PDA

View Full Version : Are you guilty of killing Aust industry

bugman
07-05-2004, 07:57 AM
I used to be, but I thought I'd put up some tidbits here.

Following on from Landline's prawn story got to see a bit of the research done before and subsequent.

Did you know that imported farmed prawns from Asia are being landed in Australia for as low as $3 a kilo - averaging - $5.

Last month one wholesale operator brought in 25,000 tonne. Last month one of Australia's biggest prawn farms near Darwin closed his doors on 25 hectares (that's right hectares) of ponds because he can't compete.

Over 90% of Australian consumers pay little attention to "where the product comes from"

The imports are not subject to any of the regulations/restrictions which are placed on Australian prawns.

Who buys prawns from Coles or Woolies? I don't anymore.

Sorta follows on from a previous thread about seafood export and free markets etc

Bugman

Kerry
07-05-2004, 08:09 AM
Who buys prawns from Coles or Woolies? I don't anymore.

Never have, but always am amused by the signs

Fresh (whatever), thawed for your convienience ::) it's not all that funny but one has to be a little amused

Cheers, Kerry.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
07-05-2004, 08:21 AM
probably more palatable frozen anyway

lol kerry

SeaHunt
07-05-2004, 09:34 AM
$5 a kilo, they still manage to sell them for $20 or more.. ???

The whole world is going to the dogs, driven by greed.
You see Telstra, some bank or Coles Myer report a record profit for the year of a few hundred million dollars , and the share price drops and they CAN some manager because the experts expected MORE????.... WTF ....Why isn't a few hundred million enough?

Every year they have to make more than last year, so the little ladder climbers have to think up new ways to save more money and increase margins.
The end result is usually little people like our primary producers getting well and truely screwed.
I can't see how it can go on forever.. One day we will have no primary producers left, because we decided it was cheaper to import eveything from China and then they will put the price up.
Anyway I better get off the soapbox and do some work... :P

Kerry
07-05-2004, 10:31 AM
probably more palatable frozen anyway

Your probably not wrong :-X but hey this is the "Fresh food people" as fresh as it can be, Thawed ;D

Take a peak at the dairy industry, who's skimming the cream off >:( it certainly ain't the farmers

Cheers, Kerry.