PDA

View Full Version : LOOKING FOR MAC TUNAS

mactuna
01-07-2004, 07:15 AM
I'm tring to catch mac tunas in southern moreton bay... but having lots of trouble! Caught 4 in April off Amity but nothing since. Did a run up to 4 beacons last couple of days but saw nothing. I need them for my honours project at the University of Queensland - I'm investigating their eyes.

Has anyone caught any lately? PLEASE HELP!

MTpockets
01-07-2004, 07:19 AM
I cant help you but check back often, as quite a lot of the members do catch a lot. You will get some good posts, I promise.
cheers
Les

cHiCo
01-07-2004, 07:25 AM
Theres a bloke by the name of Jeffo who hails from here....pretty sure he knows how to catch the macs ;)

Chrisso
01-07-2004, 07:26 AM
Check your pm's too. :)

Zeeke
01-07-2004, 07:36 AM
Sunshine Coast... Mooloolaba is a fair distance from Southern Moreton Bay... but i did see tuna busting up last week..

Tim

Billo
01-07-2004, 08:38 AM
yeh mate , not the best time of year for tuna in the bay .,...water temps bottomed out back in May and they have moved out of the bay .
There still can be some found here and there , but it will be all too hard to pinpoint as they are not on the surface .

There are still good numbers holding up outside though ...try around Shag rock and the reefs around point look out in the south ( we probably caught around 15 two weeks back half way between point look out and Flat rock , average size around 6kilo ) ...in the north , you can find them off Bribie island in the channels , and in good numbers off Cape Moreton ( caught about 10 last monday averaging around 4-5 kg )

They haven't been busting up the surface much in the south , although they are apparently still working baitfish off the sunshine coast , as they go a bit quiet with the lower water temps ..most we have caught over the last month have been on trolled minnows around the reefy outcrops...makes it a little harder to find........but if you're willing to wait a while , September should see them move back into the bay and start working the surface in larger pods .

Biggest schools we have come across over the last fortnight have been around Smith Rock to Flinders reef up off the Cape .

hope this helps ...

Sportfish_5
01-07-2004, 01:45 PM
Mac - Best bet at the moment is to try in close on the eastern side of Bribie Island in the early morning or late arvo. Still a few schools hanging around and there are some big bastards amongst them so look for the seagulls. Need to head up about half way up the island and beyond. Good Luck as they tend to be very flighty at the moment.

Cheers

Greg

DaneCross
01-07-2004, 03:01 PM
Travelled between Manly and the top end of Moreton - No toonas out there today :-/

mactuna
01-07-2004, 04:39 PM
Thanks heaps for the info! #Sounds like a few of you are catching the troublesome mac tuna #:D #

If anyone catches some mac tuna in the next couple of weeks I would really like to get the eyes from the fish. #Maybe I could swap the eyes for somer beers? #Would there be much interest?

mackmauler
01-07-2004, 05:47 PM
fish. #Maybe I could swap the eyes for somer beers?

mactuna, i need 3 cartons in a couple weeks, how many eyes do you need?

cHiCo
01-07-2004, 05:59 PM
aahahhaahhaahhahahahahahaahhahahahahhaha rob...

bigbrian47
01-07-2004, 06:06 PM
one time a uni student asked me at manly ramp how important dugong etc were in moreton bay she said the info was for her project at uni @ nothing to do with anything official
wasn't too many years after speed restrictions @ exclusion zones were in force "maybe a coincidence"
cheers brian

michael_Brewer
01-07-2004, 06:08 PM
was actually gonna joke about giving you the eyes off the mack tuna I have here... :-X
I've got 4 eyes here you are more than welcome to.... and if you search through ausfish you will find another 4 eyes, he answers to the name jack!!! :o :-X

Maria
01-07-2004, 06:43 PM
Me thinks Rob needs three cartons for the same trip I need a few cartons for - I see potential for a joint-venture operation here. Lol

What are you studying about their eyes mate?

Ben

mactuna
01-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Seriously... if that is possible...

I need 10 mac tunas that are preferably alive but otherwise as soon as possible after they are killed (3-5 hours as long as they are kept cool). #I can pick them up from any boat ramp Sunshine to Gold Coast.

My study is to find out how these fish see the world. #It involves how and what they see - their feeding behaviour.

If you are interested in helping or more info about my project please PM me... #

Billo
02-07-2004, 06:09 AM
Quote " My study is to find out how these fish see the world. It involves how and what they see - their feeding behaviour "

They see EVERYTHING !

could be a bit hard for people to get back to you that quickly with a pm mate ...maybe to those that have said they may and could assist ( including myself as i am heading out this weekend again ...PM your mobile number so we can buzz you on the way back into the ramp ???

mackmauler
02-07-2004, 07:42 AM
beer for tuna has a ring to it :o

mactuna
02-07-2004, 08:17 AM
I can't PM anyone yet because I'm a new member... so if you wanna help please PM or email (k.mcpherson@uq.edu.au) me.

Sportfish_5
02-07-2004, 08:21 AM
Mack Tuna = Bait + Beer ;D ;D ;D

I like it ;)

ba229
02-07-2004, 09:11 AM
Well come on guys. How long till you offer to take some pretty young ladies out for a fishing trip? :D

JB
02-07-2004, 10:15 AM
heading to the tweed early sat morn, will email you when i get some :P there are plenty down there and i shouldnt have a problem trollin a few up. (only after i catch some decent fish early!! )

Any special instructions i need on keeping them? and can i swap bourbon for beer ;)

mactuna
02-07-2004, 11:20 AM
Hey JB. #Yes you can swap beer for bourbon! #I have sent you an email with details. #Cheers!

jeffo
02-07-2004, 03:44 PM
fukn mac tuna >:( ::) ;D

havent seen many for a while working on the surface... a few XOS ones have been taken live baiting out a little wider...bait stealing vermin.

Burley_Boy
06-07-2004, 08:45 AM
Was out the Gold Coast seaway on Saturday 03/07/04 coming back from the 24's around 1pm and in about 30M of water I decided to toss a lure out. I was probably running at about 10-12knots and in a few minutes the reel goes off. Small Mac Tuna about 2kg was in the boat soon after, tossed the lure in again and in another few minutes the reel goes off again with another one on the hook. same size. Didn't have your number so I though of you but they were eaten that night as sashimi with wasabi and soy and pickled ginger, yum!

CHRIS_aka_GWH
06-07-2004, 01:10 PM
letmegetthisstraight ...

pretty girls,
asking us to go fishing,
offering to give us booze for the fish ....

pinch me someone. :o

[smiley=idea.gif]Now ... if I cut this tailor's tail like this .... & stick these bits on like .... duhhh ???

damn you bay boys - no-one wants a stinky surf-rat. [smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif]

MTpockets
06-07-2004, 01:18 PM
Chris I hear ya buddy, I hear ya....
If I was only 20 years younger.... ::) ??? :o 8)

mactuna
07-07-2004, 02:33 PM
I have been asked if I'm here just for my study or if I really like fishing... I have attached a photo of a recent fishing trip to Hawaii. Have lots more but having trouble getting them down to 100K and still being able to see what they are :-/ Hopefully you can see this pic. Any suggestions on getting them down in size ???

CHRIS_aka_GWH
07-07-2004, 02:47 PM
ms tuna,

see the chatboards help & info section at the very bottom of the main menu - steve has answerered just about every question imaginable other than how mac tuna see :D

basically increase the pic size but drop the res to a medium quality

chris

mactuna
07-07-2004, 04:49 PM
Thanks for that Chris :D Have attached a couple of pics from fishing (and diving) trip to Lord Howe last December :D

mactuna
07-07-2004, 04:52 PM
and another...

straddie
07-07-2004, 04:53 PM
Just went searching in the deepest darkest dungeons of my old retired computer to see what the old freeware I used to use for graphics cropping/resizing and found it was Irfanview. A powerful little proggy free of scumware with some great tweaks.

Then took a look to see what was suggested here on Ausfish ...... Irfanview ::) ....... ummm seconds the recommend.

mactuna
07-07-2004, 05:03 PM
and last one for today... a small wahoo, but a wahoo none the less and atleast I pulled it in myself... it actually put up quiet a fight :D

Bye for now, miss tuna

CHRIS_aka_GWH
08-07-2004, 01:21 AM
miss tuna,

are you doing your study via the research station at One Mile on straddie ?

mactuna
08-07-2004, 09:26 AM
Yep working from the research station at Dunwich and we put the boat in at One Mile. Why do you ask?