PDA

View Full Version : News Release - Heavy fines for wrong information

QLD_Fisheries
11-06-2004, 10:59 AM
http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/news/NewsReleases/15439.html

The information contained in this document is distributed by the Queensland Government for information purposes only. All reasonable steps have been made to ensure the information is accurate at the time of publication. For more information visit the DPI&F Fishweb site at http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb

propdinger
11-06-2004, 11:51 AM
9 June 2004

Heavy fines for misleading information
Two men have received heavy fines for giving false information to the Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries (DPI&F).

The men who both work for a Redcliffe seafood processing company, pleaded guilty in the Brisbane Magistrates Court recently to providing false and misleading information to a Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol (QBFP) officer.

One man was fined $2000 with no conviction recorded. The other was fined $3000 and ordered to pay a further $1500 in professional costs. Again, No conviction was recorded.

QBFP field officer Graham Shield said the fines sent a strong message to people not cooperating with QBFP officers.

“The men deliberately gave me wrong and misleading information while I was investigating a separate fisheries-related matter,” Mr Shield said.

“Not cooperating with inspectors who are investigating fisheries offences is taken very seriously by the Courts and the Department and these fines reflect that.”

Mr Shield said fisheries resources belonged to the community and the QBFP relied on the public for support in helping to protect fish stocks.

“Most of the time people are great and help us with our inquiries but every now and then we meet some resistance,” he said.

“The bottom line is rules are in place to protect and conserve fisheries resources to ensure that they will be around for current and future generations of Queenslanders.”

Gazza
11-06-2004, 01:14 PM
Why is no conviction recorded ?

nonibbles
11-06-2004, 01:19 PM
I like that statement:
"Fisheries resources belong to the community"
Yeah right, until a reco lands in court :-X

SeaHunt
11-06-2004, 01:20 PM
Conviction for what ? Telling Porkies..
It sounds interesting , be good to know the story behind this one.

If they were just being smart arses and told the investigator a heap of BS. , well the fine is probably enough. ::)

jockey
11-06-2004, 02:34 PM
You can also get done for not following the instructions of police (like when they say 'move along people, nothing to see here'). But I don't think you can get done for lying to police - only for lying under oath in court. But you can get done for wasting police time. Strange indeed.

Gazza
11-06-2004, 02:46 PM
Hi Seahunt , what fine of $3K doesn't get a conviction?

Mate ,even if i went to court on a speeding fine ,and wasn't 'convicted' i wouldn't pay any fine ,why would i ::)

kc
11-06-2004, 06:18 PM
Funny hey!! The politicians give US "wrong information" ALL THE TIME & yet WE Pay THEM!!

KC

clutter
11-06-2004, 06:39 PM
Once again, why not name the buggers as well and the company they work for.

Clutter

Gazza
11-06-2004, 07:09 PM
Mate read the Neonsign locality ,that should narrow it down.
I could be wrong ,didn't want to name anybody unnecessarily ,just in case ,to be sure.
???

SeaHunt
12-06-2004, 12:32 PM
Hi Seahunt , what fine of $3K doesn't get a conviction?

Mate ,even if i went to court on a speeding fine ,and wasn't 'convicted' i wouldn't pay any fine ,why would i #::)

The answer is plenty, It is up to the judge to use his discression on this ie. wether you should get a permanent criminal record or not. ie .. He is convicted but a conviction is not recorded.
Case in point.
A friend of mine went to court for assaulting a girl, got $1000 fine 80 hours community service and no conviction recorded.
And fair enough once you hear the circumstances.
He came out of a nightclub , bit pissy , some drunk girl outside mouthing off at anyone passing by, he says something not too polite to her and she comes running up screaming and yelling and slapping into him. He then puts his hand in her face and pushes her away. She goes arse up , mostly because she is blind drunk, bouncers see her falling down and jump on the guy and call the police and he has to go to court for assault.
This guy is studing law at uni and a conviction would have meant he could never become a lawyer. The judge obviously considered that the girl was at least partly at fault.
:P

Gazza
12-06-2004, 02:47 PM
Gee Mum can be embarrassing :P
;D

Gazza
13-06-2004, 05:58 AM
C'mon guys , we aren't playing the game , what's the name,address and ,if possible, the car Rego ,of this convicted 'woman assaulter'.
::)