Razza
11-05-2004, 02:44 PM
We have a group of 9 blokes going on a 6 day trip offshore
How do the bag limits work in this case
Six days fishing what are our bag limits for in possesion
Razza

Lucky_Phill
11-05-2004, 05:57 PM
your charter skipper will know the answer to this.

That is, I presume you are going on a charter ?

If not, you are only allowed the current limit of 20 CRFF ( Coral Reef Fin Fish ) and 30 of the Tidal Species.

For a list of these fish refer to the web site:-

www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb

or call 132523

There is over 100 CRFF species and these fish have to have one Pectrol fin cut off, and some have different minimal bag limits on different species. Is it confusing, you bloody bet.

Further, if you are on a charter, you get to take more. Why ?

That's a very good question. Why shoud the charter customers get to take 50% more fish than a private trip lasting the same amount of time ?

I think it's time to email a Minister.

Phill ;)

Lucky_Phill
11-05-2004, 06:09 PM
I blew it.

For a rec fishoe on a charter, the number of fish allowed for up to 72 hours is as stated ( 20 CRFF and 30 Tidal ). now from day 4 to day 8, DOUBLE that amount is allowed ( CRFF only ), and after day 8 TRIPLE is allowed, again only CRFF.

so, up to 4th day 20, 4-8th day 40 and after that 60 only. and other rules apply as per filleting , skinning etc.

Phill

Thunderbird
12-05-2004, 04:25 AM
So how's the inspector know how long you've been on the water?

Does he have a radar like you phill? [smiley=ears.gif]
At what moment does the duration of the trip start?
When you leave home, put the boat in the water or cast the first line?

Razza
12-05-2004, 04:46 AM
Well there seems to be a lot of questions people arent to sure of the answer
If what Phil says is correct I am allowed to take 60 crff
Is that correct?
Is that per person orper group in the car on the way home ?

There will be 3 people in each vehicle on the way home so is that 180 crff per vehicle?
Razza

Lucky_Phill
13-05-2004, 01:43 PM
The answer is, each person may have in possession 40 CRFF for the trip your are going on. There is also the limit of 30 Tidal species, and within those species are bag limits for individual species.

For instance, for your specific trip you could have.:-

8 Red Throat emporer,
5 Red Emporer,
9 Nannigai,
8 Job fish ( combined species ),
5 Cod ( combined species ),
5 Coral Trout.

as they come under the CRFF.

then you can have:-

5 Snapper,
5 Pearl Perch,
10 Yellow Tail Kingies,
5 spottie mackerel,
3 Spanish Mackerel,
2 Trag Jew,

with as many Dolphin fish, and Grass Sweetlip as you like.

This is a " In possession " limit for the trip per person.

There are other regs regarding filleting, but your skipper can fill you in on that.

So really, you can still end up with a shit load of fish.

Haven't said if you going on a charter yet ?

or where abouts ?

Cheers Phill

Lucky_Phill
13-05-2004, 01:48 PM
Yes Thunderbird, your questions are valid to an extent.

The length of trip will be determined by the skipper of the charter. he will log in his dpearture times, return times etc, as well as log in all fish taken for the duration of the trip. This log is what any B & F's inspector will look at.

As I read it, the trip starts as soon as boat leaves harbour / berth. and ends upon return to harbour / berth.

Phill

NeilD
13-05-2004, 01:51 PM
Does anybody know the rules on fish for immediate consumption? When can we process it and what happens if we prep early well before dinner time. Can we prep for next day or what. We have a cruising boat and this will be a issue for us and many others.

cheers Neil

Thunderbird
13-05-2004, 03:02 PM
As far as i know Neil.
What you have in your possession counts as your catch weather it's in the deep freeze or fresh kicking on the deck.
As far as fish in the kitchen goes, Don't see how the inspectors can tell what species when prepared as a pice of meat.
I supose it comes down to common sence and
Not taking more than a person needs of one species nomatter how exciting it is hauling them over the side.
Thanks phill. So this rule for the average fisho applies from when the boat hits the water till it's put back on the trailer.
What about people who don't have a boat?
Surley a trip starts from when you leave home!! ???

Razza
13-05-2004, 03:07 PM
Hey Phill, thanks for the info, yes we are going on a charter out of 1770 to the Capricorn, Bunker group, we are leaving on the 28th may going for 6 whole days of bliss
We are still looking for number 10 if anyone interested
Razza

Lucky_Phill
14-05-2004, 01:02 PM
Going on the Coral Sea ?

NeilD, the fish bag limit is " IN POSSESSION ". That part is pretty straight forward. You have fish in your possession, it comes under the DPI Regs.

Simple, keep fish as per the regs, when you want to eat a fish, prepare it, keep frame and skin, cook it and eat it. After eating it, discard the frame and skin. Although, this is taking it to the extreme. The Boating & Fisheries Patrol Officers are real people with expectations of the average fisho to be ( somewhat ) clued up on the regs. If you seem / appear to be dopin gthe right thing, you'll have no probs. Don't look too hard into it.

Yes, Thunderbird is right, take only what you need for the days food/ dinner, that way you'll never have a prob.

Thundrebird. The regs go something along this line, but don't quote me. :P

The In Possession rule applies ( this is to the letter of the law ) thus. In possession means that ' in your possession ". you could have 2 snapper on your boat and 3 in the freezer at home, therefore you have your bag limit. You could argue that the 3 Snapper in your freezer at home belong to the missus, and that will be fine. Having said that, I doubt very much wether a B & F inspector will ask you about having any Snapper at home. Further, the B & F patrol officers have no power to search your house, car, freezer etc.

Basically, if you are on the water, at a boat ramp, have a esky in public view while land based fishing, an inspector can ' inspect". Othe than that, Magistrate certified search warrants and State Police are needed to search houses etc.

Probably looking tooooooo far into it, here Mark.

Further, the ' start of the trip " starts as I stated. The length of an extended fishing trip , ONLY applies to Charter Boats.

For further information, dial 1300 WTF does that rule mean ".

Cheers Phill

dasher
14-05-2004, 05:38 PM
Not to sure Phil, we got pulled up at a roadblock and the fisheries guy asked me what I had at home. He added they had the authority to check freezers if necessary???

Razza
15-05-2004, 02:11 PM
Hey Dasher I also heard the fisheries were going to catch a few of the yellow raincoat brigade by following them to home addresses and insisting on inspecting their freezers for prawns
I hope they follow through on their word , it might stop some of BASTARDS from raping the bay
Razza

BladeRunner
16-05-2004, 08:15 AM
Hi Razza Iam just up the road from 1770 at Tannumsands and I am still confused on how many CRFF you can keep so I was at the DPI or (fishery inspectors) and they gave me for free a cd on GBR, trip record card boating, safty reference guid & most important the brief guide to rules & regulations 2004 Tidal Waters.
It's got all the stuff we need to know.
But don't for get to cut the pectoral fin befor they go into the ice box.
Would you need to do it on a charter boat?
Have a good trip .Try this web www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/ It might have the info you are looking for .
Safe Boating
BladeRunner

Lucky_Phill
17-05-2004, 04:37 PM
Well I have been assured that, unless there is some very, very compelling factors or evidence, a QF&B patrol officer cannot and will not, ask to inspect a home freezer. I'm not saying this can't happen, but it's like the VHF radio operators licence. Has anyone ever heard of anyone being fined for NOT having a licence and using a VHF to log in etc ?

Having fish in a freezer at home. mmmmm lots of problems with inspecting them there,
1. fillets won't have skin on.
2. fillets won't be 40cms
3. is that pkt of fillet bait ?
4. who own's the freezer ?
5. how many people at home when inspectors arrive

I like this one.

fish in freezer, which is under finance ( so AGC own Freezer ), freezer at house that is rented ( landlord owns freezer ), electricity runs freezer ( Energex owns freezer ), Freezer is lent to you by your brother ( now he owns freezer ).

Or, ' that pkt of fish was not there when I went fishing this morning ".

Me thinks that inspecting a home freezer for fish is a bit of a Myth !

Phill

mackmauler
17-05-2004, 05:04 PM
;D luv it phill

Cheech
17-05-2004, 05:17 PM
Have followed a lot of the discussion over the last few months on the regs and how there are the in possession limits. Is becoming obvious that those that know the rules and have half a conscience are not the ones to worry about. But is great that we are the ones that are very concerned about getting it right.

Question regarding the home freezer,,,

How do you prove where you got them from?

Who is to say that I didn't go to the local fish market the day before and buy a heap of fish?

Are there signs at fishmongers saying not to buy too much otherwise I am breaking the law?

Sorry, not trying to be confrontational. But it does make you think about the completeness of the rules. If I buy too many of a particular fish and get inspected then I could be breaking the law??

Cheech

BladeRunner
18-05-2004, 01:36 PM
Fellows fish in freezer now worrys I am shore the QF&B won't bother to come around to your house. But on the water the QF&B rule.Any CRFF in the ice box needs to have the pectoral fin removed one side why ask your local patrol officer.I know around this area the rule applies and my mates have been warned .Any way if they did patrol the home freezer what do you keep in it? Went fishing today and caught a rather large china man fish at least 12 kg I know you can't eat them so it was returned to the water. Are they now protected ?
BladeRunner

jaybee
18-05-2004, 01:42 PM
Dasher
Not to sure Phil, we got pulled up at a roadblock and the fisheries guy asked me what I had at home Fisheries cannot go into your home and inspect your freezer. Qld police are now being trained for that. Like in NSW, fisheries can go to a business, Hotel, etc and ask for receipts for fish in fridge. Legally in QLD fisheries cannot enter a private property. at this time
cheers
Joe

Lucky_Phill
18-05-2004, 01:51 PM
Chinaman Fish are NOT protected, they are on a ' no take list'.

That is, there is such a high degree of probability that the fish has the Ciguatera toxin, it is now a No Take, along with other species.

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/11416.html#Notake

This site shows some detail, but not fully explained.

Well Cheech, if you bought lots of fish from the local Co-op etc, 2 things are assured.
1. you have gone back to your old ways of fishing ;D ;), and

2. you should have a receipt for that fish.

But a good point !

Home freezer inspections.........humbug !

Phill

Cheech
18-05-2004, 03:12 PM
;D ;D ;D No won't do that.

Would be the same story if I bought some of those undersize fish some of the guys have reported seeing for sale around town lately from markets and fish mongers.

Does that make you an accomplice?

Needmorerum
18-05-2004, 04:09 PM
Well I know one thing for sure, with the way my fishing trips have been of late I have no worries breaking and excess limit laws.

Corry

Lucky_Phill
19-05-2004, 03:17 PM
Yes, I think, that in the " overall ' scheme of things, the current bag limits are acceptable.

Phill