PDA

View Full Version : Weipa! Help!

Fisho_Tomo
08-06-2004, 06:02 AM
For the first time my fly fishing mate and i are making a trek to Weipa! We are hiring a boat and getting one day guided! I am not sure if i have the right amount of gear i have:
Lefty Kreh 9wt9ft with a lamson V3.5
Sage Rplxi 8wt Lamson V3
A Shit load of flies in size 1,2,4, 1/0. and spare fly tying gear
4-6kg spinning rod with a penn spinfisher (no line?) what line do i use? Is the rod to light?
I also have a crap game rod if about 15kg that i want to see if i can break!
I am not sure how many spare fly lines i need?, What type of lures (never really done much spinning like this) and how many?
I am a trout fisherman and have been doing it since i was young but only really salmon, small kingies and taylor on salt fly nothing like this Wepia stuff. Cant Wait to get up there only three more weeks!

davo
08-06-2004, 08:01 AM
I went up in April and between me and my wife we caught 23 species in a week. I went with weipaflyfish and stayed at the Heritage resort. My mate is a guide for them and I got a very good deal. As for lures, I'm not a fly fisherman but have spoke to some who have gone through a few lines because of fish biting at them! Take some spares, also phone the new agency and other tackle outlets to see if they stock fly lines. They have a good selection of tackle up there and it's OK for price.

Take some plastics like 3" shads, and 2.5 " grubs etc... we caught heaps of jacks on them. Prawnstars, Rios and soft prawns are a must, we caught 42 barra in a day on them and 37 the next!. B52's' Rapala Husky jerk and my favourite the River2 Sea Triho120F for shallow work also the old nilsmaster spearhead for a smaller lure. Stick bait poppers like River2sea bubble pen100 are great all rounder for barras, togas,queenies. Take heaps of slugs 25-40 gram with single hooks. A few larger poppers. As for deep divers my favourite was the Predatek spoonbill by far. Go for flashy silver and gold colours with so natural colours also. The bright stuff didn't go so well but still take some. We kept it to 3 Plano 4000 boxes and had enough. Remember there are shops up there and they do have the right stuff.

Fisho_Tomo
08-06-2004, 08:50 AM
Thanks Davo, that was very imformative! H was not aware that there was a fishing store up there at all, and to be quite honest it put me at ease knowing that there is as i am going to Thursday Island the week after and if we need to uy gear then we can.
Most of our fishing is unguided but we have fishing freinds that used to live there that are visting at the same time we are there!
Is black a good colour? What about tides? Do you know any info on that or somewhere where i can read up about it?

kc
08-06-2004, 09:01 AM
Mate the place is awsome. I go up 6 times a year. See if you can get hold of a copy of a video called "Fishing Wild in Weipa"....THE BEST fishing videa I have ever watched. When are you going.

Regards

KC

Fisho_Tomo
08-06-2004, 09:04 AM
ill be there from the 24th of june till the 2nd of july, then to thursday island.for 5 days
Can't wait!
Mate ill try to find the vid!

kc
08-06-2004, 09:15 AM
Creeks will be slowing up but blue water heaven. Get down off Boyds Bay and pera heads. Long tail tuna on fly till get sick of catching them...let the fly sink a bit and then spanish and greys on the same bait balls. In around the rocks at pera is Queenfish city and plenty of giant herring in close along the beaches. Any small baitfish pattern fly will work, Blue/Silver with some flash. 9/10 wt with good reels, good drags and plenty of backing. I'm afraid trout fishing will never be quiet the same again & Weipa will outfish TI 10 to 1.

Regards

KC

Fisho_Tomo
08-06-2004, 09:19 AM
oh yeah! Many spare fly lines? i have a 9wt with velocity 3.5. Or just go straight for a shooting head

SNELLY
08-06-2004, 10:06 AM
Tomo,

I would get hold of some LC13 or T14 and make some shooting heads - These will work out cheap are easily replaced and will work as you can get good depth. Also they will cast much easier in the wind.

If you could only take one fly it would have to be a Charteruse and White 2/0 Clouser. But everyone will have flies that will work and at the end of the day most will in a fish rich place like Weipa.

Snelly

Snelly