PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone Identify this fish .

searaider
21-06-2004, 07:50 AM
I caugh a few of these fish at Northern Deep Tempest ,they were all about 38 cm long ,deep red , forked luner shaped tail ,
black line at the base of their top fin's and purple patch on either side , similar to the black patch on a Moses Perch
Does anyone know what they are called ?
I think that they may be a member of the PigFish famly IE- Gold Spot Wrasse or Black Spot Pig Fish .

No1 of 2 photo's
The bottom of the tail was cut of , refer to photo No 2 for the tail shape .

Peter
Searaider 2

searaider
21-06-2004, 07:56 AM
Photo No 2
By the way all of the squire in the photo's may not look like it, but they were all over 35 cm's .

Peter
Searaider 2

webby
21-06-2004, 08:21 AM
Hi pete
Looks more like a scarlet job fish, but could be totally wrong, just going on the tail.
regards

ANYFISH
21-06-2004, 09:14 AM
if you don't know what they are why did you bring em home ???

mackmauler
21-06-2004, 09:22 AM
black spot piggies ;D

Vey nice eating fish Peter as you probably found out, make snapper taste ordinary 8)

The wide spots are home to lots of them ;D they have very sharp gill plates and shouldnt be handled while kicking.

Rob

searaider
21-06-2004, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the info guys ,

Macmauler / Rob ,
I would have called them to being related to the piggie clan .
Thanks for the warning re the sharp plates .

Webby ,
You could be right ?
But I can't find anything in grants in the Job Fish area called a scarlet , to compare them with .

anyfish ,
I had a fair idea that the fish were part of the Pig family .
others types like are the Gold Spot etc are Yummeeeeee.
If I didn't think they were edible they certainly would have been thrown back .
(that's one reason I advised that the squire were over 35 cm ,I only keep legal & edible fish , the squid will go for bait ).

Peter
Searaider 2

MATT_HAYES
21-06-2004, 01:55 PM
THATS A SQUID AT THE TOP OF PHOTO MATE,I SEE NO-ONE ELSE HAS GOT THAT ONE YET LOL ;)