PDA

View Full Version : BOAT LICENCES UNDER REVIEW

jaybee
19-05-2004, 03:16 AM
Qld Govt Media Statements

Transport & Main Roads The Hon. Paul Lucas MP 17 May 2004
Police charges against a boat licence examiner have prompted a review of recreational boaties' licences issued statewide, Transport Minister Paul Lucas said today.

Mr Lucas said following police charges of official corruption against an authorised examiner, Maritime Safety Queensland had began a review of all examiner procedures.

"Maritime Safety Queensland officers are working closely with police, who arrested a man in February, 2004, as part of a separate investigation," Mr Lucas said.

"Maritime Safety Queensland has cancelled the man's authority to carry out examinations.

"As a result of the police investigation, Maritime Safety Queensland has identified more than 800 recreational boaties' licences that may have been illegally issued.

"These licences were issued between January, 2001, and February, 2004, in Townsville, and may have been issued without the applicant having completed the required tests to prove their competence.

"Maritime Safety Queensland is now writing to more than 800 people who have been identified as holding licences issued on the basis of suspect test reports.

"Maritime Safety Queensland is giving these people an opportunity to show they obtained their test report legitimately. If they can't, their licences will be cancelled.

"People who want to enjoy our waterways in boats must first pass tests on practice and theory to maintain the state government's high standards of safety, which help to prevent accidents and marine pollution."

Maritime Safety Queensland establishes guidelines for the State's recreational boat users. The requirements for recreational boat licensing in Queensland are the toughest in Australia, Mr Lucas said.

"Boating has to be safe to be enjoyable," Mr Lucas said.

"Maritime Safety Queensland has worked closely with police in this matter. Ensuring marine competency and safety are priorities I take very seriously."

There are more than 480,000 recreational ship master's licences issued in Queensland.

Under the Transport Operations (Marine Safety) Act, anyone found in charge of a vessel without having a recreational ship master's licence can be issued with a $375 on-the-spot fine.

Kerry
19-05-2004, 10:35 AM
Maritime Safety Queensland is giving these people an opportunity to show they obtained their test report legitimately. If they can't, their licences will be cancelled

That comment sort of has a typical trait about it ::)

One wants a boat licence, one goes to a "Maritime Safety Queensland" APPOINTED person who carries out this service on behalf the the "Maritime Safety Queensland" and when that APPOINTED and CERTIFIED person stuffs up it's then the people being requested to show cause :o ah come on, who instigated all this in the first place ??? Who really hasn't been doing their job in the first place >:(

Same thing occuring in the marine survey area, Gov wants to reduce numbers, cleans out all the departments marine surveyors, certifies private surveyors on behalf of the Gov but then doesn't give them any teeth, so who ends up wearing the can, certainly ain't the Gov yet the Gov turns around and wonders why marine surveyors are handing in their certifications left right and centre.

Cheers, Kerry.

MAHI_MAHI
19-05-2004, 05:04 PM
800 X $35 ...???or relevant amount , equates to deception on a grand scale ...most boaties wanting licences are happy to go thru the process , as was I , in 2003, after my licence was not transferred to computer records...it cost me , because of the dept's inefficiencies...being licenced(legitimately) is not a guarantee of safe boating practices , but , it is a start!

Gazza
19-05-2004, 07:37 PM
I'll stick by(& keep) my 'virtual' Licence ,but it does amaze me a little, of the size boat ,that I'm allowed to drive :o

........of course ,I'd have to steal it first!! :o

;D :D :D :D