PDA

View Full Version : RECIPIE FOR TUNA STEAKS

flytime
28-06-2004, 11:16 AM
Hi All,
Does anybody have any good marinades or recipies for tuna steaks on the barbie or raw ?
Thanks Steve :)

imported_admin
28-06-2004, 11:36 AM
If it is Yellow Fin I wouldn't bother cooking it, just dip it in Soy Sauce that has a bit of Wasabi in it.

You could try Yellowfin Tuna Aloha - Recipe in the recipe section of the site http://www.ausfish.com.au/recipes/index.htm

basserman
28-06-2004, 11:52 AM
cut the tuna in to steaks of about 3cm thick and marinate in a mix of BBQ sauce a splash of soy a oinion some crushed garlic and grated ginger and a swig of lemon juice leave coverd for a hour or more then cook on a meduim to hot heat for a minute on each side and as rex would say 'Thank your mother for the rabbits' ;D

Maria
28-06-2004, 11:55 AM
I assume it's yellowfin we're talking about here. As Steve said, I don't bother cooking mine. If it does get cooked, it's only very lightly on the bbq.

I usually slice it diagonally downwards in extremely thin strips and then soak them in a strong mixture of soy sauce with wasabi stirred in. I like a lot of wasabi in it, as it really adds some twang to the meat. They're left in the fridge for a few hours, depending on strength of the soy/wasabi, and then either laid out with a side salad or sliced into lengths and rolled in rice and nori (seaweed) with avacado to make sushi.

I find that if you cook a steak whole, it will dry out really badly and ruin its eating quality. Like most fish, they're best eaten as fresh as possible too.

Hope this helps.

Ben

kc
28-06-2004, 01:06 PM
Don't knock longtail. It actually "cooks" better than yellowfin. The best fish meals we have at Weipa are tuna. Get rid of the bloodline, cut it into 1cm thick slices, straight on the bbq with some good olive oil and cook it quick. If you think you haven't cooked it long enough, you have probabely overcooked it. Bit of salt & pepper, a coldd 4X gold or even better a few rum & cokes (bundy of course) and this is as close as you will get to fish eating heaven.

KC

Robbo_Townsville
28-06-2004, 01:20 PM
Sound like a treat KC

jaybee
28-06-2004, 02:09 PM
basserman
cut the tuna in to steaks after u do that take the eye out of the steak. soy is good, i prefer a mix of lemon, lime, cracked pepper and salt. doesnt matter what brand of tuna it all makes good jerky as well. hope this helps
cheers
Joe.
Ps i know Lucky phil, yuk.

GES
28-06-2004, 05:26 PM
Try smoking (kippering) them !
Like KC said, get rid of the bloodline ( It makes good bait or burley).
Slice the good meat into steaks and then make a mixture of 2 tablespoons of salt, 1 tablespoon of brown sugar mixed into about half a litre or so of tap water in a flat dish. Make sure the salt and sugar are disolved, then marinate the fish in the mixture for an hour or so (to taste).
Now, you need to use one of those kipper boxes.
Take the fish out of the brine marinade and pat them dry on a towel . Put sawdust in the box, the fish on the racks provided inside the box, the lid on the kipper box and lite up the little motho burner provided and slide it under the box (like, on the concrete because it will burn anything that is flamable).
In about 20 minutes you will have the best smoked fish you ever tasted.
Other "oily" fish like tailor, mackerel, even the old mullet tastes extra good done this way.

GES

flytime
29-06-2004, 01:48 AM
Thanks guy's for all your responses so far. It is longtail tuna steaks that i'm asking about.The yellow fin don't come on around close in here till dec-jan.
Thanks Steve :)

Mudcrab
29-06-2004, 05:54 AM
This is one of the best recipes for all tuna, including long tailed..............
1. Remove skin after filleting
2. Debone each fillet
3. Cover fillet with tea towel and gently pound with a meat
tenderizing hammer or rolling pin
4. Slice fillet crosswise into slabs about 1" wide
5. Arrange say three such slabs onto a serving plate
6. Feed to cat!!!