PDA

View Full Version : barramundi bag limits and size restrictions

captainpugwash
20-05-2004, 04:46 PM
i think they should reduce the bag limit on barramundi say from 5 to say 2. also i think the size of fish allowed to be taken should be say 600mm to 800mm.i think all females around 801mm and bigger should be put back into the water for the good of the sport.my idea is based on nothing other than what i read and hear,what do you all think about this idea,perhaps then old sea dogs like myself in years to come god willing may be able to catch more barra over a week end.what impact may these new limits have on barra fishing.

Graham_N_Roberts
20-05-2004, 04:53 PM
Sounds like a reasonable idea to me Captain. ;) Any thing reasonable is worth a try, if an improvement in the fishery is a possible outcome.

Daintreeboy
20-05-2004, 05:19 PM
I think it's a great idea. My version is the same bar the fact I reckon 1 metre is the maximum.
Cheers, Mark.

caveman
20-05-2004, 05:24 PM
over in the ORD river in WA these are the limits that apply there as it is classed as the hatchery/breeding area for barra

Bad_Bubby
20-05-2004, 07:19 PM
Theres probably only a handful of species which have low enough bag limits in my opinion barra are not one (who keeps 5 barra?, thats slaughter!). I agree with Daintreeboy, if they are over a meter they should go back (saltwater barra not impoundment barra). Last year I caught a 90cm saltie that hadn't changed over to female so it doesn't always happen once they exceed 80cm. Also you might find that in some areas most of the barra will range between 80-90cm. Would you be expected to release everything you catch?.

big-barra
20-05-2004, 07:47 PM
Bub,
If your barra hadn't changed that means that there is a lack of barra is the river the more barra the moe willing thay are to chang.
It got some thing to do with the hormons in the water.

barra 8)

stacer_seagull
21-05-2004, 05:20 AM
hey guys, in the territory we have reasonable barra limits. On the Mary river system,which includes river systems and also 4 or 5 billabongs and covers alot of the more populated fishing areas,the limit is 2 fish per person,the minimun legal size is 55cm with no limit on the maximun, but it is a unspoken rule that anything over a metre goes straight back,which most people adhere to, i have spent more then 45 minutes reviving a fish over a metre and it felt good to see it swim away. the mary river system is a known spawning area as well. On the more remote rivers the limit is five. On these river systems the commercial fisherman take thousands. Up here the government have spent alot of money buying back these lisences,and within a year or 2 the increase in fish in the these rivers is amazing. So far,the governtment have bort back a number of lisences, for example,the day river, the mary river system,and onnly 10 minutes from darwin,the shoal bay area,all of these are known spawning areas ,at the moment they are in talks with the commercial fisherman who hold the lisence for the adelaide river,which is only 1 hour from darwin,where the fishing for a major river can be very slow compared to others.
Cheers

Daintreeboy
21-05-2004, 09:33 AM
I've always thought the bag limits in NT and the overall setup to protect the fishing industry is excellent, Queensland should take a leaf or two out of their book.
Are you sure there is no maximum on Barra in the Mary river system?

Daintreeboy
21-05-2004, 09:35 AM
I've always thought the bag limits in NT and the overall setup to protect the fishing industry is excellent, Queensland should take a leaf or two out of their book.
Are you sure there is no maximum on Barra in the Mary river system?

Moffy
21-05-2004, 09:48 AM
Daintree Boy - Yeah me too - er.. Twice ;D

imagine the cape if the rivers there had the protection afforded the rivers in the Territory

stacer_seagull
21-05-2004, 10:28 AM
yeah daintree, there is no limit at all up here on the maximun. most people will catch and release anything over a metre, "IF" it can be revived,which isnt always the case unfortunatley. With the large wet we ahve had this year,the barra fishing has been going off, the number of fish in the river systems is a real good sign, not only because there are so many large fish being caught,but because of the amount of rats that are around........

Daintreeboy
21-05-2004, 12:04 PM
Ya don't need to tell me how good the fishing is, nobody on the east coast wants to hear about that :'( :'( ;)

baldyhead
21-05-2004, 12:54 PM
Hey U guys, Whooa there! spare a thought for the poor bloody worker who only has 1 holiday a year and drives up to Lakefield or Karumba or Weipa Or PCBay or Edward River or Kowanyama to name just a few places and is SEVERELY LIMITED to 2 Barra to take home. Lets get real !
How about we (recreational fishers) pay a Licence Fee to fish in QLD and the dollars paid go to buy back ALL COMMERCIAL LICENCES, ie, net,crab,line etc. This money to be managed by an independant board made up of fishers and others (not SUNFISH who are funded by QLD Govt) and then the remaining dollars(after ALL the Licences have been bought back) to be spent on the restocking of our rivers and water ways, the provision of decent ramps etc, the education of the public and school kids in proper fish handling/ preservation etc, and a small % to be donated to the policing of the regulations etc,(this is a Govt responsibility and should be funded x the Govt.)
Some of this money could also be used for a perpetual fishing W/E in every town in QLD possibly held twice a year,staffed by volunteers to teach the kids (our future & future politicians) to fish. This is only the tip of the iceberg and can be expanded on immensly.
The visiting tourists can also pay the licence fee and it could be collected the same as the fresh water fishing impoundment licence fee. Can you imagine the endless possibilities that this could fund? A portion could be given to Local participating Councils to provide camping reserves at a nominal fee for ALL of US to visit and fish and would contribute to their communitys economy. As I said endless possibilities compounding.AND audited by an independant firm of Auditors.
This scheme MUST NOT be controlled by the QLD GOVT.
Anyway thats my opinion. Baldy