PDA

View Full Version : Red and Green beacons....

Gazza
07-05-2004, 03:06 AM
Since 'Subzero has admitted to being human in the other post hereabouts #[smiley=2thumbsup.gif] ;D :D :D

Tell me this.... My Dad taught me a while ago ,to 'remember' by thinking
RED
Port
LEFT

Simple , Port(drink) is RED
LEFT and Port have same number of letters

also Green and Right have the same numbers of letters ,but 'hard' to remember #;D :D :D :D

Now, think about beacons being MADE ,that were RED oneside ,Green the otherside.
Travelling to or from the ramp , would ALWAYS have RED/Green the correct way #around :o ??? ???

(think about it ,forget the shape #;) )

Gazza

Kerry
07-05-2004, 04:26 AM
Yeah but which side ;D Like putting "open other end" on both ends of the milk carton.

Like how many sides are there on a round pile ;) How about square "beacons" then you could have 4 sides, pick any 2 ;D

Side on there would be all the little "boats", and all the "beacons" twinkling red & green.

Nah just make one way channels and throw in some "round-a-boats" :-/

Cheers, Kerry.

Mudcrab
07-05-2004, 05:08 AM
We try (not always successfuly) to teach our crews that it doesn't matter if the beacon is purple with white dots, that they should know WHY the beacon is there in the first place i.e. every beacon around Coochie Island - irrespective of colour - says "keep away from this island! Now of course this means that you should have a pretty good idea of where you will be going and also that for new waters, you should plan the trip beforehand and know what to expect. I know this system has flaws in it but when a string of five green beacons runs alongside a pile of rocks, what they are trying to say is very important. Another good example is that on the foreshore of Vicky Point, we have two red beacons that are not that far off the rocky foreshore but you would be amazed the number of boats that go on the wrong side of them - over the ruff stuff! They have obviously got the right side mixed up but also have no idea of why the beacons are there in the first place. It is also obvious that too many Boaties operate on the "hope I am right" principle rather than have a chart out and be AHEAD of the boat when looking for beacons rather than wondering what that last one was just passed.
Another rule that works (contrary to the above) is RRO (or Red Right Out). The OUT meaning away from the relative PORT. Not a brilliant rule but some people like it! The PORT = RED Wine is also a great idea!

SeaHunt
07-05-2004, 06:43 AM
I just use GRIS, Green on the Right going In , Starboard.
The only problem is down at the bottom end of Moreton bay with all those channels and Islands, it is difficult to tell if you are going in or out. :P

aido
07-05-2004, 08:14 AM
red-port-left-in the bottle is a good one,
works for me too.

bugman
07-05-2004, 08:18 AM
Ditto,

There's no port "left" in the bottle and the Stars are always "Right"

Bugman

whiteman
07-05-2004, 08:55 AM
Get a sticker from Waterways (NSW version has them 'cause that's what's on my boat).

If you've got to learn a limerick to determine the difference between red and green, how many poems did you learn before you passed your licence test?

CHRIS_aka_GWH
07-05-2004, 09:17 AM
Now, think about beacons being MADE ,that were RED oneside ,Green the otherside.
Travelling to or from the ramp , would ALWAYS have RED/Green the correct way #around :o ??? ???

(think about it ,forget the shape #;) )

Gazza

I have 2 friends at least that are colour blind. To them the shape of the beacon is of primary importance.

From 1 km away my eyesight (& yours) distinguishes shape much more readily than colour. Colour & flash frequency comes into it own at night - how do you make a light that that way with 360 degree character.

I am amazed how few boaties know how to interpret cardinal marks.

The system at the moment works really well if you take the time to learn it. Perhaps it biggest drawback is knowing where the home port is based (are you leaving port etc)

chris

SeaHunt
07-05-2004, 11:12 AM
I am pretty sure I have cardinal marks sorted, including the number of light flashs, still..
I say STILL because I knew all the rules when I got the boat lisence , but you soon forget the uncommon stuff, like those funny shaped things that dredges , trawlers and large boats are supposed to display that tell you weather they are working or anchored or scratching their arses or whatever :P

Cheech
07-05-2004, 02:52 PM
Going in and out of port has never been a problem. Red on red going in, and red on green going out. But like seahunt said, can be tricky trying to work out if you are going in or out sometimes.

I find cardinals really easy, but I know some have trouble with the east and west. Think of west as a wine glass shape amd then west becomes easy. East is easy if you think of it looking like a lower case e .

As for dredges, trawlers, anything else bigger than me, the rulses are simple. Stay the hell out of there way. Don't even try to work out who has right of way. I just assume that the other guy does not know the rules. Helps keep me safe.

Cheech

Remo
07-05-2004, 03:19 PM
its amazing to see how many run a ground in the nerang river as most markers are in the middle of the river due to the large sand banks. On average 4 a week on just the one bank that is directly in front of us.

philip_thomson
07-05-2004, 03:22 PM
i just remember the long saying red on the right out to sea red on the left home from sea. or just remember how i drive on the noosa river. just got to watch out for the odd guy sitting infront of the floating bouys. got a great photo of a big boat stuck on a sand bank at noosa. basically if the sounder pisses me off with the depth warning i know i am heading for trouble :-)
philip

philip_thomson
07-05-2004, 03:24 PM
hah one day up at noosa me and a friend couted how many boats ran aground on the 1 sand bank in about 2 hrs. i think we got to about 40 boats. (maority hire boats) or impatient people.

Gazza
07-05-2004, 04:39 PM
ok ,ok
i've had a re-think...
let's paint 'em haf-n-haf ,so we just run into 'em ,and easier for VMR to actually know, where we are #;D ;D and so-what, their hulls crumpled figures go up #:-X

AND the colour blind dudes, just keep on happily goin' in-between the funny shapes both sides of the channel, amongst the chaos. ;)

;D :D :D :D

bungie
08-05-2004, 01:15 PM
I take it then this is not the correct use of a beacon ???

http://www.coleraineyachtclub.co.uk/assets/images/Crash.jpg

Billo
08-05-2004, 01:44 PM
here is one i was told ...and for those who are NOT colour blind ....its too easy !

Always drink the last of the red port left on the way home .

MY-TopEnder
08-05-2004, 04:20 PM
Out of port red to green, into port red to red... thats what i was taught and has worked for me.

And anyone who doesn't look at a chart is bloody crazy really. I mean how much is a Beacon to Beacon these days? ok so it may not have depth markings but meh.

Gazza
08-05-2004, 04:32 PM
Now i am confused ;D ......red to red?

webby
08-05-2004, 04:34 PM
Gazza this ones for you so you dont get lost or maybe Vmr Vicky point (subzero) could use it ;D
Call charges are Overseas though.
regards

Gazza
08-05-2004, 04:37 PM
Hey ,where do i put the money in ? ;D :D :D :D

MY-TopEnder
08-05-2004, 04:56 PM
Now i am confused #;D ......red to red?
Red to Red basically means Port to Port... so the port side of the boat, facing the port side of the channel.

MY-TopEnder
08-05-2004, 04:57 PM
On second thoughts i think i have it round the wrong way... oh bugger... i'll sober up and check it again. hehehe i know it when i'm on the water i'm just tired and intoxicated.

basserman
08-05-2004, 05:09 PM
when comeing into a port or up river you keep your port (red) side to the port (red) maker
when heading out or down stream you have your sarboard (green) side to the port maker
thats international so it is the same no mater where you are ;D

MY-TopEnder
08-05-2004, 05:11 PM
Yeah in that case i had it backwards.

Out of port red to green, into port red to red.

argonautical
09-05-2004, 08:31 AM
I always wondered what those red and green thingies meant. Good thing about small tinnies you can navigate by feel, although unlit beacons at night can be a bitch.

And as for the water between Canaipa and say Wavebreak Is. it would be really handy if they put up signs to say that the direction of buoyage has just changed or was about to. I defy anyone (cept probably the VMR guys ) to know all the time where the home port is.

argo

el_carpo
09-05-2004, 09:02 AM
Well, I hope I'm not going to confuse anyone here, but here in the U.S. we are taught red, right, returning. If it's the same everywhere, this will help you remember it, if it isn't the same everywhere, forget you ever read this as you will get in an accident and lose your boat and possibly be injurred in a tragic event of some kind. :'(

Hoping I helped, not hurt,
El Carpo.

subzero
09-05-2004, 09:18 AM
Gidday el_carpo... yep forget your advice....
In Australia we use I.A.L.A "A" bouage system. In the States, Canada etc, they use I.A.L.A "B" A bit like you fellas over their have'nt figured out which side of the road to drive on and you also get mixed up with which side to put the steering wheels on in the cars. (I heard that was why they invented centre console boats for you blokes). ;D
;)

subzero
09-05-2004, 09:24 AM
I have never understood why ALL beacons are not numbered.... bridges are, breakdown phones on the highway are, turn off signs on the motorway are, the way I see it, if you can get close enough to a beacon to read its identifying number, we can tell you where you are even if you cant.... would help us a hell of a lot to find boats that give the wrong locations etc....
mind you, I must concede I have never mentioned it to anyone to see if it is at all a practical sollution... the idea has probably got some holes in it, but what we have currently, sure doesnt help...

el_carpo
09-05-2004, 09:47 AM
;D Subzero, we drive on the "right" side of the road. How can that be wrong? ;D ;D ;D

But seriously, thanks for the lesson on the harbor lights differences. Never knew that there were different systems. See, this site just keeps paying off!

O.K., you heard the man, forget you ever heard red right returning! I don't want to be responsible for anyone's watery demise. :P

argonautical
09-05-2004, 10:32 AM
hey Subzero,

I like your idea, as you say just like the way the exits are numbered on the motorway.

I also think that the red and green beacons should indicate on which side a vessel should pass, in the same way that cardinal marks do. If the red and greens were like either side of the "diver below" indicator flag, they would retain a distinctive shape to aid those not good with colours and be able to provide a direction of travel.

argo

subzero
09-05-2004, 10:58 AM
I has many advantages, ie, if a light is out on a beacon, you dont have to give a description such as the 3rd green on the right past the....., just give the number... lot of different ways of doing things.... even numbers... pass on the port side.... uneven numbers... pass on the starboard.... and so on.... updating of notices to mariners for those that dont use charts and refer to brownies only for instance.... at least you know which becon is now unlit, removed, altered in possition with out lat/long, deviders, sliding rulers etc etc... for mine it is a relatively way of IMPROVING what we have... i suppose it is a bit like the reflective markers for the fireman here in brissy... the old mayour didnt want to help the fireys out because of the cost by illuminating the hydrants....

vp3
09-05-2004, 11:12 AM
Great idea Subzero. Does any one know who to give this idea to get it happening? I believe it could save lives!

bubba
09-05-2004, 11:52 AM
i believe harbours and marine would be the place to start with this idea. i think it has merit. cant hurt to ask the question....would help vmr guys in being able to locate vessels a lot quicker....cheers bubba.