PDA

View Full Version : Well I'll be buggered!

bidkev
21-05-2004, 09:52 AM
Me mate rang last night. His truck expired so he got a day off and a chance to go to Mermaid. He fished a bit away from the main reef, where we caught the tailor on Sunday. He had a good day with reefies and a few tailor but no mackerel. When he upped his pick he had caught another one.......a sand anchor with numerous different bits of rope knotted together! Obviously belonging to someone who wasn't conversant with the depth. Now wouldn't you think that with all that ocean, the chance of picking up another anchor is pretty slim? Wonder how many are down there? :-)

kev

jockey
21-05-2004, 12:28 PM
You'd be surprised. Anchors get firmly stuck all the time, or lost for other silly reasons. If you want to get home you either have to cut the rope or go for a swim.

goodoo
21-05-2004, 05:31 PM
fished arround old woman island last sat looking for livies picked up a bloodybig sand anchor in 15 meters looked almost brand new :GOODOO

bidkev
22-05-2004, 04:50 AM
You'd be surprised. Anchors get firmly stuck all the time, or lost for other silly reasons. If you want to get home you either have to cut the rope or go for a swim.

I'll keep me knofe handy then. You won't find me swimming, knowing what I've caught out there! ;-)

kev

Commodore
22-05-2004, 07:24 AM
Kev,
My dad was fishing down Iluka way a while back and his pick got stuck. :( After about an hour of forward and back and much back stress the anchor came free and with it came 5 other assorted anchors, ropes, chain, all in good nick to. ;D Best catch of the day.
Matt

kingmad
22-05-2004, 07:51 AM
Yeah I got one in Botany Bay brand new with about 80 m of rope. Now Idont know how anyone could loose onein the bay with that much rope. It is my favourite anchor now. I even have a name for it "lucky".

Dr_Dan
22-05-2004, 07:59 AM
Mate of mine was out with his family. Told his wife to through the anchor over, so she did. Unfortunately, no one had attached the rope to the chain.

OOPS!!!! :-X

Maria
22-05-2004, 08:20 AM
There's one down in Ross Ck at Cleveland for any of you boaties in need of a newbie. Think it's in pretty good knick. ;D

Dunno why any tool would anchor there, but anyway.

Ben

northsboy
22-05-2004, 08:43 AM
Matt 5 anchors with that one anchor!!That would be F***EN heavy and put alot more stress on the back lol! Ive lost a anchor out the reef,almost killed myself in the process of trying to get it off,had the rope tied to the bollard up on the bow and was steaming ahead wen it snapped off and flew past my head at a hundred miles an hour lol... Not doing that again :-/ :-/LOL
Cheers
Liam

Commodore
22-05-2004, 11:53 AM
Just thought of another one, few years back I was outside with My Old Man and his Mate, going to anchor up, no worries, current pushing boat back. .O.K. rope secured on end….NO…. ??? ???Mate jumps over and swims down trying to catch end of rope… :o :o
We think he is crazy, loses rope, wallet, credit cards,$$, keys, sunglasses…its only an anchor :-X…Mate retrieved to stern all ok…start to fish and who shows up not 5 minutes later….Mr toothy… :o its only an anchor
Matt

easyrider525
22-05-2004, 12:49 PM
yeah been there done that. :o lost one anchor in botany bay, but found another off wanda beach, that same arvo. wot goes round comes round??????

MTpockets
24-05-2004, 04:21 AM
On a slightly different topic....
My mate was trolling off the back of his mates boat on the way back to Jacobs Well ramp and when they stopped to give way to a sailing boat his lure dropped to the bottom and when they started off again, my mate thought he was snagged and eventually he pulled his lure in and attached to it was a brand new rod with a new Alvey reel on it.
He says it looked like it hadn't been in the water very long at all.
Not a bad catch considering they hadn't landed any fish all trip. ;D

MY-TopEnder
24-05-2004, 04:02 PM
Similar topic... out at the broadwater not long ago we were headed back to the ramp. Anyway fired up the outboard, took off for the ramp and i look out the back and and theres a crab pot bouncing around in my wake... anyway it hadn't wrapped round the prop so i shut it down to untangle the mess and it was just rope... no sign of a float at all just picked up the rope.

nictim
25-05-2004, 09:51 AM
That's why you don't anchor up to close to the next boat when the mackerel are running get a big run with line running up against your rope and it will cut you off.
Your left drifting away while everyone else are catching fish