PDA

View Full Version : Loans tipped for coral reef fishers to buy extra q

jaybee
02-07-2004, 04:48 PM
Queensland's seafood industry believes fishermen will be able to borrow money from the State Government under the coral reef fin fish management plan.

The Government is expected to announce loans of up to $300,000 for commercial fishermen to buy extra quota under the plan that comes into effect today.

Industry spokesman John Olsen says borrowed money means more debt, but the funding is still welcome.

"It has always been available to other primary industries, but not to commercial fishing," he said.

"Now, I think what he has done here is made a special case.

"It is not simply a pipedream, it is a special amount of money that is going to be made available, I do not know the details of that yet."

Meanwhile, Mr Olsen has further criticised the new management plan for coral reef fin fish.

He says commercial fishers must use their available quota to feed their families with coral reef fish.

Fishers who have run out of quota can take home a feed within the recreational bag limit.

But he objects to the rule that those with available quota cannot without it being counted in the catch.

"They are afraid that somebody might cheat by a kilo and throw the whole world into chaos," he said.

"It is a move of absolute madness and stupidity, it needs to be corrected and at this point it is not corrected."

A spokesman for Fisheries Minister Henry Palaszczuk says the integrity of the quota system for the coral reef fin fishery would be undermined if fishermen could take home packs of fish caught commercially.

Last Update: Wednesday, June 30, 2004. 10:39am (AEST)

Gazza
03-07-2004, 03:04 AM
Hey Henry , what happens if the "live trout" guys find a few dead ones floating in their live tanks ??? ........ chuck em overboard ::) I suppose. :'(

You are correct in not allowing sale of fish outside normal practices , but are you going to ACCUSE Comms. of stealing from themselves? for their immediate family ,in baglimit quantities.

p.s. watch those eggshells ;)