PDA

View Full Version : News Release - Big win against crab crimes

QLD_Fisheries
08-06-2004, 12:53 PM
http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/news/NewsReleases/15405.html

The information contained in this document is distributed by the Queensland Government for information purposes only. All reasonable steps have been made to ensure the information is accurate at the time of publication. For more information visit the DPI&F Fishweb site at http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb

SeaHunt
08-06-2004, 01:06 PM
Names would be good..
Same jail time for defaulting on $3000 fine as a $1500 fine .? ???

Gazza
08-06-2004, 02:55 PM
yep , they share the same jar of vas as well :-X

Should be consideration to impose 1~2 year good-behaviour bonds as well ,whether they pay the fine or not >:(

Mate "names" aren't important , innocent family ,didn't do the crime.
Good to see the "clean-up" rate just nearly passed 1% ,that's a start ,and well done QFP ,should be STANDARD PROCEDURE , don't you think? ???

imported_admin
09-06-2004, 02:01 PM
4 June, 2004
Big win against crab crimes

A successful Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries (DPI&F) undercover operation investigating illegal crabbing activities in the Logan River has resulted in heavy fines for four Brisbane men.

The men appeared in Beenleigh Magistrates Court today (June 4) and were found guilty of interfering with commercial fishing apparatus.

Two men were convicted and fined $3000 plus $62 court costs with six months to pay or three months jail for defaulting on the payment.

Two other men were convicted and fined $1500 plus $62 court costs with six months to pay or three months jail for defaulting on the payment.

Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol (QBFP) officers carried out the operation in December last year following complaints about crab pot thefts and raiding in the Logan River.

During the operation, QBFP field officers fitted four male mud crabs with microscopic metal tags and placed them in crab pots in the river.

Throughout the night the officers monitored the activities of the four men who took the crabs from the pots.

The tags allowed the officers to scan the crabs using a metal detector. The crabs were identified as those belonging to the QBFP.

QBFP field officer Brendan Johnson said the operation was a big win in the fight against crabbing crimes.

“The heavy fines are a message to anyone considering stealing or interfering with another person’s crab pots,” he said.

“These are considered serious crimes under the Fisheries Act and anyone found breaking these regulations will be dealt with accordingly.”

Mr Johnson said fisheries regulations were aimed at sustaining Queensland’s valuable fisheries resources.

“Rules are in place to protect and conserve crab stocks. By following the regulations these valuable fisheries resources will be around for current and future generations of Queenslanders,” he said.

For more information about fisheries rules and regulations, contact the DPI Call Centre of 13 25 23 or visit the DPI Fishweb site at www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb

clutter
09-06-2004, 04:41 PM
Why protect them by not revealing their names. Names should be made public to show the buggers up a bit more. Happens with other convictions why not these?

Your thoughts please.

Clutter

SeaHunt
09-06-2004, 04:59 PM
I agree clutter , adds to the sentence. In Country towns they put every court case in the paper, names and all, probably because nothing else is happening there that is print worthy, anyway everyone knows everyone else so there is a fairly high shame factor as well. :o

bugman
11-06-2004, 06:48 AM
Gentlemen,

Those above press release refers to court case involving four Brisbane men.

Bradley Hallam, Craig Hallam, Troy Boyce and Matthew Kelly.

Anyone know them?

For about $80 we can get the full transcript of the court proceedings (which would also include their adress) and publish them here if anyone is interested.

Bugman

sir_noelus
11-06-2004, 07:37 AM
Yeah, you're probably right, innocent families didn't do anything wrong. Regardless, I'm in favour of having identities made public. The comment about the public shame thing is spot on. Problem is they most likely wouldn't give a stuff about that either. If they did, they wouldn't have done the job in the first place. Anonimity in a place the size of Brizzie is a bit different to here too. With our 30,000 people, everyone would know. Noel

lordy
11-06-2004, 12:16 PM
Good stuff Bugman.

I think addresses might be taking it a bit fair. Don't want people driving buy shouting abuse at the families aren't involved (which is what happened when they gave out the address of the bouncer that killed Hooksey).

Gazza
11-06-2004, 03:54 PM
Bugman , your a hero mate #:'(

Now read this bit...
"The men appeared in Beenleigh Magistrates Court today (June 4) and were found guilty of interfering with commercial fishing apparatus."

Now you tell me ,is the QBFP a "commercial" identity ?
Another asssumption is possibly ,they were doing it on behalf of RecFishos?
Another assumption could be they were greenies , a la rainbow warrior ilk, interfering with "commercial" apparatus.
They are probably crooks , they could be getting crabs for the "commercials" as well #;D

The message to me ,was enforcement (albeit on a minor scale)
Your naming message was of use to ,all the people in the phonebook with those initials #::) , and ,of course to be a hero ,who could also afford the $80.00 as well #:'(

bugman
11-06-2004, 04:46 PM
Gazaa - you wouldn't be having go at me would you mate ;)

Gazza
11-06-2004, 04:52 PM
No Names :-X

reefraider_II
11-06-2004, 05:35 PM
i have lost about 20 pots in the logan
tar and feather em!!!!

clutter
11-06-2004, 06:49 PM
Sorry Gazza but I totally disagree. As someone said previously, names are reported all the time in smaller towns and cities. Rocky and Gladstone used to do it when I lived up that way and it even used to make the tv sometimes. Nameing them will allow the people to who do know them to keep an eye out for the pricks in the future and will make them think twice doing it again.

Clutter

Gazza
11-06-2004, 06:51 PM
Reefer #;D , well the QBFP ain't no help mate #:o
they were only watching "their" own "commercial aparatus" #:o , and saw these guys TAKE from "their" pots......

Is that not the truth and circumstance #??? , if you read this bit #:P
"Throughout the night the officers monitored the activities of the four men who took the crabs from the pots. "

RecFisho crabpots being actually s-t-o-l-e-n ::) , well who gives a shit #::) ::) ::) :P :P :P :-* :-* :-*
:-X :-X :-X
;)

Gazza
11-06-2004, 06:55 PM
Publish the address of all Speed Camera ticket-holders too ;) , that'll slow em down ::)

bugman
12-06-2004, 06:32 AM
Mate with out getting in to a debate .. the proceedings of the court case are on the public record.

Unless the judge rules that the indentity of those charged and convicted should remain hidden - (I don't think it's ever happened after conviction), Those people have gone through a public process that allows the information to pass to the public.

It's available to anyone who knows where to look ;)

As for them taking crabs out of the fisheries pots, I've got know doubt they were taking crabs from anyone's pots but more than likley pro pots on a regular basis.

It's obvious that the pros would have went to the QBF on this one with good evidence that warrented QBF setting up the sting.

My guess is they already knew who they were after before the sting but needed to ctach them in the act ;)

Bugman

baldyhead
12-06-2004, 08:12 AM
Hey u guys, u want to go to Karumba and put your pots out there. The Pros STEAL the contents of your pots @ nite every nite of the week. In March/April the pros were being paid $18.75 kg live weight. We never got a legal crab out of 12 pots on any morning and we actually spotted a pro robbing ours and others @ low tide when we couldn't get in to them. We also saw a pro punt setup with a spotty and working the area that our and others recreational pots were late at nite. There were no pro pots over there where he was doing his bastard act. We watched the punt leave the ramp and head over to where our pots were then saw the spotty on numerous occasions. Lesson Learned - put yuh pots about 20km up the coast away from the local pro crabber. QB&F were not interested.