PDA

View Full Version : Pectoral Fin Removal

Needmorerum
26-05-2004, 05:15 PM
Reading the DPI Regulations, what is the idea behind removing the pectoral fin before a fish is put into cold storage?
All I can think of is that it is to be kept at ambient temperature cause most fish change colour when dead and cold. Is this right?

cHiCo
26-05-2004, 05:18 PM
Its to stop illegal selling of fish.

Gazza
26-05-2004, 05:59 PM
before arriving back at boat-ramp ,I thought ??? Not necessarily onboard ??? ,in a legal sense ???

Needmorerum
26-05-2004, 06:14 PM
So what your saying Chico, is that it is illegal to buy fish that are missing the pectoral fin??

And, Gazza, here is a copy of what is written, it doesn't say anything about locations, I figure it would be at all. Not sure where I stand as far as putting fish into an ice slurry in an esky. Would this be part of the 'cold storage' theme.

-------
In relation to coral reef fin fish a recreational fisher:

must not possess on board any boat fish taken from a boat other than in one of the following forms - whole, gilled or gutted or filleted;

may possess on board a boat a fillet of a fish other than a Chinese footballer (blue spot) trout as long as the length of the fillet is at least 40cm, and skin and scales are attached to the fillet;

must not return fish taken ashore from a boat and filleted and returned to a boat unless the length of the fillet is at least 40cm, and skin and scales are attached to the fillet;

must not put whole or gilled and gutted fish into cool storage without first removing a pectoral fin (see illustration in “Fish measurement”); or

must not bring live fin fish ashore.

-------

Cheers
Corry

SeaHunt
26-05-2004, 06:54 PM
Yes it is to stop the rec fishos from selling fish. You cut one off and chuck it overboard. Any legit fish in a fish shop or restaurant will still have both fins.

Gazza
26-05-2004, 06:59 PM
thanks Corry ,was getting the 'ashore' bit mixed up...
Did ask the question once ,about therefore expecting ALL whole fish for sale to have both pecs attached ,not one,not zero ;)

gif
27-05-2004, 02:50 AM
Cutting off Pectoral Fins?

Isn't that what you do with Jet Skiers? Or am I getting my posts mixed up? I think I need more sleep ...

agnes_jack
27-05-2004, 09:02 AM
Seahunt
Thats the theory, but what stops the fishshop from skinning and filleting the fish ?

Regards, Tony :-/

SeaHunt
27-05-2004, 09:50 AM
Hi Tony,
Maybe I should have said ,"Yes it is supposed to stop the rec fishos from selling fish. "
Anyway the answer is ....nothing.
But I suppose they would have em in their cold rooms for a while before they got around to the filleting , so I guess there is always a chance they could get caught.