PDA

View Full Version : Pancake Creek

jimbob
20-05-2004, 06:01 AM
G day Blokes
Im an new to this site just got back in to fishing. Brought a 4.5m centre console to terrorise the grinner in the bay ;D But i just wanted to know if any body had ever heard of or fished Pancake Creek which is just north of 1770. A mate of mine goes up every june/july to chase the reefies that are around there and always seems to do very well he usually fishes at the front of the creek where apparantly there are some good bombies. So i was just wondering if anyone has ever fished it maybe alittle wider and with any success. Getting back to the bay i fished Mud Island on friday night along with quite a few other fishos and didn't do all that well just acouple of squire & bream and i noticed there was allot of fosferuse about what effect does this have on the fishing

SeaHunt
20-05-2004, 06:22 AM
Hi jimbob,
Yeah I don't know how to spell that luminous stuff either.. :P
As far as Pancake Creek goes, there is a guy on here called agnes_jack , owns the tackle up that way he will be able to fill you in.

ba229
20-05-2004, 08:01 AM
Phosphorus: An allotropic nonmetallic element occuring in phosphates and living matter. Sometimes used in matches, pesticides and alloys
Symbol: P
Atomic number: 15
Atomic weight: 30.974 ;D
I'm a smarty pants aren't I?

CQ_Fisher
20-05-2004, 08:46 AM
G'day Jimbob,

Havnt ever been to Pancake myself but heard a hell of alot about it. From what i have been told its a spectacular place with great fishing and i cant wait to get there. Spent Easer 2003 at Turkey Beach and was hoping to get around into Pancake, but if you recall the weather from last easter then you will understand why i didnt get there. SeaHunt is right on the money in saying that Tony aka "Agnes Jack" is the man to talk to. I havnt seen him on here for a while but I'm sure once he sees your querie he be able to tell you what you want to know.

Cheers
JD

banshee
20-05-2004, 12:56 PM
G'day jimbob,I'm not local to the area but get up that way (Turkey) each year around Christmass,Outer and Middle Rocks of Bustard Head is the first place I go if I can't get out to the Shoals,as a southener I rate the fishing as prety bloody good.The different species here is incredible,I have caught just about everything common to the area here except Red Throat,though the Red Emporer and Nannygai have only been small(8-10lbs) compared to what's out on the Reef.What does your mate catch in Winter?

NeilD
20-05-2004, 01:59 PM
I have both camped and stayed on board cruising boats in Pancake. The three rocks inner outer and middle have always produced pelagics (Spaniards,Cobia,Trevs, Tunas and huge Barracudas) the surrounding bottom in close to the headland and around the rocks has yeilded Trout, Cod, Parrot, Sweetlip, a lone Green Jobfish and other reefies.
Inside we have not done as well as we thought we might. A reef runs up the middle of the creek but we have caught little off it. We have caught small Trevs and Queenfish around the mouth and on a very low tide the small to mid sized lizards are in plague proportions. It gets very fishy as you get further from the mouth but we were worried about getting caught by the tide
I love the area.

jimbob
21-05-2004, 04:41 AM
G Day Banshee, the last time he fished there was just b4 last xmas he said the weather was great he managed to get a few trout, grassies, wyanetta cod, parrot, XOS morwong, & the variety & list goes on & on he also chases the big spaniards that get around. The spear fishing is pretty good on the shallower reef to the left of the mouth in close they get some very big blue tuskies & painyed crays so yeah the place is allive with marine life and i cant wait to get up there in winter. And in reply to neild he enters from way up the creek about an hour of 4x4 then put the boat in at some cause way but this can only be done at high tide.

maccaril
26-05-2004, 09:01 AM
jimbob
have fished middle creek which conects to pancake at high tide
best info is to stop in and see the guys at salty's in bundy
they even have their own hand drawn maps of the area
rob

GBC
29-05-2004, 11:36 AM
G'day Jimbob,

I know the causeway you're speaking of. (have seen it from the air when flying in to service Bustard Lighthouse)

I'd be V keen to get some directions for getting to it as I'll be up there in late June.

Cheers,

GBC

banshee
29-05-2004, 02:36 PM
G'day GBC,Proceed along the road into Turkey Beach and about three to four K's(guess) out of town you will see a single black power line crossing the road.On the right going in, the left going out of Turkey in the vicinity of this line there will be a track with an unlocked gate at the begining of it take this track and it will take you right to the causeway.The track and the line follow each other till nearly the end,on the way there will be another unlocked gate at the other side of what is known as the Danube(River and Forestry type bridge),when you reach this you are a bit under half way there,golden rule,leave the gates as you find them.Nearly all of the off shoot tracks going to the left before the bridge will take you to some prety good fishing spots.If you have a Four Wheel Drive you should be prety right if not Phone the shop at Turkey up and ask for advice.When you get to the causeway,going right will take you into Middle Creek,left is Pancake.

GBC
01-06-2004, 12:13 PM
Banshee,

You da man!
I was thinking about throwing the canoe on the roof for the trip, and now you've made my mind up.
Nothing like dust and salt water in the baitcaster.
Cheers,

GBC

NQCairns
02-06-2004, 05:20 AM
We did some exploring both by boat and 4wd of the area a couple of years ago. I have some GPS co-ords taken on the spot of some places/junctions/ramp/causway if anyone wants them just email me.
What is the go across the causeway to the island is it private property and a no go? Our trip through the area was fast so didn't get to explore all that much. nq