PDA

View Full Version : NSW RFL

jockey
14-05-2004, 09:24 AM
Please only vote if you fish in NSW, feel free to comment otherwise.

gunna
14-05-2004, 11:28 AM
I voted yes - but too much money is wasted on admin. The only reason I agree with it is that it seems the only way to buy out the trawlers. Problem is that process didn't go far enough. Some of our estuaries are still copping an absolute flogging.

Dino
14-05-2004, 12:06 PM
Who knows where our money goes! I can only hope by having a license that the revenue collected is directed to the appropriate place and that it does continue to be used to buyout the pro licenses, which consequently helps the nurseries restock themselves. I think that the authorities also need to look at the "exempt" categories and start realising that some of these groups go out and absolutely destroy some of our prime sports fishing ie Australian Salmon, all for 3/4 of jackshit return, usually to be sold as pet food. Most fair dinkum fishermen catch and release these fine sports fish to fight another day!
Yeah, someone needs to tidy up the whole deal.

basserman
14-05-2004, 01:56 PM
i agree it looks and should work well on paper but i also would like to see more money and fish going back to the fisherman
i would like to see some fish restocked as they do others and i would also like to see a bigger push to restock natives insteed for it always being about the bloody trout!

i can't see why captive breeding of fish like snapper and jewies can't happen and with that finglings beeing released to the sea!
i'm sure someone will tell me why it couldn't happen but i think breeding these fish for food and restocking couldn't happen ;D

Muddie
14-05-2004, 02:32 PM
i read somewhere that they are'nt buying any more pro's out,that was ment to be one of the big reasons for haveing one in the first place.if the government wasnt in charge i would be happy to pay $50 a year to know the money was going to the right place and not spending $90,000 on surveys or the same amount on 3 trucks that we dont need.so at the moment i say no to NSW RFL until someone like fisheries or the like take control

ba229
14-05-2004, 02:39 PM
in my area there was talk of stocking the lake with jewies.

it was decided that they would create a large pressure on the existing fish stocks and decided not to go ahead.

its no good to stock with one fish if that fish then eats every other fish it sees.

dasher
14-05-2004, 05:28 PM
OK I'm waiting for all the NSW fishos to tell us how they have been looked after by the gov to improve the're fishing. ??? ???

dasher
14-05-2004, 07:09 PM
[quote author=basserman link=board=General;num=1084425858;start=0#3 date=05/13/04 at 17:56:11]i agree it looks and should work well on paper but i also would like to see more money and fish going back to the fisherman
i would like to see some fish restocked as they do others and i would also like to see a bigger push to restock natives insteed for it always being about the bloody trout!

Mate, that is what our SIP is (Qld) and we (the fishos) control it. If we get a rfl it could disappear. At the moment it can be controlled but if it ends in gov hands who knows ??? ??? ???

banshee
14-05-2004, 07:16 PM
I spewed when I heard the proposal But I came around soon after,I now believe it to be good for rec fishing.Lets look at a few facts.
The money is held in trust by the Govt. it is spent by the expenditure committee,the committee is made up of anglers who were elected by those who showed enough interest to turn up to meetings.Committee members were screened by Govt for suitability before being allowed to sit on the committee.
Administration is set at 10%,though this may blow out if too many anglers take up the hard plastic card option rumoured to be comming in for three year licenses.
Initial buy outs cost in the vicinity of $20 million,a loan had to be taken to meet three quaters of this,2nd round buy outs are still two to three years away and will go ahead when this debt is reduced.
Some of the benifits For N.S.W. anglers are,25 costal rivers and all their tributaries and lakes are closed to all commercial fishing,a further 5 have rec only areas,FADS for six locations throughout the state.
I agree that more needs to be done,I personaly would like to see no commercial activity in rivers or inshore waters,but this is not a bad start.

dasher
14-05-2004, 07:38 PM
Banshee, check it out mate, I know of one estuary you have already been sold out on. A couple of thousand bucks worth of bass in exchange for netting valued at at about a half a mil. Yep thats fair for ??? ??? ??? :-X

banshee
14-05-2004, 07:45 PM
Which one ?

dasher
14-05-2004, 09:07 PM
I'll see if I can find it for ya, sure it was only in the last cuplu months. Will get back to ya mate. :)

dasher
15-05-2004, 07:10 AM
Banchee, Richmond river mate check here.
http://www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au/gen/news/fb_04mar24_mullet.htm

basserman
15-05-2004, 08:20 AM
that was a decision made by both reg anglers and pros
the pros where able to net in the river but upstream where the bass breed so it was agreed by both that the rec anglers could get that section of the river for excange of a smaller area near the mouth that is used for netting of mullet
it was voted on by the loacal in that area so really has nothing to do with the rec havens
i have seen a fair bit come about from our moneys but as i said it has along way to go yet
maybe all they need to do is publish a doco on the web to show the slit up of spent moneys and perhaps send out some surgestion or survays to find out what we all want in our areas
if this is all done right i can see a huge advantage for all waters
i know qld has the sip but new south wales only ever had the freash water licene and that was a waiste as no one ever botherd
stocking has improved 10fold since the RFL has come in and as i said if they could widern the spicies that they do this too even better ;D
i pay my $25 a year and so does my misses
three years ago we would of be lucky to catch a 40cm bream on lures and well now with the pros gone 40cm is pretty normal and we are now getting them over 45cm also we no longer have big clumps of weed floating down our rivers we can see the bottom in 20foot and overall everything is a healthy as i have seen it in a LONG time ;D

banshee
15-05-2004, 10:10 AM
Shaws Bay was always a work in progress right from the start of the rec haven,in the begining the rec anglers did not want it,but took it when the section of river from Missingham Bridge to the ocean was offered.The sector of commercial fisherman who net Mullet were at odds with their own reps and always maintained they had a right to net here.A public meeting was held,those with an interest attended and voted,this resulted in netting being allowed for two months when the mullet are schooling.It has to be understood the section of river known as Shaws Bay covers about two footy fields.No doubt spindoctors from out of the area had a field day over this decision,it generated very little concern from locals,a fishing trip in the warmer months here would yield a healthy bag of Humans,the place gets packed,in winter I have found the place fishless.I personaly did not like the decision,but I didn't bother to attend or vote so my opinion to the contrary is of little consequence.I find putting a dollar value on Bass hard to accept,Terania Creek forms the bottom boundary of a property that my family has occupied since 1889,I have seen the demise of this great little fish first hand,they do not bounce back without help,as opposed to mullet that have had the shit hamered out of them over the last century and still appear in healthy numbers,I thought it was a good trade off.