PDA

View Full Version : Qld Govt rejects criticism over fisheries assistan

jaybee
06-07-2004, 04:13 AM
ABC News
Last Update: Sunday, July 4, 2004. 3:50pm (AEST)
The Federal Government has accused the Queensland Government of avoiding its responsibility to help professional anglers who are affected by new fishing restrictions on the Great Barrier Reef.

National Party Senator Ron Boswell says the Commonwealth has recognised the impact of federal restrictions, and has offered an uncapped assistance package.

He says Queensland has only put up a difficult-to-access loan scheme for anglers affected by state laws.

"They are slipping the net, and Peter Beattie has to do what is right and compensate the fishermen," he said.

"He is a great person for talk, but he's very reluctant to put his money up.

"We federally have a responsibility and we've acknowledged it. He has a responsibility, and he must also acknowledge that."

The Queensland Government has rejected the criticism of its assistance package for professional anglers with Primary Industries Minister Henry Palaszczuk saying there is no comparison

"In Queensland under our legislation there is no need for compensation because the fishery is not being closed down.

"It's a little bit different to what the Commonwealth Government is doing with their green zones, they're actually closing down large tracts of areas where commercial fishers are allowed to fish," he said.

megafish71
06-07-2004, 05:03 AM
Why should the pro's be compensated, they have had it too good for too long and most are not concerned about the sustainability of the fishery. Nobody is compensating any rec fishos for taking away a large chunk of thier fishing spots. I think its about time more commercial opperators started to look at aquaculture to supply the puplic with seafood and perhaps this is where the government should be directing the available funds. Just my thoughts, but am just sick and tied of hearing about pro fishos that think their so hard done by and how the government (tax payers) must pay for compensation. I spose the old saying " the sweaky wheel will get the oil" certainly applies here.

Ron

Dr_Dan
06-07-2004, 05:56 AM
I know its your own opinion megafish, but have to disagree. You can't forget that this is their job, and by losing so much of their available fishing area, a lot will also lose their job. Many have been in the industry since school, and have no other jobs available to them. SO they are now no longer able to bring any money in. Don't get me wrong, as a rec fisho, i'm pissed at how much of the local waterways have been designated green zones, but i do think that the pros need to be compensated.

Definately agree with you that aquaculture is the way to go.

Kerry
06-07-2004, 08:19 AM
Well megafish71 I'll have to disagree as well but on BOTH counts.

Again the prattle with regards acquaculture is put forward but without due regards to the actual affects of acquaculture on both the land and the sea.

As for the commercial aspects then really the lies and misinformation from GBRMPA simply continues on the impacts of these closures.

A recent independent panel appointed by the Federal Government has found GBRMPA to have grossly underestimated the closure impacts and in fact will have a massive impact on thre commercial industry due to "incompetence and poorly planned closures".

This incompetence and poor planning has appeared to now result in the governments open cheque approach to compensation as basically what they (the government) are saying is they got it wrong.

Cheers, Kerry.

megafish71
06-07-2004, 09:31 AM
I think some of you are missing the point. What I am saying is that perhaps the government should be looking for long term solutions to this situation, and not just throwing money at the pro fisherman trying to keep them happy just before an election. Common sense should say that a long term solution is what all parties want. But this is just my point of view, just appears that if a primary producer of any sort ( fisherman, cane farmer,tobacco grower,banana farmer etc) and things don't turn out to be profitable than the government is required to compensate for the hardship ( at a considerable cost to the tax payer ) Never does the government look at long term solutions to the problems. Just as you said Kerry incompetence and poor planning by the government, yet again.
Ron

lordy
07-07-2004, 06:25 AM
I think some of you are missing the point. What I am saying is that perhaps the government should be looking for long term solutions to this situation, and not just throwing money at the pro fisherman trying to keep them happy just before an election. Common sense should say that a long term solution is what all parties want. But this is just my point of view, just appears that if a primary producer of any sort ( fisherman, cane farmer,tobacco grower,banana farmer etc) and things don't turn out to be profitable than the government is required to compensate for the hardship ( at a considerable cost to the tax payer ) Never does the government look at long term solutions to the problems. Just as you said Kerry incompetence and poor planning by the government, yet again.
Ron

I disagree. If the government acts taking away the chance to make your living they should compensate in a lot of cases. The pros have been doing their thing with the blessing of the government for years, they've bought equipment, setup their live style, moved to areas all because they were told they could and should be there. I've got no problem with that.

Likewise the government should be taking back water rights in the Murray Darling and in doing so it should be paying large compensation, after all it sold the rights in the 1st place.

Milk, another good case. Deregulation would have sent a lot of Qld dairy farmers under, so what benefit would there to be Qld to do this? No Qld government would have been popular if they didn't fight for at least some compensation for their farmers. I haven't noticed any cheaper milk and bunch of people had to give up their businesses for nothing.

Its not just primary producers either, governments of both sides has been coughing up money for industry too.

How much money was Mitsubishi being offered to stay in Adelaide?

Restructuring and training packages for ex-BHP employees?

Ansett employees getting paid via an additional ticket levy?

The average citizen gets current market value for his house when the government resumes it, irrespective of what it actually cost him.

The list goes on.

When you look at come of these industries, they are one of the dominant money earners for the region. To just take that away could be to cause a complete collapse of a local economy. This is particularly true of primary producers, tourism and manufacturers which are the cornerstone every other occupation relies on for its work. If they leave a community then it can't generate any wealth, the shops close, the accountants, doctors, plumbers, and every other hanger on is out of work.