PDA

View Full Version : MP confident of HMAS 'Brisbane' sinking

jaybee
21-05-2004, 06:13 PM
Member for Fisher Peter Slipper says he is confident hurdles preventing the former Navy ship HMAS Brisbane from being sunk off the Sunshine Coast will soon be overcome.

The Federal Government is waiting for the Queensland Government to sign a deed of gift for the ship before it is sunk for use as a dive site.

Mr Slipper says the State Government is concerned there may be a loophole in the gift arrangement which would mean the Federal Government would not have to pay for the sinking.

He says that is not true and he is confident the ship can soon be used as a dive site off the coast.

"I've spoken to the Premier's office today and there appears to be a sense of cooperation there and let's hope that once we get the advice from the Queensland Government we're able to break this log jam with the ship sunk as quickly as possible," he said.

Last Update: Thursday, May 20, 2004. 12:12pm (AEST)

Dug
22-05-2004, 01:33 PM
I often see discarded concrete pipes and road culverts of all sizes etc. I wonder why these cannot be dropped off the coast somewhere to make some artificial reefs?

I will believe the Brisbane is here when I see the bubbles coming up, Peter Slipper said it was a done deal before the last election.

NeilD
23-05-2004, 03:58 AM
The Courier Mail has an article this morning pointing out the lack of support from our State gov. A group from NSW Central Coast is making a concerted move on our ship at the moment. If we do not act now we may loose it.
One of my concerns is that the site will be dive only with more restrictions being placed on fishermen.

Cheers Neil

Spaniard_King
24-05-2004, 05:08 PM
Hi Guyz,

As an ex member of HMAS BRISBANE, I am hoping she gets to lay at rest off the sunny coast. Sure would like to take my 2 boys divin on her.

Neil, are you sure that the challenge from down south is still on as I thought QLD had won that battle ???

NeilD
25-05-2004, 03:36 PM
The story is that the QLD Gov will not pay the costs involved in bringing it up and sinking it. The Mexicans are prepared to pay all costs and are lobbying hard to get it.

cheers Neil