PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Club CD Rom

whitey73
23-06-2004, 02:50 PM
We are looking for a Program that can keep track of all our fishing clubs #Competitions , Weigh ins and Fish Length weight Data and all other stuff that goes with running one. We have heard of Tournament Tracker Software but all of our attempts to contact them have not been answered . Does any one know of any others available. Thanks for Lookin . Whitey (Barratta Creek Boating and Angling Club)

MY-TopEnder
23-06-2004, 03:01 PM
If you want something custom written to suit you guys, there is someone around that can do it.

Give Marc @ Urban Software a call on 3275 1070, or an email on md@urbansoftware.com.au and he can build you something.

Failing that, and you still want something custom written but on a more basic level, give me a yell and i can have a crack at it.

DRJ
24-06-2004, 04:44 AM
Do a search on Google for "Fishing Log Software" and you'll have more links than you can handle to search through.

I did this awhile ago and some of the packages handled tournaments as well as personal records.

Darren

TonyM
24-06-2004, 09:02 AM
I have written a Fishing Log application that could be customised to suit your needs.

Shoot me an email tony@idealists.com if you'd like to discuss

MY-TopEnder
24-06-2004, 09:40 AM
I'm about to start work on one that will be free for anyone to use.

Any suggestions on things that you'd like it to record, you can email them to me, or send me an IM...

whiteman
24-06-2004, 10:03 AM
I just gave one of my work experience kids intructions to knock up something similar in MS-Access. Once I told him the data I wanted it took him a couple of hours to knock up. If you can use a spreadsheet you can teach yourself Access in no time. The trick is the reporting requirements which will be different for every club.

MY-TopEnder
24-06-2004, 10:07 AM
Yeah the one i'm doing will be developed in Filemaker 7... and of course i have the assistance in building it by THE BEST, Filemaker Developer in the country...

whitey73
25-06-2004, 05:34 PM
Thanks fellas Well see how we go and well get back to yas . We need to record all weigh in data as well as having something that gets all the results together for fish length - weight ratios and the like .

MY-TopEnder
25-06-2004, 06:15 PM
Whitey,

I'm currently working on a piece of software that will essentially be broken into 4 parts.

Boat Info, Trip Records, Tackle box, and Tournaments. I can't really give away too many of my ideas as that would be shooting myself in the foot but the end result when its complete will be free.. the hours alone for this project will come close to $4,000 from the top notch developer.

Nugget
26-06-2004, 02:41 AM
I get a lot of enquiries for software for exactly this purpose.
If anyone has anything - please forward a copy to me to look at.
Or email me direct to discuss what clubs need.

There is a need for simple recording software that the average club secretary with three thumbs and little PC skills can use.
Club weigh in records, mebership list etc etc.
Can anyone do it in Visual Basic so it looks pretty?
Spreadsheets are yucky.
Dave ><>

TonyM
26-06-2004, 04:26 AM
Hi Dave,

I'll shoot you an email - VB is my preferred development platform (over 10 years including 5 at Microsoft). I have allready created a fishing log application you can find at www.idealists.com/fishingbuddy

It wouldn't be too big a deal to create a version geared towards clubs. I have also been working on a module that caters for recording tagged fish and forwarding details to the state authority (DPI, Fisheries etc)

whiteman
26-06-2004, 09:10 AM
Access can be changed by just about any hack who can think a little beyond excel and comes with plenty of pre-built buttons and functions. Even Excel can be used because it is powerful in the right hands. VB (.net if you like) is a programmers tool with a heap of power but you'll have to keep going back to your programmer for changes - a pain in the a*** if you don't get it right 1st time (and who will). However, if you want it done professionally I run a software development company ....

MY-TopEnder
26-06-2004, 09:16 AM
Sounds like theres a few people working on something for this.

The one we're working on is done in Filemaker and will have the option of installing onto a PDA. I'll be doing all the Graphic Interface for it...

TonyM
26-06-2004, 09:37 AM
I've had a chat with Nugget and we're going to start a thread soon requesting feedback from Club Fisho's as to what they'd like to see in a software application to manage the club and tournies.

We'll then go over the wish-list and make up a set of requirements for the finished software. All fishing clubs will be given license to use the software free of charge. :)

I won't get into the discussion about various development platforms as this is a complex topic and there are thousands of other forums dedicated to that discussion ;)

MY-TopEnder
26-06-2004, 09:59 AM
Good idea Tony, i'd been thinking the same thing about keeping the wishlist seperate of this poor blokes thread.

Is this wish list something that all developers can access?

TonyM
26-06-2004, 10:11 AM
It's an open discussion MY-Topender, so it should be shared - at least I have no problem with that.