PDA

View Full Version : Sticker advice

HAZ
22-06-2004, 09:30 PM
Hi Guys,
I've just ordered some Ausfish stickers for my new (old) boat. I have peeled off some old stickers from the fibreglass and was wondering what is best and safest to use to remove the old sticky residue ?
Thanks for any advice,
HAZ.

bungie
23-06-2004, 02:17 AM
Sika, as in Sikaflex, sell a cleaner I used on my fibre glass hull before using one of their products to "glue" my gunwale rubber on

blaze
23-06-2004, 02:28 AM
Sign writers use a citris product that works well, but with care a bit of multi midway thinners works wonders. Just try a bit somewhere that you dont see first which is a good idea with any unknow product on your boats surface
cheers
blaze

bidkev
23-06-2004, 04:35 AM
Citro Clean (available at Coles) is great. Be careful that it doesn't clean the surrounding area and leave the remainder looking "grubby".

cheers

kev

DR
23-06-2004, 06:52 AM
Good old fashioned turps will remove it, just give it a bit of a soak by wetting some paper with turps & applying it over the glue, keep paper wet by dabbing with a cloth soaked in turps for a few mins. then give a good wipe over with rag. if stubborn will need a bit of elbow grease.
alternatively, go to Bunnings & buy a bottle of De-Solvit sticky spot & stain remover, its one of the citrus based glue removers, between $3 & $4 for 250ml spray bottle. follow directions it's good gear

CQ_Fisher
23-06-2004, 12:33 PM
"sticky spot & stain remover" Monica Lewinski could have used some of that stuff on her famous blue dress. If only Bill Clinton was an Ausfish member he could have still been President. ha ha

Cheers
JD

bay_firey
23-06-2004, 03:26 PM
Don't use turps, it will leave an oily film after it is dry (unless cleaned with soapy water after use)

A septone product called "Wax and Grease Remover" or often refered to as Prepsol will do an excelent job and is available from Super Cheap / Repco type places.

easyrider525
23-06-2004, 04:06 PM
if all else fails
use eucalyptis oil
all natural, and smells great too ;D

DR
23-06-2004, 04:11 PM
Don't use turps, it will leave an oily film after it is dry (unless cleaned with soapy water after use)

A septone product called "Wax and Grease Remover" or often refered to as Prepsol will do an excelent job and is available from Super Cheap / Repco type places.

sorry, should have said to wash off turps residue. took it as a given, clean with windex after turps