PDA

View Full Version : Olympics

el_carpo
21-05-2004, 10:37 AM
I was just listening to a local news program on the radio here and they said the olympic committee was thinking about putting the olympics back in Sydney again. I know that would be just about impossible at this short of notice but have you guys heard this at all? The reasons being the security risks and the unpreparedness of Greece to host the games (I heard they still haven't finished building a lot of the facilities). I really doubt that this will happen, but I wouldn't mind if it did. You guys put on by far the greatest summer olympics I've ever seen. Also, I'll be brutally honest here, I am very afraid that something very bad is going to happen. It's too darn close to the hot zone. I don't think I'd go if you paid me. I hate being so negative and I really hope everything goes perfectly and there are no "incidents" but I just have a really queazy feeling about the whole thing. :-/

Would you guys be ready for a sequel? ;D "Olympics II, Return to Sydney" sounds like a movie! ;D

CHRIS_aka_GWH
21-05-2004, 10:42 AM
:-X :-X :-X

ba229
21-05-2004, 12:59 PM
Theres been that rumour about for several years now. in my opinion it would be impossible to hold in Sydney again this year anyway. just too much organising required.

Got to say one thing about Greece's organising so far though "sh!thouse"

NQCairns
21-05-2004, 02:22 PM
Sequel [smiley=hammer.gif]Crikey I dont ever want to go through that again, it was hard enough trying to ignore the Sydney one, everywhere it was olympics this olympics that, a feeding frenzy, at least with it being in Athens I have only been subject to around 2 minutes a day on the news about it, I can handle that ;D.nq

bungie
21-05-2004, 04:43 PM
Even at the end of the Sydney Olympics as the flag was handed over to the Greek committee, there was talk of Sydney doing this coming event

SteveCan
21-05-2004, 04:43 PM
This was actually a 'Plan B' if it looked like Athens wasn't going to be able to make it. But the call would have been made three years or more ago. Apparently the Greeks didn't do a darned thing about the Games for three years after they got the nod. (politics)

So - yes it was on the cards for Sydney to help out in an emergency - but that was several years ago. As always this story is a beat up by the media....

Cheers
Steve.

clutter
21-05-2004, 05:06 PM
Impossible to do in the short to medium term as most of the infrastructure is no longer in place and much of what was there has been removed.

clutter

Dug
21-05-2004, 05:21 PM
The rugby scandals, the drug scandals, the cheating scandals, the olympic building scandals, as soon as they ban the whole mad media sporting thing and start to sponsor real sport for real people not insane TV powered competitions the better. [smiley=wut.gif]

drevil
22-05-2004, 03:19 AM
Hey NQ, did they tell you guys up there that the Olympics were on?

PinHead
24-05-2004, 03:25 AM
I can remember before the Sydney Olympics that the media were saying that Sydney was not ready...some venues would not be finished..transport system would not cope etc etc. I think they just roll out the same stories every four years and just change the names to suit.

As for the terror side...you change things because you are afraid of a terrorist attack and the terrorists have won..that is what they do..promote terror in people. Just keep tight security but do not change...ain't gunna give those bums any idea they might have won anything.

lordy
24-05-2004, 03:11 PM
I think the difference is there were small hitches in Sydney compared to major hitches in Athens. Most of the stadiums were built and functioning well before the games. By this, look at the main stadium, it was up and running and hosting footy games before it was built (March 6, 1999, what is that 18 months early?). Same with the aquatic venue. The Athens mob is still putting on its roof. Are they going to have training runs or just open the thing on the day and hope its ok?

caveman
24-05-2004, 03:30 PM
i agree with dug ban all the bloody sport and put more fishing shows on TV ;D ;D ;D ;D

el_carpo
25-05-2004, 12:52 AM
How about the "Fishing Olympics"? ;D

Events:

1. Synchronized fly casting
2. The tuna toss
3. Fishing marathon (fish as long as you can until you pass out.)
4. Speed netting
5. Untangling tangled knots in your reel (dreaded bird's nest)
6. Fifty yard boat launch dash
7. Power hook setting
8. Beer chugging (on land--don't get drunk on the water!)
9. Shark wrestling
10. Freestyle hook from thumb removal

Those are just a few ideas. You guys can probably come up with a few too. ;D Also what would be featured in the opening and closing ceremonies?

peewee
25-05-2004, 06:38 AM
The rugby scandals, the drug scandals, the cheating scandals, the olympic building scandals, as soon as they ban the whole mad media sporting thing and start to sponsor real sport for real people not insane TV powered competitions the better. [smiley=wut.gif]
Yep ! And to boot, me thinks that as soon as the media is make to be accountable for the sh*t and rumours,and trouble they MAKE [smiley=angryfire.gif] the better off we all will be.

NQCairns
25-05-2004, 07:28 AM
Drevil I was living in Port Stephens at the time, even fishing Stockton beach one nite I was assulted by some olympics hullabaloo 12km away across the water at Port Newcastle. It was everywhere!!! :'(

bugman
25-05-2004, 08:07 AM
Geez fellas,

Well this mannered an humble media type spent 6 weeks covering the Olympics in Sydney in 2000.

I'd have to say I've never worked so hard and partied so hard in my sporting career.

Absolutely amazing logistical feat, with Sydney putting on a great display for our country.

If you're after a good read and have a bit of time:

http://www.abc.net.au/olympics/2000/features/bugglog/bugglog.htm

The site won "best online" at the Qld Media Awards in 2000/2001.

I was actually working for ABC radio and doing the weblog in my spare/free time. A couple of days I went "missing" and my colleagues back in Brissy helped me out.

I'm guessing there'll be a lot of broken links now as that gateway has been retired.

Bugman

jockey
25-05-2004, 09:23 AM
The media will keep coming up with crap for as long as people will keep listening to it.

el_carpo
25-05-2004, 09:56 AM
Bugman, congratulations on the award for your site. Sounds like you had fun.

I get agrivated with the "hype" created by some folks in the media as well guys. Sometimes it's like a two week long athletic shoe and sport's drink commercial. Still, like I said earlier, you Aussies know how to hold an olympics. It was the best one I've ever seen. Compare it to what the other countries did. Remember the bungie-jumpers clad in ballet tights and flowery head gear? ;D (Barcelona, was it? I don't even remember. ::)) Like a giant San Franciscan nightmare! No offense to those of you who live that particular lifestyle and are of that particular orientation. If you aren't familiar with what San Francisco is known for, you won't get that line. ;)

What I really remember about the Sydney games was seeing Slim Dusty for the first time. I liked the way he sounded and looked up his music on the net. I have been a huge fan of his music ever since. He is one of my favorite musicians. Very sad to hear of his passing :'( :'( :'( My dad likes him too (which is saying something because my dad hates just about everything ;D). He says, "Now that's what country music is supposed to sound like!" whenever I play a Slim Dusty CD. Was he very popular there? I imagine he was if they had him perform at the olympics. He reminds me a little of Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash. His music always cheers me up and gives me a lift when I'm stuck not fishing. You guys like him? Just wondering?

E.C. 8)

el_carpo
25-05-2004, 10:01 AM
By the way, are there any other Australian musicians you guys like that I might be interested in listening to? It's like a wasteland of mediocrity here. Everyone tries to sound like everyone else and alas, they do! :P

jockey
25-05-2004, 10:06 AM
I like Nick Cave. Slim is popular here. My dad likes him, or is that Willie Nelson?

Sydney has the same rep as San Fran, but San Fran would have more of the real thing.

PinHead
25-05-2004, 12:08 PM
Ooops..did I make a derogatory remark about the media..sorry Brett.

el_carpo
26-05-2004, 04:58 AM
Thanks Jockey. I'll do a search and listen to him. It will be good to hear some new tunes! :)

MTpockets
26-05-2004, 05:44 AM
Hi El_Carpo,
You asked if Slim was popular here.....
Let me put it this way without sarcasim.....
If the choice was who would you rather have dinner with
1) Slim Dusty
2) Any other country singer in the world.

The answer would be 90% Slim.
Seriously, he IS the King of country here in Oz.

I grew up listening to him, due to my Dad's taste in music. I am a heavy metal fan, but when it comes to Slim Dusty I rate him as my 2nd favourite artist to listen to. Suprised?
I also like Merl Haggert. His style is also very good as well as Dwight Erkle (cant remember how its spelled.)
The common theme amoungst these 3 performers for me is they sing from the heart, and usually about the things they love. Thats all that matters for me.
"When the rain tumbles down in July" from Slim is my all time favourite song.
Cheers
Les

el_carpo
26-05-2004, 09:24 AM
MT Pockets,

Thanks for the post! I agree completely with you. His music is just awesome! I can't listen to them without feeling better. "When the rain..." is one of those songs I get stuck in my head all the time ;D. I'll be humming or whistling it sometimes without thinking about it. My family always kids me about this--

Them: "Tommmm, you're doing it again." ;D

Me: "What am I doing?"

Them: "You're whistling those Slim Dusty songs!"

Me: "So it appears! If you don't like it, too bad! Mwa ha ha ha ha! ;D"

Yes, he may be gone, but his music will always be in my collection. No doubt about it! We have great taste in music!!!

P.S. Sorry for the late response. I just kept getting new hassles to deal with all day long. Every time I logged on to AusFish, I got called away to handle some new work or family "emergency."