PDA

View Full Version : Where are you from?

sir_noelus
10-05-2004, 04:18 AM
Havn't been involved with the site for long, but feel that there is a big group of very friendly guys (and girls I guess) out there, but from here we seem to have little in common. Am I right in assuming the largest part of the membership is based from Brissy and northward? Are there many members way down here in southland? While we are familiar with most of the fish of which you speak, and have caught many of most of them, there seems to be very little talk on site of the fishing down this way. There is certainly nothing wrong with the quality of our fishing. We are based near Canberra, fish the mountain lakes and estuaries of the south coast of NSW and able to spend time also on a 32 footer out off Narooma for big stuff. Just wondering where you all come from. Noel

jeffo
10-05-2004, 04:32 AM
g' day noel. you are pretty right in your assumptions that most of us are from QLD... but there are a few regulars from south of here.. basserman and setthehook come to mind.
im from the sunshine coast... and while we dont have a huge number of members here alot of the other lads spend a bit of time up here on weekends and what not.
it sounds like youve got all bases covered when it comes to fishing ;D
cheers and weclome.
jeff
ps. one way to get a few more members from your area is good old word of mouth and purchase some www.ausfish.com stickers for your boat. :D

Maria
10-05-2004, 05:46 AM
Hey mate,

I hail from Bris-vegas eh....not too far from that crazy lad Jeffo. See, the Gold Coast is only about 40 minutes drive south from Brisbane, and the Sunshine Coast (where that critter lives) is only like an hour or so north. So, when it comes to fishing, we all tend to move around these locations quite freely due to their locality.

As you said, yes, there area lot of people from south east Queensland, but I mean hey, can you blame em? Living in the best part of the world? Hahaha....but as Jeffo said, there are a handful of regulars that are southerners, and I would say to guess that considering that the site is nearing 5000 members, and I've probably never even seen 4000 of them online, there's a few more in amongst the site population.

Also, if you're after some southern fishos, www.fishnet.com has ALOT of southerners. I think it's a predominently southern based fishing site, not all that different from this one. Or, as Jeff said....get some stickers on your car, boat, letterbox, cat, dog, shopping trolley...whatever.

Ben

blaze
10-05-2004, 06:57 AM
Tassie

subzero
10-05-2004, 07:07 AM
Here goe's.... Leave myself open for a few shots...
Originally, Palmerston North, NZ. (yes another bloody Kiwi)
Now Daisy Hill, Brissy, Qld (8yrs).

bay_firey
10-05-2004, 07:34 AM
Hervey Bay.

It is just a wonderful place to live and fish, with all options redily at hand.
River, estuary, inshore shallow reefs, off shore deep reefs, great beach fishing, fresh water

el_carpo
10-05-2004, 08:56 AM
Chicago , Illinois, USA, Southwest side, look for the big pine trees and the old junker van out front (with me screaming threats at it usually). ;). Even if I yell really loud, you probably couldn't hear me. ;D I'm not much use here as far as local fishing tips go I'm afraid. ;D I excel at lousy jokes and general fishing information though. ;D

philip_thomson
10-05-2004, 10:13 AM
hey
in live in brissy in The Gap it is along way from good fishing. i need to tow the boat atleast 1hr to get anywere decent. hopefully i can move to noosa when i have finished school.
hope you enjoy the sight
cheers
philip

paz
10-05-2004, 01:29 PM
another southerner,,,am in central west nsw.....all i gots here is a river :'(....
paz

Morlers
10-05-2004, 01:40 PM
Bundy in Qld (as in Bundy Rum). Fish in local rivers and out front coastal. Have just started going down to Hervey Bay (1.5hr drive) and found it is just fantastic. So many places to go and just beautiful. The ol' girl comes with me and thinks its great too.

I've got the best of both worlds....Bundy which is really Northern Hervey Bay and Hervey Bay proper (Urangan to Burrum Hds over to Fraser Is and south etc). ;D ;D

Morlers

fishy_phil
10-05-2004, 02:23 PM
South of Grafton NSW, Coutts Crossing actually.

got heaps of options available offshore, river, estuary, rock, beach, western rivers, etc.
but have fished most of em and know this area fairly well, but i have only been here for just over 3 yeears so ill be getting to know it a bit better the longer im here and the best bit of all the more i fish it!!!
cheers
phil

Gorilla_in_Manila
10-05-2004, 02:58 PM
South of Grafton NSW, Coutts Crossing actually.
i have only been here for just over 3 years
# # # # # # # # # # # cheers
# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #phil

Phil,
Hope you don't have a 330kV transmission line running through your property.
I remember the Couts Crossing locals being a tad upset about that in 1991. :-X
Fellow that owns the Golden Dog at Glenreagh loved us though. ;)
Cheers
Jeff
PS Sir N, I'm from Northern NSW originally - been lurking around SE Asia for the last 11 1/2 years.

adriancorrea
10-05-2004, 09:16 PM
Welcome to the site
Shailer Park, Brissy aswell ::)

Tight Lines
Adrian

SCOTTYGC
10-05-2004, 09:25 PM
live labrador , gold coast. from traralgon vic, lived perth for 10 years

Needmorerum
10-05-2004, 10:45 PM
Sunny Gladstone on the Capricorn Coast for me, most people would know the area, The Narrows, Calliope and Boyne River (Boyne Tannum Hook Up), Awoonga Dam (Barra Hmmmm Barra), Inner and Outer Barrier Reef and not alot of fish left, or maybe thats just me. Oh well, better keep trying.

Corry

bidkev
11-05-2004, 04:36 AM
Welcome to a 'reel' friendly site Noel.

I'm a whingeing Pomm that has lived on Brizzy Northside for 8 yrs. I've learned a lot here and I'm sure that there are a lot more who just lurk and pick up snippets of info, judging by the size of the membership.

Good yarns, good info, good company.....what more could you want from the net?

kev

stacer_seagull
11-05-2004, 05:16 AM
Hey All, Great site here..... I hail from Darwin NT Great place to do what we love i can tell ya.......

gunna
11-05-2004, 05:24 AM
I am a born & bred Qlder who just happens to have been living in Sydney for the past 34 years - which is nowhere near long enough to take the Qlder out of me. Go you mighty maroons/reds/bears etc etc. Best part is I move back home next year. YAHHHOOOO.

easyrider525
11-05-2004, 06:33 AM
liverpool area, south of sydney.right on the georges river. not wot it used to be, but it gets me to botany bay and beyond..

BlitzBaga
11-05-2004, 06:47 AM
I'm in Ipswich but don't hold that against me. I find it central for both salt and freshwater fishing and there are lots of fisho's around the area.

Cheers
Murray

where_is_dave
11-05-2004, 07:12 AM
In Brissy as well. Moving to west Syd next year so any info from down that way would be appreciated.

firetruck
11-05-2004, 07:15 AM
I'm on the southside of Brissy (mansfield). Nice and close to the gold coast and areas to access the bay.

northsboy
11-05-2004, 09:36 AM
Far north queensland,cairns!!!!!!!! Best fishing up here you guy dont know what ya missing out on :P :P ;D ;D
Cheers

CQ_Fisher
11-05-2004, 10:07 AM
G'Day Boys,

I'm from Gladstone. Have been here since 1998 when i moved from Rockhampton. Didnt really like the place too much when i first came here. Grew on me after a while and then i bought a boat about 18 months ago and now i have no intentions of going anywhere.

JD

nonibbles
11-05-2004, 10:13 AM
I live in heaven. For those of you who don't know where that is... Its a port city between Ayr & Ingham called Townsville.

nictim
11-05-2004, 11:24 AM
Currumbin Gold Coast the good end of the Gold Coast it's 10ks up the road till you have to change into white shoes & belt

Steve -----

sir_noelus
11-05-2004, 11:57 AM
Thanks guys (& gals if appropriate) Perhaps in our wanderings we'll catch up to one or two in reel life. Have fished Cairns twice, Tassie once, and have been to NZ to the Tongariro 11-12 times but probably not again. Have managed to catch things from mullet to marlin and am presently reminded of a recent topic 'How long since you went fishing'. This suddenly has a new meaning. Went base over apex off a deck (not boat) this am and now one leg in plaster with fishing ideas going out the window in schools. No doubt on day again in a month or two. Sure got more time to read the site so all is not lost. Noel.

sir_noelus
11-05-2004, 12:01 PM
Back again. We also lived in Orbost for ten years so know Scotty GC's country pretty well N.

Big_Kev
11-05-2004, 03:01 PM
My wife says that when I am on this site I am on another planet.
At least I think that is what she said.
Otherwise I live in Bris.
Cheers Kev. :) :)

jaybee
11-05-2004, 03:29 PM
The Question, Where Are you From
I am from my mothers womb, These days i live in logan,
cheers
Joe

GES
11-05-2004, 04:30 PM
I live in Cleveland, Brisbane. About 2 minutes from Raby Bay boat ramp and Morton Bay. I've found a lot of helpful hints from the blokes on this site and am grateful for it.

GES

col_aus
11-05-2004, 05:46 PM
south coast of nsw here down shellharbour way ,nice and quiet and plenty f good fishing.

Slates
12-05-2004, 05:21 AM
Victoria here!
don't hold it against me though :)

JB
12-05-2004, 06:42 AM
Burleigh on the GOLD COAST .. i have to say it is a fantastic place for fishing , the options are endless.. 3 bars to choose from, endless canals, jumpin mangrove islands, tweed river system, offshore options are unbelievable.. I love it!

propdinger
12-05-2004, 07:16 AM
i live in cleveland, brisbane
and love it here

jeff

beefaman
12-05-2004, 08:19 AM
Manly, Brisbane
Have just moved from the northside of Brissie 8)

chaser
12-05-2004, 08:26 AM
Wonthaggi ,
Victoria
Chaser

Dino
12-05-2004, 08:31 AM
Hi everyone,
I'm from the ACT, Canberra - please don't hold that against me as my redeeming feature is that I was born in Townsville. Canberra has plenty of great waterways in the city, as well as fantastic alpine and coastal waters within a short drive.
Cheers

Dino

Maria
12-05-2004, 08:50 AM
Lol, geez all you southern'ers have a guilty conscience. I mean as if us Qld'ers are going to hold that against you...now come on... ;D

Ben

Dino
12-05-2004, 09:43 AM
At least I'm a real Queenslander, born there - what about the rest of you? How many pretenders out there?

sir_noelus
12-05-2004, 09:44 AM
thanks Dino. I said I was from near Canberra. It's actually Queanbeyan. Glad I'm not the only one here. Noel

whiteman
12-05-2004, 10:42 AM
http://www.bbbalc.com or Balgal Beach 55km north of Townsville.

Survived many years on Sydney's northern beaches before this.

priemsy
12-05-2004, 11:57 AM
Raglan western Victoria, and proud to be a Victorian. Going up to Townsville soon to see my son and family, so info on any fishing spots up there apreciated.
Paul

cHiCo
12-05-2004, 12:01 PM
Cairns, born in vic and thank god im not there. couldnt stand moving from cairns of qld in general

Fishtale
12-05-2004, 02:26 PM
From tassy, where its windy most of the time and cold the rest :D

Fishtale

waxy
12-05-2004, 03:18 PM
born brissy ,lived at manly for years now at wello point,[birkdale].

jeffo
12-05-2004, 03:51 PM
born on the sunshine coast QLD... still living here! love the place!

Maccatak
12-05-2004, 04:14 PM
Tamworth N.S.W Cod, yellowbelly and heaps of country music every january

Brett_Hoskin
12-05-2004, 04:17 PM
Sydney. Port Stephens and now Mackay.

Cheech
12-05-2004, 05:41 PM
Hey Noel,,, know Queanbeyan well. Aunty use to live up at Wickerslack Lane.

Where are you from... Born in Canberra hospital, grew up in Victoria (Chaser,,, know Leongatha and Wonthaggi very well. Use to instruct at the Drop Zone (skydiving) at the Leongatha airfield about 15 years ago when it was operating.)

Then came up to Qld in late 94 for a holiday, after returning home partner said,,,, I wish I was in Qld. Said to her, ok let's move. The rest as they say is history. Moved the following easter and have lived on Ferny Hills ever since.

Unfortunately I was not into fishing when we picked the area otherwise I would have chosen somewhere a lot closer to the water.

Consider myself a true Queenslander as I am here by choice, and not due to berth. But my 2 kids were born hear so I have to be considered a Queenslander at least by association.

Cheech

Paul_C
12-05-2004, 06:53 PM
Moorooka in Brizvegas mon-thur

Somerset Dam fri-sun (full time hopefully soon)

Paul cade

sir_noelus
13-05-2004, 06:02 AM
priemsy, We grew up in western vic. 20+ yrs, Ballarat, Colac Ararat. Used to fish Cairn Curran Fyans, Wartook (lovely place) Bellfield when they filled it Rocklands Colac Portland etc. Would like to visit some of those places again one day. The lure of a different climate is pretty strong though. We're 65 yrs young and warm weather/water and fish seem to go together pretty well. Noel

Mr.Ocean
13-05-2004, 12:20 PM
G'day

I'm Thai and live in Thailand ;D

Cheers

darren
13-05-2004, 03:28 PM
earth

darren
13-05-2004, 03:38 PM
But spent nearly 20 yearsd at that godforsaken place called struggletown met the wife couldn't get out quick enough now live on the S/Shine coast couldn't be happier "well maybe"

s.tury
13-05-2004, 04:33 PM
ipswich boy moved to sunny coast 6yrs ago

Dug
17-05-2004, 05:25 PM
Currently Sunny Coast in beautiful Queensland via a varity of places Rockhampton, Home Hill, Canberra, Melbourne, Gippsland, Ipswich, Redcliffe, Sydney, Malaya, Fiji.
Just don't tell the police my location OK! ;D (Pity my son is a cop)

dasher
17-05-2004, 06:45 PM
Noel that area is pretty well stuffed mate. >:( Most of the waters are that low ya can't get a boat in. >:( ::) Hope the poor buggas get some rain soon.

arthur
18-05-2004, 04:58 AM
hi from redcliffe out of brisie. i fish scarborough reef and hases inlet i have a 11 ft 6 " tinnie i call dambuster. i fish a lot of dames in south east qld. cheers Arthur. ;D

sir_noelus
18-05-2004, 05:20 AM
Hi, Thanks foe all the replies. Didn't expect so many. Having a few 'puter problems, and am just about computer illiterate. Can still catch a fish now and then though. I sent something like this the other day but it doesn't show up. I gather there are a few 'not so youngs' like us out there too. Perhaps when we go north we may meet some in person. Also, I know many of the fish of which you speak, but GRinners?????? Never heard of them. What are they? Noel

Tally
18-05-2004, 08:54 AM
Auckland, NZ. Brisbane since 15yrs old, hopefully make the move to Mackay in the next couple of months, Brissie although wonderfull, is getting a bit too hectic for my tastes.
Cheers,
Jay.

Kunnara
18-05-2004, 01:10 PM
Gaday folks...Batemans Bay here,south coast of NSW..I suppose after the state of origin series you guys won't want to know us until all your wounds heal...HeeHee
Regards...kunnara

SeaHunt
18-05-2004, 01:42 PM
You would probably have to look long and hard to find anyone more of a Queenslander than yours truly. (in this colour anyway).
I'm 46, partents born here, three of four grand parents born here. Originally from Darling Downs region, Brisbane for 7 years. Next and last move will be up North.
I just had a look at the NSW state of origin team, those Blues selectors must be on drugs.. :o
All I can say is thanks and go the Maroons.

Dug
18-05-2004, 02:56 PM
If you don't know what grinners are, then you are a lucky bastard ;D

PinHead
19-05-2004, 12:08 AM
Born in brisbane..raised at Carina...now resident of north west suburb

MTpockets
24-05-2004, 04:44 AM
Born in Bendigo Vic, grew up in Mackay NQ till I was 25, and moved to Beenleigh in '83, and been here ever since, well Waterford now, but still only 30 mins from Jacobs Well 8)
I am a Queenslander through and through, even tho I was born in Vic, but still support the Blues when they arn't playing the Lions :)
cheers
Les

scatter1
25-05-2004, 02:41 PM
Another vote for Cleveland here. and grinners are the devil. half mouth the other half bones. they are truly the sewer rats of the sea. by the way i caught my biggest ever grinner at moreton last year, bastard went over a metre. can anyone beat that?

GiddyUp
25-05-2004, 03:12 PM
Another vote for the Redland Shire, lived at Birkdale for 25 years and Wello Pt for 6 years, mainly fish the bay :P

MTpockets
25-05-2004, 09:47 PM
Consider myself a true Queenslander as I am here by choice, and not due to berth. But my 2 kids were born hear so I have to be considered a Queenslander at least by association.

Cheech

Very simple cheech.... If you cheer the maroons on Wednesday night, and your favourite colour is maroon.... your a Qld'er. We dont have any other criteria ;D

Les

Gaz_2000
26-05-2004, 05:44 PM
Sydney,

Nice place to visist, but you wouldnt wanna live here, if only I could get a decent paying job in a fishing haven somewhere??????

Gaz

welbey
26-05-2004, 06:04 PM
Hi
Port Stephens
Nelson Bay
8) Tough but someones gotta do it. ;)

Swamp
26-05-2004, 06:53 PM
Queenslander - Mackay and not leaving - especially while they keep filling those big holes with water and barra

ratherbfishing
27-05-2004, 03:51 AM
:)hi there im from the u.k fish nearly every weekend but dont catch that much as the fishing on the east coast essex area is as the worst in my living memory :( which is due to a number of factors the main one being our spineless goverment has done nothing to protect our fish stocks from the french and spanish and does not recognise us as sport fisherman but i am in the process of applying for a australian visa so i hope to be out there with you boys drinking beer and catching fish!! a.s.a.p and to jump this sinking ship ,for a better life for me and the wife and kids.regards paul

steelcat41
28-05-2004, 08:48 AM
Noel,
I live not that far from you, Yass. I actually moved to Yass from Quenbeyan.I like wee jasper and Burrinjuck. Yass river is good if you like redfin and carp and very occasionally cod.

Darryn

sir_noelus
28-05-2004, 09:09 AM
Hi steelcat Have only been to Burrunjuck once and never fished it. We have on site van and 19 footer at Eucumbene so naturally that is our main f/water fishing. We troll there but mainly fly fish. Guy from Bowning (Aaron Payne ) worked for us four four years. You may know him if you enjoy a beer. We also fish Tuross Lake regularly and take a 14 foot tinnie there. Currently preparing to travel for a year and hopefully fish most of Aus, both fresh and salt, taking caravan and 12' car topper. Have to take wife too though. Good to hear from you. Noel

sir_noelus
28-05-2004, 09:13 AM
Nice to know that my ignorance of Grinners is no loss. thanks for the info. Sorry to all Qlders about the origin game. Noel

last-cast
28-05-2004, 10:07 AM
Another Brisbane fisherman myself although I am building a house in the noosa hinterland I am really looking forward to the fishing there. ;D

blueringin
28-05-2004, 07:05 PM
Well im really new to the site,as of tonight.Although i have dropped in from time to time to to hear what's happening up that way.I started life in Wales,left there when a tacker,came to Whyalla,went to Geelong/Newcomb,then back to Wales with oldies,worked my way back to Geelong after 2 yrs,left for Gladstone in 1980.From there to Geelong/Whyalla/Gladstone/Cairns/Mackay/back down again,then to Singleton/Coffs/Gladstone/Hervey Bay/Whyalla/1770/Tannum Sands.Well i've left out a few and for the past 6 years have been in Whyalla,SA[family]so what do you reckon that makes me,Qld,Vic,or croweater,maybe just an Aussie hey, '' well cheers all '' Ian

steelcat41
29-05-2004, 03:25 AM
Noel,
Aaaah Eucumbene, went there once with the missus.It was cold, lets just say if i was a brass monkey i would now have a squeaky voice. Anyway it got a bit too cold for us so we ended up moving camp to the Snow Goose Motel at Adaminaby for the night. Not much fishing but sure was a good night.

Darryn

sir_noelus
29-05-2004, 05:50 AM
Darryn, Yeah it can get cold allright but we have the gear to cope (had a dozen trips to fish NZ in winter so are well equipped) People tend to forget (or not know) that it's awsome hot there in mid summer too. For me, another couple of years here then perhaps further north. That's one of the reasons for long drive next year. Perhaps you should define a 'good night' C U Noel

steelcat41
29-05-2004, 09:49 AM
Even though we were not fishing we were drink'n lots of beer so it was still a good night.

Darryn

rodbender
31-05-2004, 07:49 AM
hi guys iam from tumbi umbi nsw its on the central coast.live hear for 25y 2 more months wife and i are moveing to qld.
rodbender