PDA

View Full Version : Another dodgey fish substitution story

bugman
07-05-2004, 07:48 AM
Species label scam reeled in
By Kelvin Bissett
May 5, 2004

UP to one quarter of all fish sold in Australia may be deceptively labelled as the wrong species, according to a national survey using DNA evidence.

Labels on fish might not always accurately describe their subject.

According to the findings, the duping of consumers is rife in restaurants and cafes, where what you ate was what you ordered on just 64.2 per cent of occasions.

Research by Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ) in conjunction with state health agencies concluded fish substitution is widespread across the nation.

The pilot survey tested DNA markers – which do not break down in the cooking process and are highly accurate – to check fish authenticity.

The research was based on almost 200 raw and cooked samples from food outlets, seafood shops and wholesale locations.

The fish samples were purchased covertly.

Fish samples were correctly labelled in only 76.8 per cent of samples.

The survey focused on raw and uncooked fillets of red emperor, barramundi and western dhufish (not related to the east and southern coast jewfish).

Restaurants, cafes and other food service establishments had the highest rate of deception, with only 64.2 per cent serving the fish they claimed to serve.

The highest level of compliance was from wholesale outlets, where 88.9 per cent of fish samples were found to be properly labelled.

For the individual fish species, red emperor was as correctly billed in just 58.8 per cent of samples sold in both seafood markets, restaurants and cafes.

When listed on the menu in a restaurant or cafe, it was correct on only 31.3 per cent of occasions.

Barramundi samples had a comparatively high (86.8 per cent) authenticity in restaurants, although sometimes the variations of barramundi were wrong.

The dhufish samples were collected only in Western Australia and only 53.8 per cent turned out to be dhufish.

The FSANZ said the results were "indicative of problems in consistently and correctly indentifying the species of fish at all levels of the food supply".

NSW Minister for Fisheries and Agriculture Ian Macdonald responded to the survey yesterday with plans for a fresh crackdown on fish substitution.

Mr Macdonald said it was important to recognise the small size of the sample, but even so, the issue "needs to be addressed".

Under the new regime, individuals can be fined $55,000 while corporations face penalties of $255,000.

The Daily Telegraph

Kerry
07-05-2004, 07:57 AM
Ah Red Emperor? almost a pastime in picking the real thing but if one has eaten it often enough it doesn't even require anything too scientific to ask to see the cook :-X

But apart from substitution some of the creative flashy names for dull, bland sounding actual names for lower grade produce is also rather "creative" marketing :P

Cheers, Kerry.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
07-05-2004, 08:03 AM
wasn't there a bust down the Gold Coast in the last couple of months of one of the major restaurants for just that ???

chris

ps I can tell ya the substitution occurs at ALL levels - having had pro mates who sold tonnes of catfish fillet as white reef - the wholesaler & retailer may have not even be aware but these days leaving the skin may stop that sort of scam at the base level -

raefpud
07-05-2004, 11:58 AM
there needs to be some sort of uniformity amongst fish names and marketing names in Australia as this has always been a problem - i dont need to give too many examples here as u all know that jewfish, dhufish, jewies and mulloway can mean 4 different types of fish.

Marketing names (and its perfectly legal to do give a fish a marketing name, with some restrictions) are another problem as currently there are about half a dozen different fish that can have the marketing name "snapper", not to mention bream, perch and others, and i do believe that AFMA are trying to solve this problem at the moment.

I am actually surprised u get what u get 64% of the time, i thought it would have been less than that.

life would be much easier for me if bream was called Acanthopagrus australis, but i guess we cant all revert back to the scientific names for fish now can we???

Well done Bugman, keep up the interesting posts

kc
07-05-2004, 07:58 PM
Part of the drama with Red Emporer is the name of all the other fish used in its place. Red Emperor, Red Throut Emperor, reddies/red jew and pinkies are 4 very different fish but all easily called red emperor on a fish shop/cafe/restaurant menu.

Personally I am not surprised only 58% of it is actually the real deal. The fillets of Red emperor, red jewies/reddies and pinkies are pretty hard to tell appart. Red throut is pretty easy to pick but this is probaley the one most often called red emperor on the menu.

barra on the other hand is DFE...sticks out like dogs balls, except the imported fish fram crap. It looks decidedly unbarra like but being an import is not subject to our strict labelling laws. I was recently served some in a restuarant (imported"barra") which very clearly was not barra....had a big whinge, and the end result was....imported..nothing we (Dept of fair trading) can or will do about it.

Makes it hard!! & you can buy this crap for $12 a kg and local stuff is $21.

KC