PDA

View Full Version : News Release - Female mud crabs seized

QLD_Fisheries
26-05-2004, 11:41 AM
http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/news/NewsReleases/15363.html

The information contained in this document is distributed by the Queensland Government for information purposes only. All reasonable steps have been made to ensure the information is accurate at the time of publication. For more information visit the DPI Fishweb site at http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb

SeaHunt
26-05-2004, 01:30 PM
Good on them, now I would like to see the results from the court case posted here along with the names and address of the two men involved.

jockey
26-05-2004, 01:36 PM
"if using a float" - don't you have to use one?

Martin_C
26-05-2004, 02:26 PM
Hi Folks

Interesting reading the news article on the illegal crabbing and after just watching the channel 7 news it appears the so called skipper was from Deception Bay, now facing prosecution he requests a interpreter. There crabbing exploits took place around Bullock Creek and more than likely Ningi and Elimbah Creeks too, maybe next season there will be more crabs in our crabs pots, rather than seeing empty pots or even worse the pots are stolen aswell.

It would be good to see DPI etc out on the water checking, also would be interesting to see if the black market thief who needs an interpreter has a boat licence - maybe thats another charge....

Martin

imported_admin
26-05-2004, 03:13 PM
"if using a float" - don't you have to use one?

No, not if it is tied to something secure like a tree, fence post or your boat.

imported_admin
26-05-2004, 03:16 PM
The press release only mentions female mudcrabs and makes no mention of the male crabs and/or the excess number of. The footage on TV clearly showed several male crabs. Maybe they didn't have an excess number of male crabs ? Would be hard to believe though.

MarcusD
26-05-2004, 05:33 PM
The news report I saw also showed them measuring a crab which looked undersized to me.... I could be mistaken though.

Gazza
26-05-2004, 05:52 PM
There's only one place that (was) going........
SOUTH ,so that's where the buyers(legal) are.

update note to CRABmac , 2~3 Jennies allowed....ONLY.....
r-e-c-r-e-a-t-i-o-n-a-l-l-l-l-l-y
17cms plus , suits me.

SeaHunt
26-05-2004, 07:14 PM
Needs an interpreter , yeah sure , the ol "me no spik englis". >:(
News said 141 female crabs , a shitload of crabpots, I am glad they were hidden under the deck of his tinny, so he must have known he was breaking the law and cannot use ignorance as an excuse. [smiley=dunce.gif]

Is it just me or does it seem a disproportinate number of these people getting caught for this type of offence are, lets say new Australians?
Why is this ? Do they bring their fishing habits with them from O/S, #is it greed, blatant disregard for the law or what , any ideas? ???

thargor
26-05-2004, 09:24 PM
It looks like a couple of offenses here.

1. Well over the bag limit
2. Females
3. Undersized males

Its good to see the Inspectors are getting some of those at the top of the poaching chain :)

straddie
26-05-2004, 09:52 PM
"There's only one place that (was) going........ SOUTH ,so that's where the buyers(legal) are."

You might be surprised Gazza :-X

Russman67
28-05-2004, 09:15 AM
Could someone pls get the DPI into action up Hervey Bay area as well ?
I have lost 2 top dollar pots up there this year and sitting on our fishing shack verandah at River heads with the binoculars I have watched certain individuals raid my pots. When you front them at the ramp they go to great pains to tell you that they are the local licenced operator and that he had pots out there too, which is bullshit!

deb
28-05-2004, 12:09 PM
this is one they caught. How many hundreds of crabs have gone?