PDA

View Full Version : hervey bay info

caloundra
17-06-2004, 03:02 PM
heading up to hervey bay in a couple of weeks never fished up there before taking my mates 465 truck so plenty of open water to try
wondering if anyone is willing to share any marks, tips, ect? i am mainly targeting snapper but anything will keep me happy
please [smiley=helpa.gif]

Daniel

Lucky_Phill
17-06-2004, 03:43 PM
for a Hervey Bay update.

www.fishntales.com

Phill

caloundra
17-06-2004, 03:47 PM
thanks phil

caveman
17-06-2004, 04:24 PM
my tip is don't bloody go stay home and service your boat/car all i got was 2 fish for a w/end trip about a month ago

caloundra
17-06-2004, 04:36 PM
caveman what spots did you try and i will stay away from them LOL

caveman
17-06-2004, 05:02 PM
anywhere between harvey and fraser

TonyM
18-06-2004, 06:36 AM
lmao - Caveman, seems to me you picked either the wrong day, the wrong bait, the wrong spots, or a combination of the above! (were you using 150lb line or something) ;D

Daniel - Will you be doing any night fishing? Do you know specifically when you'll be here? Depending on what the tides are I would reccomend different spots. Personally, I get best results night fishing around 1st and last quarter moons, although if I'm super keen for a fish around full/new moon I have different spots I'll fish during the bigger tides. I also have "lazy days" where I'll go out for a fish during the day, but these are more for fun than actually catching decent fish.

I haven't personally seen any decent snapper yet this season, although with the temp cooling down it might be close.... I have been doing fine on other reef species though.

dasher
18-06-2004, 04:09 PM
Was hoping you're still around Tony. ;D If the fishing is crap contact us and we'll make up for it with hospitality.0410 214 604 ;D ;D ::)

Lucky_Phill
19-06-2004, 01:39 PM
bloody hell gary ( Caveman )

one lonesome shot at one of the best fishing destinations on the Qld coast , and you strike out, and now it's a desert. ffs. ;) ;D

That place holds very good fish numbers and species. it also has , I believe, 2 very distinct seasons, the Summer. Which is Spottie heaven and Winter,,,,, Snapper time.

Now, in between these there are species that will hold your attention:-

Blackall, Sweetlip, Queenfish, Barramundi, Tuna, Trevally, Cod, Coral Bream, Cobia, Spanish Macks, Jack with every man and his dog being able to dong any number of Whiting & Bream.

This is not to mention the vast reef areas out Rooneys way and the Gutters, with species like, Red Emporer, Scarlet Sea Perch, Hussar, Squire, Coral Trout etc etc.

A local fishing mag. Let's Go Fishing " has many reports from the area, and has good local writers doing those reports.

A copy should be able be gained from your local newsagent, or by contacting them at fishing@herald.com.au or 07 4121 2222

Tony Moss at Fishntales can be contacted by phone and is very, very helpful.

Choose your species, choose your season, choose your bait, choose your location, choose you consequences !

Good luck

Phill

MY-TopEnder
19-06-2004, 02:29 PM
Hey does anyone know the water classification for around Hervey Bay (i.e. Smooth Water)?

Morlers
19-06-2004, 02:54 PM
According to the 'Qld Recreational Boating Safety Handbook', issued by Qld Transport, it shows the area in between a line drawn from Burrum Point to the Fairway Beacon to Rooney Point down to a line drawn from the North Heads at River Heads accross to approx Kingfisher Bay is all 'Partially Smooth' waters and is specified in legislation. The area south of southern line to Inskip Point/Hook Point is 'Smooth Water' also as specified in lagislation. Hope that helps.

:) :)
Morlers

bay_firey
19-06-2004, 02:54 PM
Hervey Bay is mainly Partially Smooth, with waters along the Great Sandy Straits classed as Smooth

You can download the maps from Maritime Qld (http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/qt/msq.nsf/index/sps_maryborough)

bay_firey
19-06-2004, 02:56 PM
Hervey Bay is mainly Partially Smooth, with waters along the Great Sandy Straits classed as Smooth

You can download the maps from Maritime Qld (http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/qt/msq.nsf/index/sps_maryborough)

MY-TopEnder
19-06-2004, 03:29 PM
Thanks for that... i'm planning on heading up at Christmas for a fortnight. Just wanted to check that i had the right gear.

mossy43
19-06-2004, 04:17 PM
Thanks Phill for the mention if anybody wants a report on the Bay they can check out the site or they can contact me via email or by phone (4125 7425) and if I can help I will. Mossy ;D ;D

caveman
19-06-2004, 06:25 PM
phil its not a one off mate i've been going there on and off for the past 3-4 yrs,i thinks it time that irealise that i'm only a fisher not a fish catcher ??? ???, tryed to call you mossy when i was up there i left a mesage i figured you must have been away

mossy43
19-06-2004, 07:07 PM
I am sorry I missed you Gary next time for sure. Mossy