PDA

View Full Version : Blue spot trout

pogobill
03-06-2004, 08:06 AM
??? I am going to Stanage Bay at the end of the month , hope the wind stays away .
Could some one please tell me the differance from the Blue Spot Trout and the Coral Trout ??
My Grnats has not got the two fish in it .

Tight lines PogoBill . ??? ;) ???

SNELLY
03-06-2004, 11:52 AM
Pogobill,

The blue spot trout they refer to with different lengths and posessions is the Chienese footballer Trout - It is Black,white and yellow - Under this name it should be in your grants

Snelly

CHRIS_aka_GWH
03-06-2004, 02:47 PM
The blue spot trout ... is the Chienese footballer Trout - It is Black,white and yellow -

& the Queensland Super Twelve Union team in the Maroon jerseys are called the Reds

& the Carlton AFL team in the black singlets are the Blues

GOT IT !

jeez it couldn't be any easier ;)

raefpud
03-06-2004, 04:09 PM
There are several variations of the same trout (Coral trout) - Serranidae Family . I think they are pretty closely related with the exception to colour variations - they all inhabit the same sort of locations and live in the same complex family groups - Blue spot, islander, coral, footballer and coronation are all spectacularly beautiful and incredibly tasty fish, the distinct colour variations can vary dramatically, from lite gray to deep red depending on their age and position in the harem, as spots can vary and also bars or stripes - so only take what u need, as having just swam with them for the past five days on Heron Island, i really am beginning to understand the complex lifecycles and important part they play in coral reef ecology. I am thinking these fish really need to be tightly monitored or managed or even fully protected as they are very vulnerable to overfishing, as demand on these fish is only going to increase, it would be sad to see such a marvellous creature dissapear.

Kerry
03-06-2004, 04:25 PM
Your probably not going to run into many blue spot in that country as traditionally blue spot habitat the wider reef areas.

Blue spot grow quite large and the biggest I've seen was close to 80lb but I doubt many will ever see blue spot this large in shallow coastal areas.

You'll certainly know the difference between a blue spot and a footballer and besides any trout over 10-12lb isn't worth the risk of eating anyway, toss em back.

Cheers, Kerry.

SNELLY
03-06-2004, 04:26 PM
OK here is a pic - The Chinese Footballer or Blue Spot trout are not that common hence the limit 50mm min and 80mm max and they must be retained whole

The one in the middle is a Chinese Footballer Trout or Blue Spot Trout. The ones on the outside are your normal Coarl Trout

pogobill
03-06-2004, 05:56 PM
:) :) Ok , thank you all for your advice . yes I did find it in my Grants .

tight lines Bill

Daintreeboy
03-06-2004, 07:01 PM
Here Bill check these out
http://fishbase.sinica.edu.tw/ComNames/CommonNameSearchList.cfm

Cheers, Mark.

Daintreeboy
03-06-2004, 07:07 PM
Here's a link to a photo of a big specimen and the different colour changes they can have. The original post is of a Bar cheeked or Islander trout (nice one too)
Cheers, Mark

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/board/YaBB.cgi?board=Saltwater_Pics;action=display;num=1 082858132

kc
04-06-2004, 12:15 PM
Raefpud wrote...talking of coral trout!!

I am thinking these fish really need to be tightly monitored or managed or even fully protected as they are very vulnerable to overfishing, as demand on these fish is only going to increase, it would be sad to see such a marvellous creature dissapear.

I would like to know if your opinion has any basis in fact. From the research I have seen Coral Trout appear to be one of the most effective species on the entire reef at adjusting to fishing pressure (see Reef CRC research papers).

Additional to this apparent ability to withstand fishing pressure with its spawning habits, as I understand it, the Qld government, mindful of the increasing commercial and recreational pressure on this species has reduced the commercial capacity from some 1300 to 350 licenses, is introducing a catch quoto of about 1500 tonnes (back down to pre live trout trade levels) from last years take of in excess of 2500 tonnes and reduced recreational bag limits. All this on top of GBRMPA banning all fishing on more than 30% of the reef.

I don't think any fisho wants to see trout wiped off the reef in any way shape or form but to suggest, without any credibile basis or facts that coral trout should be "fully protected" is a bit over the top. Barra cod and wrasse I have no personal problem with, trout however is another story. RAP is bad enough, again on the basis of no facts, banning the taking of coral trout and you destroy reef fishing as we know and enjoy it.

Regards

KC