PDA

View Full Version : ** WHO WANTS TO DO A MARINE RADIO COURSE **

Mudcrab
29-04-2004, 04:20 PM
You know, one of the things that makes it worth stirring the old pot in Ausfish is the excellent replies from some damned responsible Boaties who suddenly develop an interest in expanding their skills and knowledge. If it gets just one guy to learn something that gets him/her out of trouble or saves a life, then it is worth it!

OK, here's the deal!

DATES: Tuesday 22nd. June and Wednesday 23rd. June
TIME: 7.00 pm to 10.00 pm both nights
COST: $65 to cover the mandatory Government MROCP Manual and final examination. We need this on the first night as we have to fork out the whole lot initially. We make NO charges to Ausfish members!
WHERE: Our Unit at the end of Colburn Avenue Victoria Point. Turn left at the end and we are down on the left hand side. Can't miss it!
BRING: One passport photo
EXAM: Usually two weeks later by mutual agreement of all applicants. About 60 minutes needed, night preferred.
OTHER: Not an easy course but we got 9 out of 10 through the last one. Course is very full on to get through in the time and you can expect to sag a little as it progresses. The first night is the worst! You will need two weeks to do some catch up study and if you don't do this, you will fail!
SIGN UP: Let me know either by email to: idf@bigpond.net.au or a message herein is also fine. Likewise call me on 0407 029 704. It is a huge help if applicants can mail a cheque for the $65 to:
Mr. ID Fischer
10 Captains Court
Raby Bay Qld 4163.
We can't take plastic unfortunately.
If you have to cancel out suddenly, the money is returned!
Maybe Phil or some of the last bunch of Ausfish guys might like to make a comment in here??
Cheers
Ian Fischer

Hookem_Herby
29-04-2004, 04:29 PM
Yep, count me in Ian!
Cheers,
Herby

Sportfish_5
29-04-2004, 05:19 PM
Ian - Do these courses get run at other VMRs such as Bribie??

Vic Point is too far for me.

Cheers

Greg

searaider
29-04-2004, 05:53 PM
Hi Guys,
I was one of the 10 that took the last VHF radio lisence course .
I would highly recommend the course to anyone wanting to learn the correct procedure on how to use the VHF radio .
Both Ian and Lloyd from Vic. Point VMR who do the training do an excellent job. As stated in Ian's post the course is pretty full on for the Two nights , but with a bit of study before the exam ( all questions are multiple choice ) it's not that hard to pass .
In would again like to thank Ian & Lloyd for the effort they put into the training , as well as the friendly atmosphere and the odd joke included in the serious side of the training . [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

I hope you get enough starters to run some of the other courses mentioned in your previous Post

Peter
Searaider 2

Mudcrab
29-04-2004, 06:02 PM
Yep, VMR Bribie is a first class unit and I am 99.9% certain that they do these courses. Give Horrie HUNT a call on 5497 4248 and ask him. I also believe that Coastguard Manly run a radio course especially for the public. Steve Fleming is a good guy over there, call him on Tel: 3393 4080.

Mudcrab
Yep, VMR Bribie is a first class unit and I am 99.9% certain that they do these courses. Give Horrie HUNT a call on 5497 4248 and ask him. I also believe that Coastguard Manly run a radio course especially for the public. Steve Fleming is a good guy over there, call him on Tel: #3393 4080.

Wonder how I delete this second post!!

Gazza
Ian , if me boatdriver was knocked unconcious ,and i don't do the course ,and babble ,"we're drifting towards the bar ,me mates unconcious ,what do i do ?......."

WOULD U answer?

Mudcrab
29-04-2004, 06:39 PM
Tough call Gazza!
I assume "bar" is the one where the big greenies live and not the local? If the latter we would probably join you there...........
If you can grab a microphone, press the button and talk then you are at least on the right track. 'Cos if you don't know how to turn it on, tune it, set the mute and the volume controls, select the right channel and don't know how to activate the mike then you are not looking terribly good! You would also have to know your approximate position to ensure we got there quickly, and could you use the GPS to make it bang on? Someone babbling anything on a microphone is better than nothing I guess and it wouldn't be the first time it had happened. Not a silly question though as there have been a few instances over the years where Dad chucks a wobbly and Mum is all alone with the kids wondering how to get help. Back to your question though, would I come and get you? Nah, probably not! You might be one of those guys who works best under pressure!

Gazza
29-04-2004, 06:49 PM
So if you said "alpha,bravo ,10-4 loser ,PSTS " ,it would be appreciated #;D :D :D :D

PSTS #??? :P ....see you don't know every circumstance-lingo-yabba

Please Swim To Shore , as you don't have a GPS either!! #:o loser ;)

[smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Angel_Fish
01-05-2004, 08:45 AM
But Of course I would take the course,,,

I'll email you today, with my email and the info you need.

Have a great day!

adamleah
01-05-2004, 01:29 PM
Ian,

I will be a certainty there ...
Missed the last one cause I was getting married...
I will PM you with my contact details

Adam

adamleah
01-05-2004, 01:34 PM
Ian,
just tried PM'ing you Ian but it comes up that I am PM'n a member named Mudcrab every time I hit your "PM me" link....

Anyhow ...You can get me on cobofcorn@hotmail.com to send me any more details...

regards adam

Lucky_Phill
01-05-2004, 02:02 PM
That is Ok Adam, mudcrab will get to Ian.

The course not only educates you in VHF radio, but Batteries, EPIRB's and other info. Sure , anyone can press the mic, but, in cases of emergency, proceedures followed can save lives.

Course recommended.

Looking forward to the HF side of things down the track.

Phill