PDA

View Full Version : Navigating the Logan River - by Subzero

Mudcrab
06-05-2004, 06:25 AM
Subzero (Lloyd Finn VMR Vicky Point Duty Skipper in disguise) has kindly offered to publish his experiences in the Logan to all Ausfish members. This classic biography discusses all the shallows, sandbars and totally unexplored areas of the mouth of the Logan. If ever you were unsure where those "try to avoid areas" are then Lloydy can help you keep clear of them! There are very few places Subzero has not been in this area. Hurry and order your copy now while stocks last ,,,,,,,,,,

jaybee
06-05-2004, 10:45 AM
so what is the price? and where can it be purchased?
cheers
Joe

Mudcrab
06-05-2004, 01:55 PM
Subzero will emerge from his hole any time now and let you know more details......... won't you Lloydy?

subzero
06-05-2004, 02:01 PM
Wheres the Logan?
Im still looking for it.

jaybee
06-05-2004, 02:21 PM
okay guys, now you got me thinking this is a bit sus roflmao
cheers
Joe

vp3
06-05-2004, 02:24 PM
Lloyd is the reason why you posted this topic to hide some of your shame. Why don't you tell the world what really happened, or would you like me to tell my version.

Lucky_Phill
06-05-2004, 03:40 PM
Ian Fischer, vp3.... mmmm ! sounds like a set up Lloyd.

OR, have you got something to tell us.

Sandbar ?

Charter Boat ? wot Charter Boat ?

Common, Lloydy, come clean !!!!!!!! ;D

subzero
06-05-2004, 05:02 PM
Ha ha ha.... Gidday Phill, would you settle for the story I was abducted by aliens... otherwise the other version is a long and boring story....

Truth of the matter is,
Brand new VP1 first day in use for our Roster, (The one we have now), On the water bringing it on to the ramp to trailer it and put it in the yard at the end of the day when I get a call for a power boat reported broken down at the top of McLeay Island. Reported wanted tow back to Vicky Point. Weather was 25knt + S/W, falling to bottom of tide.
Because I had only gone to our mooring, I did not have my own personal kit which included everything I would have needed to get about including handheld GPS. Did not know how to use the "you beaut, everything that opens and shuts plotter, radar, gps" etc on the vessel.
Decided I didnt need all that gear as it should have been an easy job.... so I went...
Truth of the matter was
1) Took longer to get to him than anticipated, He was not at the top of McLeay, we finaly found him at Karraggarra. It was by now going dark. (At the time I was a restricted to DAYTIME Skipper). I should have been back at our ramp if he was where he said he wasby this time.
2) When I got their it turned out he wanted to go to Carbrook, Logan River. (I had never been to the Logan, and was restricted in my areas of operation while under training, and this was well outside my restricted area).
3) The 14ft boat was overloaded, 4 or 5 little kids on board, dad had been in the water trying to hold the boat on a sandbar, as i guess he had no anchor or it wouldnt hold, the kids were all crying and very tired, Mum had had enough, like a fool I said I would take them... BIG MISTAKE!!!! (Now nightime)
4) Spent probably 2 hours trolling back and forwards in the middle of winter with a boat load of people under tow trying to find the mouth of the Logan in filthy weather at low tide, with a new boat, shitty vision with the glare of lights on the windscreen, no knowledge of the Nav equipment, could not see anymore than one set of beacons at a time so I could not plot my possition to any clearly defined area, inexperienced Skiper (Me), inexperienced crew that happened to be on the boat when we got the call for a "SIMPLE JOB" yea right!!!!
Finally gave up called the illutrious Commodore on the phone for advice, said I was buggered if I could find the chanel, (At dead low tide by the time I got there it all looked to shallow for a chanel for a new kid on the block), he told me to take them back to our ramp as we are only required to take them to a "Safe Berth"... Damned good advice!!!
Returned to Vicky Point, OHHH WHAT A WELLCOME SIGHT!!!!!
Weather was still ABSOLUTELY UGLY. Before heading back I had taken Mum and the kids on to VP1 and they were all cowering in the Bow cabin. Looked at the ramp, waves breaking over it, afraid kids could get hurt if getting of on ramp, called for the trailer to be brought down and I would drive on fully loaded for everyones sake. By now my confidence in myself was waning, couple of the kids were really going for it crying, thought screw it, gotta get this right first time or I might get my self into even a worse mess, scored it in one thank god.... first drive on trailer recovery in this boat especially in those conditions...
Pretty relieved, took the family into the back yard to get off the boat on the newly built steps for getting on and off the boats safely....
Helped the kids off the boat, turned my back on mum comming down the steps, she promptly slipped on the non-slip steps, sprained her ankle... we fed them, dryed them, treated them with first aid, recovered their boat, drove her husband to Carbrook to get car and Trailer, took Mum and the kids home to Daisy Hill.... what a night!!!!!

Moral of the story....
When someone says they will be somewhere, they probably wont be!!!!
Dont over commit yourself because you dont want to let someone down...
Learn to use the equipment you have asap, because when you need to use it you wont have time to sit down and read the manual.
When going on the water even to just bring your boat of the mooring, go prepared for anything as invariobly it is likely to turn to sh.t.
Restrictions are in place to recognise your ability and protect you and your crew, (I did not intentionally break my night time rating, I should have been back before nightfall)
Area Restrictions are for the same reasons as above, (Thought how hard can this be, figure out how to use the new equipment in 2 minutes, yea right)
Non slip steps are NOT non slip!!!!
Take the time to select the right boat for the job.
Take the time to select the right crew for the job.

What did I do right, swallow my pride, ring the boss, put everyones safety before my own ego, learned from my mistakes, (I like to think I did), stuck it out with VMR when all I really wanted to do was dig a bi g whole and hide in it....
Possitives, I am over it now, on my roster we all joke about it, we have all learned from it, and when I train anyone new I use it as a point of how things can go bad VERY QUICKLY, and to stop and think before going and doing something stupid...
Anyway, thats the short paperback version, like I said in the Hardcover book I have a heap more crappy excuses for poor decision making and seamanship... Guess what, apart from fundraising, I love every minute of it... well most of the time!!!
LEARN FROM MY MISTAKES, I MADE PLENTY OF THEM, worst being I had the equipment and didnt know how to use it

vp3
08-05-2004, 02:10 PM
Well done Lloyd thats the way it was
Cheers Ian

Lucky_Phill
08-05-2004, 04:27 PM
Sounds like a simple S & R to me ;D ;)

Phill ::)