PDA

View Full Version : Is this legal?

flotsum
28-05-2004, 06:26 AM
Took the wife out to dinner the other night. [She is just out of hospital] The menue said "Red Emperor" I asked "is it really?" waitres said "no but it is reef fish" I asked "what sort' She said "Nile Perch" ????????????????? :o

Zeeke
28-05-2004, 06:30 AM
that would be called False Advertising???

cHiCo
28-05-2004, 07:19 AM
ahqahahhahahahh thats classic

Maria
28-05-2004, 08:07 AM
Flotsum, it is highly illegal for a very good reason.

Take this for a scenario. Both my Mum and myself have extremely sensitive alergies to some forms of seafood. In some cases, ingesting certain types of seafood is simply lethal within an hour or two.

If we go into a restaurant, and see something advertised on the menu that we can safely eat, we may consider buying it. If we do, we may find ourselves experiences pretty nasty symptoms of a reaction within a few minutes, because the wankers in the shop have no idea/simply don't care...whatever.

Should then someone have long term side effects from that, or die as a result, can you imagine the legal shit storm the restaurant would be liable for?

Ben

SeaHunt
28-05-2004, 08:34 AM
Yeah what reef?? :P
That's a classic, Nile perch is imported frozen, and costs about $10 a kilo from Woolies.
I would have walked out. How would you be able to trust anything else on the menu.?
Grain fed rump 400 gms. Is it really ?.. No, but it probably weighs something, and it could have even come off a cow somewhere. :-/

Is surprises me they were honest enough to tell you. Where was this anyway?

Maria
28-05-2004, 09:22 AM
"Is this REALLY eye fillet??????"...."Ummm nah mate, don't know what animal it came off....maybe a goat....but it's meat".

What's the name of the place?

easyrider525
28-05-2004, 09:55 AM
ah yes, reminds me of my brother in law. Knows nothing about fishing or fish for that matter. went to local fish shop in liverpool asked some newbie behind the counter for a large snapper paid his million dollars for said snapper and took it home. for some reason said snapper couldn't be cooked that night so it was placed in freezer. about a week later me and the wife gets invite for dinner, yes he says we are having fresh snapper. oh goodie thinks i. takes six pack and good chardy and waits for dinner to be cooked. now i know for sure that i was not past that point after a sixer and a chardy but when said snapper arrived all dressed up to be eaten guess who arrived at the table/????????
none other than big mr nanny gai!!!!! bigest black eyes ive ever seen. so you cant trust anyone!!!!!!!

SeaHunt
28-05-2004, 10:53 AM
At least it wasn't a Mullet. :D

Kerry
28-05-2004, 03:56 PM
Now there's a waitress probably loking for a new job but the good old nile perch #:o yes and has probably been subsituted for just about everything on the menu.

The same good ol' nile perch one sees as "Fresh Nile Perch, thawed for your convienience", fresh my ar..

Actually nile perch generally comes in one size and all fillets in a box are almost exactly the same size, very particular they are in presenting nile perch, just like as if they all come out of the one fish tank #::) #The number of people who have been ripped off by nile perch substitution would be staggering. The restaurants/outlets should be listed on a wall of shame but one would need quite a few walls :-X

Cheers, Kerry.

Mr__Bean
28-05-2004, 11:32 PM
What or where was the restuarant?

We have similar issues down in the southern states.

Everone has Fresh Barramundi on the menu, yeah sure thing matey, how did you get it down here fresh????

Most times it is substitute.

- Bean

flotsum
29-05-2004, 06:40 AM
thanks for all the comments on this. My wife says I am too fussy, but if I wat fish I want decent fish. Not just restaurants but all outlets should have to give a product its' propper name. Why can't we have standard names for fish all over this country. You get several diferent names for the same fish here. But when you buy it it shoul not be "imported freshwater fillets" simply " Indonesian catfish" just what it is.

Joel_F
29-05-2004, 10:00 AM
Got caught myself. # Fish shop says " Pacific Dory." #So I think Pacific ( saltwater ) ##Dory ( john dory is good eating ) # Didn't like the taste much so I looked it up on the internet. # #Its a farmed freshwater fish from Indonesia ! # The closest it comes to the Pacific is when they ship it over frozen !