PDA

View Full Version : question??? please help

azfishgirl
08-06-2004, 03:03 AM
hi- i got a Tilapia for my nephew from a fish farm down at the UofA, ive had it for about 4 months now. but the thing keeps digging huge holes in the fish tank. does anyone know why? are they a-sexual or is it trying to get out? thanks for any info. please email me if i am allowed to put my email addy on here. it is azdirtmodfan@aol.com
thanks

raefpud
08-06-2004, 04:59 AM
Cichlids tend to dig holes when first establishing themselves in captivity - if u keep filling the holes in it should soon stop - especialy if its a solitary animal - and no i dont believe they are asexual.

bidkev
08-06-2004, 05:51 AM
As Reafpud said, Cichlids tend to dig holes. I always put a small layer of gravel down on the u/gravel filter first, then a layer of shade cloth, then the bulk of the gravel. When they get to the shade cloth they give up and move elsewhere and hopefully, they will spit the gravel from the 2nd move onto the first hole.

I also silicone the base of plastic plants to pieces of rock placed under the gravel, so they can't tear 'em out.......that has the buggers bamboozled! :-)

BTW, they're pretty fast growing if you do frequent 25% water changes, and if it gets *too* troublesome........they're bloody good eating :-)

cheers

kev

SeaHunt
08-06-2004, 06:48 AM
LMAO Kev, "good eating", #:) :) #coming from you, I have no idea what that means. :P

mackmauler
08-06-2004, 07:10 AM
ahahahahhahahah seahunt ;D

Maria
08-06-2004, 07:13 AM
Kev,

Are times really that hard mate? ;D

Ben

MY-TopEnder
08-06-2004, 08:01 AM
hahaha is there anything aquatic that you won't eat Kev? ;D

Mr.Ocean
08-06-2004, 08:44 AM
That's normal habit for Tilapia, they dig a hole for breeding and always keep the hole clean if you drop someting in to the hole they will take it out (including a hook, that is a way to fish them)

bidkev
08-06-2004, 01:35 PM
LMAO Kev, "good eating", #:) :) #coming from you, I #have no idea what that means. :P

Nowadays *I'm* the head chef and pot washer. After 18 yrs of the deckie's cooking, and survival cpourses with the Royal Marines,*anything* is good eating ;-)........I tried pillies once.......minced up with mashed spud and onion and fried, they're *almost* as good as shovellies :-)

cheers

kev

bidkev
08-06-2004, 01:37 PM
Kev,

Are times really that hard mate? #;D

Ben

5 kids mate........what more can I say :-)

cheers

kev.......all dolphins gratefully received :-)

bidkev
08-06-2004, 01:40 PM
hahaha is there anything aquatic that you won't eat Kev? #;D

Well, back in the UK, we used to catch some little white furry things with red blotches and stringy tails........I wouldn't touch them buggers......no telling where they'd been ;-)

cheers

kev