PDA

View Full Version : What's the longest you could go without fishing?

Gorilla_in_Manila
07-05-2004, 12:58 PM
Hi all,
Ben's (Maria) comment on the fishing NSW post, that 8 days was too long to go without fishing, got me thinking about how long it has actually been since I threw a line in.
Now, since I will be touching down at Bris airport at about 5:30am on tuesday 11 May, assuming I can get all my gear sorted, it will probably be about 3:30pm that afternoon by the time I chuck a line in (weather permitting).
That makes it exactly 378 days or 54 weeks since I last went fishing. :o :'(

Sucks, don't it!

Unfortunately, there was one other time when I was first posted to Malaysia, that I went 56 weeks.

So, just wondering how long other keen fisho's have gone without fishing, or what would be the longest time you think you could stand without going nuts?

Cheers
Jeff

philip_thomson
07-05-2004, 01:04 PM
hey
now that i don;t get sea sick when i go offshore i can;t survive long. it is now 23 days since i have been offshore fising from noosa on a charter and i am literally insane i can;t cope i need to get out again but i not got my license and my dad got to work :-( it horible just horrible. apart form that i went out on monday in my boat with dad and i need to go out again. fishing can be a real problem in that it is so addictive
man i don't know how you surived 56 weeks without fishing
hopefully you can get at em soon
cheers
philip

craigie
07-05-2004, 01:21 PM
Geez Jeff,

Lucky you can Cyber-Fish at Ausfish, but still most fishos would be a dribbling mess after a year without Fishing.
I'm not sure if I could ever be compensated financially to stop fishing for too long ;D

Drop me a line if your looking for a fish/want a ride in the 'Cyclone' when you get back to Aus.

Cheers
Craig.

beefaman
07-05-2004, 01:26 PM
I reckon I couldnt last anymore than 2 weeks.....

mackmauler
07-05-2004, 01:36 PM
Jeff, that is far to long mate ;D hope you get some good days in and its not that long till your next fix!

the longest since nappies would of been when golf was my main interest, used to practice a few times a week to maintain the single figure handicap only fishn once every few months.

not long ago the winds were pretty strong and about 3 weeks went by without getting out, that was a restless time as the action had been weekly up till then and its been similar since. im not into any estuary type fishn at the moment so quiet content to sit back and wait for weather that makes the wider grounds fishable, plenty of fishn on here scraches the itch too 8)

Rob (fishn bluewater tomorrow) ;D

Gorilla_in_Manila
07-05-2004, 01:38 PM
Thanks Craig, that would be great.
Just gotta arrange someone to babysit my wife and keep my kid company. ;)
Yep that's me, dribbling mess. Makes ya beer go flat. ;D
Very nearly went harrassing some carp in a fountain at a nearby shopping centre, but the dudes with the pump action 12 gauge shotties didn't look like they would understand. ::)
Cheers
Jeff

MY-TopEnder
07-05-2004, 02:30 PM
Due to a little run in with a speed camera and a good behavior period license, i'll be taking a 6 month break from driving, which means no towing the boat... damm thats gonna hurt. 6 months without fishing.

jeffo
07-05-2004, 03:44 PM
i would have to say a few days is all i could go with out wetting a line somewhere...

Cheech
07-05-2004, 04:38 PM
I'm not even sure if the need to go fishing actually has much to do with fishing.... Let me explain.

I was heavily into another sport (skydiving actually) for nearly 20 years. Instructor, into competition, national medals. Pretty well consumed my life. Was at the DZ every weekend for all of that time. 2 or 3 weeks is about the longest I ever went without a jump. That is an awful lot of cold nights hanging around a campfire. A lot of money on jumps at $30.00 a jump and 10 to 12 jumps a weekend when in training for a comp. Then I had a pretty major frap in and broke my back, anckle, and minced my leg (is now 30mm shorter than the other one).

So after I realised I would never be fit enough to jump again, I had a go at something I always said I would when I got round to slowing down enough to smell the roses. So I started fishing a bit over a year ago.

Now, I read everything, research constantly, bought a boat within a couple of months of picking up that first rod (at the age of 43), considering what my next boat is going to be and how I will fit it out, moved from thinking a reel under $100.00 was probably still expensive to now having to save and plan my gear purchases. etc, etc.

So back to the question, If you are intense and compulsive in whatever you do like me, then probably not long. Even tonight the missus asked which day I was going fishing on the weekend, not, "if" I was going fishing.

Cheech

Gazza
07-05-2004, 04:50 PM
Thanks Craig, that would be great.
Just gotta arrange someone to babysit my wife and keep my kid company. ;)
Yep that's me, dribbling mess. Makes ya beer go flat. ;D
Very nearly went harrassing some carp in a fountain at a nearby shopping centre, but the dudes with the pump action 12 gauge shotties didn't look like they would understand. ::)
Cheers
Jeff

pick me, pick me :o :o

;D :D :D :D

el_carpo
07-05-2004, 07:47 PM
I haven't been fishing in over two months and am fast approaching the breaking point. :o My tropical aquarium fish eye me nervously every time I walk by ;D. I wonder what a good bait for guppy would be? Oh man, I've got to go fishing!!! :P Maybe if I fake my own death.......Good Lord! I'm really losing it! ;D

Zeeke
07-05-2004, 07:48 PM
i havent been fishing in such a long time.. ::) honest!

havent been fishing since tuesday and im already having withdrawl symptoms!!

Tim

Gorilla_in_Manila
07-05-2004, 09:47 PM
Gazza, keep dreaming old son! ;D

Jeffo, better factor that into your career choice. ;)

Guys, thanks for the replies so far.

Guess I miss the aussie fishing lifestyle moreso than the fishing itself. Helps to fully appreciate something when you're forced to give it up for a while. (hey Topender ;))

Others, keep em coming.
Maybe add what you would miss about it if you had to give it up for a while.

Cheers
Jeff

bidkev
08-05-2004, 05:33 AM
<snip>

If you are intense and compulsive in whatever you do like me, then probably not long. Even tonight the missus asked which day I was going fishing on the weekend, not, "if" I was going fishing.

Cheech

That's me. I've had 4 loves of my life (apart from the wife and kids), photography, fishing, tropical fishkeeping, and mountaineering. At some time or other, I've suffered "burn out" and have dropped one or the other, sometimes for years at a time. I've always drifted back to 'em and when I do, they are all-consuming. I can only focus on one at a time and whichever that is, takes over my whole being.

I've researched into autism a great deal (one of my sons is autistic) and it is widely recognised that there is a genetic link. I believe that all of us have certain (autistic) characteristics, some more than others, and that it is just as to how many of those characteristics we carry that results in a diagnosis.

Two of the diagnostic criteria (my words) are "an inabilty to multi-task" and "intense interest (focus) on one's current task/interest". This is known as a "perseveration". That's me. ATM fishing, and anything to do with fishing, is my life. I live and breathe it to the exclusion of all other interests. I am trying to learn all I can about fishing in Oz, it is so different from UK fishing. The above could be diagnosed as "obsessive-compulsive" but the difference from "perseveration" is that obsessions are generally debilitating and not welcomed whereas preseveration results in intense pleasure/satisfaction......... I digress :-)

Anyway, I used to run away to go fishing as a child and would be gone for days on end, until the police returned me. I was like this until about the age of 24 when I just upped and sold all my gear in an overnight decision. Never touched it for 6 years and then started all over again, repeated the process about 6 years later, only on my next return to it, I bought a boat and that opened a whole new world for me. Again, I stopped and sold up, but on coming to Oz (8 yrs ago) I started all over again and have maintained my interest throughout, although I was somewhat limited in my approach by targeting "big stuff" from the shore and jetties.

I have the feeling that this time I'm here for good. I can't envisage *ever* dropping fishing as I have in the past and I can't envisage being without it for more than a week or two (especially now that I've sampled offshore fishing). I'm pissed because the forecast for Sunday rules out offshore, but the old grey matter is still working overtime as to the options. No way can I be without my fishing atm.

kev

Beggsy
08-05-2004, 05:37 AM
This time last year, my company (in their great wisdom) sent me to India for a few weeks...........

2 1/2 months later I got home.

Pretty well missed the whole Tailor/Bream season..... not happy, Jan.

Man, was I hanging out to wet a line !!

I tried every avenue I could to try and get a charter over there, but they simply don't exist. Even the local sewer-filled, crocodile infested lake was starting to look good.

Even found myself telling fishing stories to Indians who couldn't speak English !!! Obviously my excitement kept them partially interested, or they were just being too polite to tell me I was going mad....... bloody hard to tell with them always smiling and nodding at you...........

Maria
08-05-2004, 05:40 AM
Jeff,

Is there never a chance that you can have a fish in Malaysia? Different I know, but it would beat not fishing for a year.

Most I can go is a few days now. I used to be able to handle a few weeks, but these days it's only a few days before it's imperative that I have some form of contact with the water.

Ben

Brissyguy
08-05-2004, 07:21 AM
Sold the boat about 5 months ago and have to learn how to fish off the bank again lol.
I think we manage to throw a line in these days about once a fortnight.

Have promised myself a trip out with Rob (Mackgenius) and Peter (snappa) just gotta get my priorities right...

Like you mate Too much work confuses your priorities. LMFAO ;)

Drop me a line if you want to catch up whilst your in God's own country, although I am away at the mines all next week.

Cheers,
Rich.

NQCairns
08-05-2004, 08:11 AM
Topender wrote:Due to a little run in with a speed camera and a good behavior period license, i'll be taking a 6 month break from driving, which means no towing the boat... damm thats gonna hurt. 6 months without fishing.

What no towing on that licence??

Jeff, Take it easy with you baitcaster untill you get your thumb working again. I lose the nack in 3 months, after 12 months I would have to sell them and start over again, hope it never comes to that.

Gorilla_in_Manila
08-05-2004, 09:12 AM
Ben,

Short answer is yes I can, but haven't. Been a bit busy and its not real easy to organise a decent trip. Some safety concerns here in Philippines as well.

Cost, time and effort required to do it is about the same as it takes to get back to aus. The effort involved is very similar to what I have had to often do to get out to some remote constructions sites, so what others might see as the adventure of a lifetime, I unfortunately see as a pain in the arse. :P

I did have a 3 day trip camping and freshwater fishing with some mates in Malaysia before leaving there in 1999. Thats a bit of a long yarn though, and not sure anyone would be too interested. 12 hour drive to get there, shove a cricket on a hook on the end of a handline and disturb 3 inch fish isnt exactly what I would call a worthwhile fishing experience.

Anyway, might do something later in the year when I'm back up here with more time on my hands. Been sniffing out a couple of options.

Rich,
I'll be back for 3 months with nothing better to do than make up for lost time fishing, so hopefully can catch ya somewhere along the way. Let us know if you organise a trip outside and got room for another. Never been offshore fishing and keen to rectify that. Lobbing a line off a bank and knocking back a couple of decent beers sounds pretty good also.

NQ,
Yeah, can be a bit dangerous when I first get back to it - lures in trees, backlashes etc etc. ;D
Worst bits getting back into some sort of fitness. Pushing pen for a crust isn't exactly physically demanding and the heaviest thing I've lifted in a year is a 10 ounce mug of san miguel. The first trip around the rocks is usually a killer, wobbling and slipping all over the joint and using all those little muscles again that don't get used just walking around on flat ground.

Cheers
Jeff

basserman
08-05-2004, 11:17 AM
well i say i could last a mounth at tops without going fishing BUT if you ask my misses she thinks i'm like a bear with a sore head after only a week!
i love fishing and if i'm not fishing or at my second home (the tackle shop) then i will be here at home sorting my tackle out cruching bards or swapping trebles or looking on the web at fishing
even when i'm working i'm thinking how working is paying for fishing ;D

sir_noelus
08-05-2004, 11:54 AM
Been only a few times since Chrissie. Not good. Haven't caught a trout on a fly in over a year, but have had some good flatties from one of our estuaries, and a couple of days wide of Montagu Island on Kings. However as we are working on being away for a year soon with much of it spent as a pampered purveyor of piscatorial pursuits, playing with perfectly prepared paraphenalia, I guess that's the price one must pay. Noel

sominc
08-05-2004, 12:08 PM
basserman, it apperars that you have the same skill i have.

No matter what is going on in my world at the present time i will be able to forget it and think about fishing ;D

peewee
08-05-2004, 12:23 PM
That's me. ... At some time or other, I've suffered "burn out" and have dropped one or the other, ....do, they are all-consuming. I can only focus on one at a time and whichever that is, takes over my whole being.

I've researched into autism a great deal (one of my sons is autistic) and it is widely recognised that there is a genetic link. I believe that all of us have certain (autistic) characteristics, some more than others, and that it is just as to how many of those characteristics we carry that results in a diagnosis.

Two of the diagnostic criteria (my words) are "an inabilty to multi-task" and "intense interest (focus) on one's current task/interest". This is known as a "perseveration". That's me..... could be diagnosed as #"obsessive-compulsive" but the difference from "perseveration" is that obsessions are generally debilitating and not welcomed whereas preseveration results in intense pleasure/satisfaction......... I digress :-)
.... and I can't envisage being without it for more than a week or two (especially now that I've sampled offshore fishing). I'm pissed because the forecast for Sunday rules out offshore, but the old grey matter is still working overtime as to the options. No way can I be without my fishing atm.

kev

Kev,thx you so much for your words...You have just described me and perhaps even my son to a "T". Just to hear someone else expressing the same helps me immensely. At times,others have told me that is also classic ADHD,(the non overactive type).
Once I get to fish i feel a huge relief,which will carry me thru for most of the week,but by say Thursday again,i am desperate once again to wet a line.Just love to be comsumed by this thing.It feels so good. It's a heathy interest and lifestyle,great exercise,and a great source of good eating in the house hold.
I know that many dont understand why i may be this way,but I am now cool with it,as i understand myself now.Its not that i am selfish,or of bad character,its just the way i am. I love my fishing,and i love my fishing friends and the fraternity that is involved within. As i get to meet more of the ausfish people,i am so glad to be a part of all this.
GOOD WEATHER AND TIGHT LINES !

bidkev
09-05-2004, 05:30 AM
Kev,thx you so much for your words...You have just described me and perhaps even my son to a "T". Just to hear someone else expressing the same helps me immensely. At times,others have told me that is also classic ADHD,(the non overactive type).
Once I get to fish i feel a huge relief,which will carry me thru for most of the week,but by say Thursday again,i am desperate once again to wet a line.Just love to be comsumed by this thing.It feels so good. It's a heathy interest and lifestyle,great exercise,and a great source of good eating in the house hold.
#I know that many dont understand why i may be this way,but I am now cool with it,as i understand myself now.Its not that i am selfish,or of bad character,its just the way i am. I love my fishing,and i love my fishing friends and the fraternity that is involved within. As i get to meet more of the ausfish people,i am so glad to be a part of all this.
#GOOD WEATHER AND TIGHT LINES !

Hi Peewee.

Glad you find comfort in what I wrote. There are many adults out there who have suffered broken relationships, had difficulties with work, perhaps been considered arrogant, aloof or selfish, put their own needs above others, who simply thought they were "bad guys" and beat themselves up about it.

Nowadays (if they were kids) their difficulties would be recognised and they would receive help (hopefully). I know *many* adults who, only when their kids are diagnosed and they research to help their kids, realise just how many of their own behaviours are similar to those of their diagnosed child. They may not fulfill *all* the criteria for a diagnosis, but they are still "afflicted" by way of what is known as a "shadow" a genetic predisposition.

We are sometimes thought of as selfish because we pursue our interests in a manner that may be considered unhealthy by "normal" standards. What is not undestood by most people (other than professionals in the field of developmental disorders) is that it is detrimental to our health if we *don't*.

I'm glad that you're cool with who you are. What I now find important is not to dwell too long on *why* I am like I am (there are other childhood factors involved), but simply accept that that is the way it is/I am. I consider myself lucky that those I love, understand and accept my "idiosyncracies" there are many tortured souls out there who aren't afforded that luxury :-(

Stay cool.

kev

Brett_Hoskin
10-05-2004, 05:20 AM
Hi all,

That makes it exactly 378 days or 54 weeks since I last went fishing. :o :'(

Sucks, don't it!

Cheers
Jeff

Mate couldn't you fish over there?

I was there in 1999 2000 and I could hear the fishermen almost every night , off Marevelas, Battan. But they were using a strange fishing method....it involved a bucket of specially mixed liquid and a couple of big rocks which would be tossed over the side of the boat and they would quickly take off with their fingers in their ears. After the big bang they would collect the fish floating on the surface. I didn't agree with this method at all but it did intrigue me just the same.

Brett

Hope you enjoy your time back in Australia.

Gorilla_in_Manila
10-05-2004, 02:04 PM
Brett,

Yep could have fished up here. Take too long to explain the various reasons why I haven't. Might try do something when I get back here later in the year.

I was up north Luzon (San Fernando Ilocos Sur) for a month or so around christamas 2002. Was having a round of golf on the Navy course on a headland. Heard half a dozen enourmous BOOOMs as we played up the three hole nearest the cliff beside the ocean.
Hello, the lads are out "fishing". They use home made bombs, gunpowder packed into bamboo sections and all taped up and waxed. Roll your own wicks; which accounts for the extremely high proportions of missing hands.

They had another interesting method also. They used to lash together a few bamboo spars to make a raft about 20 x 5m. Then they would tie a heap of tree branches with leaves to it and tow it out about 10 km and anchor it. It works like an artificial reef and heaps of baitfish would hang around it. Every couple of days they would run a net around it and pull it up underneath and trap them all.

They seem to know long-lining, drift and ring netting, bombing, cyanide clouds, cast netting and some hand lining, but never seen a rod and reel being used or trolling.

I've seen baitschools come in fairly close (when I was up north) with something after them, and saw something big break the surface at 100 mile and hour for about 20m or so, so I think there is actually a possibility of trolling up some pelegics or chucking slugs at bait schools without going 20 miles out in a outrigger with no safety gear or comunications. So might think about doing something like that later in the year.

Yes, certainly planning to enjoy my trip back.

Cheers
Jeff