PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Party

Robbo_Townsville
12-06-2004, 06:30 PM
I hope I have not wasted my hard earned cash by becoming a member of the Qld Fishing Party. Hoping at least one or two of you out there have done the same. Many voices make the bastards honest.

MY-TopEnder
12-06-2004, 06:45 PM
I haven't submitted my vote in the poll yet, but i do intend to join as a member and i'm prepared to help out in any way possible in the Southern Brisbane area.

Robbo_Townsville
12-06-2004, 06:54 PM
Onya Topender

kc
12-06-2004, 09:53 PM
Cheeky post Robbo!! While I won't name names as party membership is strictly confidential I will confirm that between a dozen and 20 Ausfish "chatters" are paid up members.
This is certainly not a lot considering the numbers of "ausfishers" out there but we are getting a lot of members joining through other sources, particularly the add we just placed in NQ Fish & Boat. We will have a similar add in July Qld Fishing Monthly.

I guess it all comes down to how much people value their sport! If they are basically happy with what is coming their way in terms of regulations then they have no reason to join, if they think another political organisation is prepared to go into bat for them, then also have no reason to join. If they think a political solution is not the answer, then likewise they have no reason to join.
If there is a better way of achieving a better outcome for recreational fishers in this state, then don't join....but for christs sake let me in on the secret because, quiet frankly, I would rather be out fishing in what little spare time I have than doin' all this sh$#% for a group who don't really seem to need it!

I wish there was another way. I wish that the political process, in a democracy, worked to the advantage of the 25%+ of us who like to go fishing! The only joy I have had with politicians in the last 12 months is when they start asking about preferences.
If they think, for one minute, that we are actually going to be a force next election and get a seriuos number of votes our barganing power at the preference table will be enourmous. But I have got to say (to use a pun)....the membership bones connected to the bank account (bone), the bank account connected to the campaign budget , the campaign budgets connected to the number of votes and the number of votes is the only thing that matters come preference deals time!! Get my drift.

Cheers Robbo (& no, you have not wasted your"hard earnd". It may just be the best $22 you ever spent)

KC

Cloud_9
13-06-2004, 02:47 AM
haven't joined yet but wife and my self are going to sign up, thats 2 more votes right!
$22.00 is not even beer money to some guys out there.
can it be used as tax deduction ;D ;D

Gazza
13-06-2004, 03:32 AM
http://www.freedomtofish.org/f2f/images/f2f_nozone.jpg

Cheech
13-06-2004, 07:54 AM
I just got my membership card in this mornings mail [smiley=laola.gif] so yes I am officially a member.

Hope the rest get going on joining up. Would be a shame to miss this serious go at trying to make our lot a better one.

Cheech

kc
13-06-2004, 09:59 AM
On ya' Cheech. Welcome aboard mate!! Now like the welcome letter said, go forth and multiply. Get 3 mates to join and send any issues ideas or just plain whinges in and we will see if we can develop a policy to help you out.

Regards

KC

SNELLY
13-06-2004, 12:41 PM
KC,

I have never been a supporter of the so called fringe party's.

But I can tell you that this whole RAP issue and the rest of the things that we are having to cop has changed my mind well and truely. Like we have 30+% of the reef closed to fisshing and it's not ever in place and GBRMPA have approves this dirty big floating hotel in the middle of a green zone.IT's JUST NOT ON

My membership will be on its way next week

UP THE AUSTRALIAN FISHING PARTY - KEEP UP THE GOOD HARD WORK KC

Snelly

Lucky_Phill
13-06-2004, 01:28 PM
Well Robbo and KC, I feel that the slowness of the membership from S/E Queensland will probably have more to do with the fact that we here are not as hard hit as you guys up north with the GBRMPA Green Zone disaster.

Having said that, The more info put up about the unfair restrictions and regs in place, just a few short hours drive north of Brisvegas, the more educated the S/E cnr will be, and therefore more sympathetic to the cause.

I too have had reservations about the " single Issue " parties, but, I too have had a good think about what preferences can do. What having the name in the Papers can do. Having the Name in the Media can do.

Shoot, now we need an ageing rock singer to spruik a little on our behalf........ maybe Angry Anderson ( he's passionate )! ;D

Phill

Robbo_Townsville
13-06-2004, 02:05 PM
Thanks guys, please spread the word down south.

kc
13-06-2004, 09:37 PM
We are kind of hopeful that the SE corner will supply the votes while NQ will supply the membership. If we get enough numbers up here to be able to get in the faces (or is that "hearts & minds")of the fishos "down there"we might actually get somewhere. Wouldn't it be ironic if the great PR sham of RAP is actually and ultimately the catalyst that gets rec fishos organised and voting as a block. The powers that be thinking they can stick to NQ because, after all, bugger all votes up there. What they fail to realise is that we are all brothers at arms. Wether you fish for barra, billfish or bream, we are all, deep down, just fishermen......& we happen to love what we do and just maybe, are finally prepared to fight to protect it!!

KC

Cheech
14-06-2004, 01:43 PM
We all now know the what,,, but just to let you know why for me,,,, A bit like lucky phill, I never dreamed I would ever vote for a single issue party,, let alone actually become a member of one. But just as passionately I at least try to believe that I stick up for those that are being hard done by, down trodden, or just plain screwed over. After seeing the closures to out local reefs (where I don't actually fish, but that's irrelevant. Actually that is the point of me giving the users my support) and that these can happen without our (the users) input,, and then what is happening up north. And even more dissapointing that they are then going ot plonk a resort in the middle of it all,,

For alliances, I voted once for labour, and in 27 years of voting, all the rest for liberal (bit odd for someone originally from a blue collar family, but anyway).

So will my next vote for one of the major partys actually make any difference next time round? Individually no, so they are unlikely to miss it. But to the fishing party to stop us or our fishing buddys getting done over,, priceless.

So what is it guys? An atempt to make a difference, or just another donkey vote?

Cheech

dasher
14-06-2004, 01:58 PM
I'm on the band wagon guys, just need some readies to send in with my app. Power to the party. ;D ;D

kc
14-06-2004, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the support guys. If we are ever going to make a difference it is here and now. Otherwise its dust of the golf clubs and sell the boat!! We are starting to reach the pount where we can go cap in hand to the major fishing corporations, the Diawa, Quintrex's and Shimanos of this country and raise some seriuos sponsorship. We are not only fighting for our sport, but their bloody business so hopefully, now that they can see we are seriuos and not just a "hobby" politcal party who knows!! I can tell you now, for sure, if get some seriuos bucks behind us we will scare the hell out of all side of politics. The absolute last thing they want is a sport, with the voting power of rec fishing, organised and politcally active. Just look at what the NRA achieves (politcally) in America.

Keep spreading the word, get your mates to join, talk to your local tackle shops, fishing clubs and even just guys at the ramp. The fishermans grape vine works like magic when the prawns are running or the tailor are on the chew. We are relying on it working for the fishing party (Qld).

For what it's worth I am not a fan of single issue parties either but no one else wanted to listen. We now prefer to say we are "focused", not single issue.....and lets face it, throw in recreational sports generally, envronmental issues (which greatly effect our fisheries), national park access issues as well as rec fishing, commercial fishing and a political party which potentially can have a positive impact on the 25% of the entire population who go fishing, and we are really not single issue at all!!

Regards

KC

SNELLY
16-06-2004, 10:45 AM
OK

Paid my membership today so I have now changed my vote to yes

and we all want everyone out there to change their vote as well to -

THE FISHING PARTY

Snelly

bidkev
16-06-2004, 12:23 PM
Will join just as soon as I pick up the add.....or is there another way?

After years of being a union branch official and member of various (UK) fishing clubs, I swore that I wasn't going to fight other people's battles, or get involved in "politics" again.

This is one battle I can't ignore. I've seen some stupid stuff here with regards to fishing, albeit nothing like the Briitish Government buying up the trawlermens boats and tickets and then letting the Spanish and French fish UK waters....not the same as recreational fishing I know, but you get my drift.

The bloody Deepwater Bend boat ramp is a typical example of gross stupidity and waste of tax payers dollars.....spending mega bucks on a single ramp with no beach and only rocks at the side of it, and then, just to tart it up even more, they stick a bloody big pontoon there! For what?.....If you're a lone fisho how the F**k can you tie your boat up at the pontoon, go and get your trailer, back it down the ramp, leave it there and then piss off back into your boat to attempt to then drive it onto the trailer, whilst all the time the zillions of other fishos are screaming for you to get a move on and then you realise some tosser has nicked your rods whilst you were getting your car?......and the councils answer to the lobby that asks 'em to shift the rocks and put a beach there?.... "No can do but we'll put *another* pontoon there"...the mind boggles.

If a fishos lobby can kick arse at State or National level, then perhaps the local bureacracies may get there bloody act together also.

All power to it......I for one am a goer

cheers

kev.......having a pommie whinge

Mad_Barry
16-06-2004, 01:21 PM
KC,

A couple of questions,

How does the fishing party fit in with the likes of Sunfish, Sunfish NQ, or the REACT group ? , particulary in regard to the fundraising, and support for the (possible) legal challenge against GRUMPA over the (c)RAP.

Not being a member of these groups or local clubs, It gets a little clouded up here at times (Townsville) in sorting out just who is who, and which canoe they are paddling.

Can you give us some info, outling the structure & "committee" members currently invloved, particulalry the northern region ?

Also, if there are ties to these groups, have you had any feedback from the "delegates" who were at the GRUMPA celebratory cocktail evening out at AIMS last week ?

If you've covered any of these in your past post's, then just point me in the right direction,

Thanks,

Dicko

kc
16-06-2004, 01:25 PM
Hi Kingpin,

Just ping me an email....kc@whitsunday.net.au and I will send you the forms. I know pommies are tight but NQ Fish & Boat is a bloody good read at $3.50!!

Be good to have you on board. We are already starting to make a difference because the pollies are starting to get nervous about the potential voting block of rec fishers who really have had enough of what has been getting dished out for the last few years.

I have just this minute got off the phone ater having a long talk to a current federal senator......what a bloody change...them actually ringing US and asking OUR opinion.
If this whole exercise achieves nothing else it has at least got them listening.

Look forward to having you aboard.

Regards

KC

SeaHunt
16-06-2004, 01:36 PM
Sent you an email KC, I don't think you guys are getting enough exposure down here.
Personally I would like to see a notice about the Fishing party on every Tackle and bait store window in South East Queensland. If you have something available , I would be prepared to go around to a lot of them and ask, good excuse to buy more gear. ;D

kc
16-06-2004, 01:57 PM
Hi Dicko,

Good question(s). We absolutely support Sunfish but see their role as the "fun stuff", educating kids, restocking programs, boat ramp design and placement that kind of stuff. They are however apolitical (& shoudl be). We on the other hand don't really give a hoot who we upset. As to REACT they are a very highly motivated group but a "one trick pony". They are about putting pressure on GBRMPA through the courts and they are welcome to do so. On the other hand we are about a broader range of fishing and environmental issue. We kind of think RAP is here to stay but have a very seriuos plan to modify it, either through direct involvement in parliment (if we get up) or at the preference deal time. The cornerstone of our RAP policies are for split reefs and one out all out of green zones. We think it is pointless just excluding fishers while letting all the other uses continue unchecked and for a whole heap of very sound reasons split reefs are the way to go. Keeps everyone happy, particularly if the green zones are on the exposed weather sides and fishing in the lees. We will be posting a detailed policy on this later in the week for comment.

As to funds, we are competing to some degree but the available funds are enourmous. There are 850,000 rec fishos in Qld (at least) and $380M spent each year. Now that we are up and running, have seriuos member numbers and are getting some high profile media attention we have started seeking major corporate sponsorship. If we get the bucks we will enter the SE corner like a cyclone. At present we have been active mainly in NQ because we have been so done over by GBRMPA.

As to who is involved in on our state exec.in NQ. Brian Pickup in Townsville, Alex Witten in cairns, Dave Donald on Cape York.

Beyond this we now have some very high profile rec fishers like John Mondora as members of the party.

If you want a full run down but a June NQ Fish & Boat or visit www.thefishingparty.info

Hope this all helps

Regads

KC

Robbo_Townsville
17-06-2004, 06:38 PM
Go the Maroons Fishing Party.

Just wanted to get an important subject back up the top of the chat board.

bidkev
18-06-2004, 04:15 AM
Hi Kingpin,

Just ping me an email....kc@whitsunday.net.au and I will send you the forms. I know pommies are tight but NQ Fish & Boat is a bloody good read at $3.50!!

KC

The deckie caught me smoking and stopped me pocket money for a month :-)

blaze
18-06-2004, 06:14 PM
been there and done that, the wrath of the boss, its not the pocket money thats the problem
cheers
blaze

Robbo_Townsville
28-06-2004, 03:57 PM
I thought it might be a good idea to re-visit the poll after the recent airns meeting.