PDA

View Full Version : Location Location Location

gunna
06-05-2004, 02:53 PM
Bit of a hypothetical for you all.
Sometime next year I will be moving back to S/E Qld.I want to live where I have access to good estuary & outside fishing. I want a fairly reliable bar.
Couple obvious choices. Down Redland Bay area with access to the Pin and Moreton Bay.
Down towards the Coast (maybe Runaway Bay) where I get the Pin, Broadwater & outside via the Seaway. Lastly up round Maroochy with access to inside Bribie, the couple rivers and the Mooloolaba bar.
So the hypothetical. If you locals had that choice - where would your preferred locality be ?

caveman
06-05-2004, 03:18 PM
any where as long as theres wild BARRA

philip_thomson
06-05-2004, 05:41 PM
hey
i personally love Noosa bit mroe expensive bar can be a bit of an issue however once you get across bar you have great reefs and spots within 2km from the bar. the noosa river if you know were to fish can produce very well. out of your 3 listed locations i would probably pick moololabah/marrochydore area as i have always caught fish at marochydore. it is just a segestion hope it can be of some help
philip

Mudcrab
07-05-2004, 05:23 AM
Agree that Mooloolaba is a great spot! The Barwon Banks fish consistantly well and not that far a run. The bar is different insofar as the exit point from the leads is parallel to the waves and not directly into them. That means you can sit in the quiet stuff and pick the time to head out with the option of a quick return if it looks bad. Of course there are some problems with running along the sides of big waves going out and also with them on the way back. Remember that there is no such thing as a reliable bar. What is a millpond going out can turn into a raging monster when an offshore "set" opposes the run out tide. Where ever you settle, first thing is go and see the local rescue Unit, have a talk to them, then hook up with a local and experienced Boatie who would be more than happy to accompany you on the first few trips. #If the onshore wind is above 20 knots and seas more than one metre, go the local "bar" - lot safer and more comfortable!

Commodore
07-05-2004, 11:08 AM
Wynnum /Manly is the place to be, easy access to the bay and outside, 5 minutes to gateway arterial for north and south access, Close to CBD and airport, 6 train stations and good ramps and clubs.

craigie
07-05-2004, 01:47 PM
Well i'm with 'Commodore ' ;D ;D, Wynnum is very central to both coasts (only an hour travel time either way), as well as offering the Bay and it's reefs if you want to fish locally. Prawns and Crabs in the local creeks and rivers.

Commodore, where did you catch the great 'Nobby's' ???

Regards
Craigie.

gunna
08-05-2004, 04:54 AM
What are the ramps like around Wynnum. I was astounded to read about some of the crowds and delayes at your ramps over the recent holidays. Says something about boat ownership per capita :o :o

Commodore
08-05-2004, 07:28 AM
Craigie,
Caught those little fella's inside the bay last year at spot x ;D. I know a few regulars know where the spot is and what time to fish for them, not there all the time, should be getting close to the time, hope the weather will hold. ??? I'm in the process of selling my baot so could be a deckie this year.

Gunna,
Ramps in the area are great and not so busy, only on long weekends when weather is really good you may have to wait for 5. You have plenty to chose from, Fish Is, Wynnum creek, Manly public, Manly Boat club, Public at RQ, ramp at Tingalpa creek all with in 10 min of Wynnum / Manly.
Matt

SeaHunt
08-05-2004, 08:51 AM
Hey Matt,
If you show me the spot where you caught those two, you can be a deckie on my boat anytime... ;D
Seriously, I usually put in at Pinkenba though.. Was it anywhere near Mud or are we talking over a bit further, say near Rous.?

Commodore
08-05-2004, 10:35 AM
SeaHunt,
Look a bit closer, there is one more in the tree ;D ;D ;D
Thanks for the offer, anything could happen, it should be fun watching all the skippers driving around blind folded till we get to spot x ;D ;D ;).
and no not near Mud or the Rous, although have caught some good fish there but not of that quality.
when the time is right i post for a lift and see what happens, normally call the trip with only a few hours notice as i work close to the bay, go and have a smoke, check conditions and call it ;)
and hopefully hook up!!!
Matt

SeaHunt
08-05-2004, 10:58 AM
I was leaving the one in the tree out, he didn't look guite big enough. 8)
Not sure those tree climbing ones are that good to eat anyway [smiley=evilgrin.gif].
OK I'll keep an eye out... I have only recently started concentrating on the top end of the bay, so still a lot to learn, I usually head down Jumpin Pin way or up the coast.