PDA

View Full Version : HANDY HINTS or DID YOU KNOW

webby
06-07-2004, 04:43 PM
For something different, i though a Handy Hints or Did you Know topic.
Just add to the list, never no what you may pick up.
Anyway here's a few to start off with.
H.H.
When a reel is not being used, always slack off the drag completely, sticky drags have cost many a fisho a good fish, and leaving the drag tight when rods are stow, is a sure way for this to start happening.
A regular service of the drag washers with either teflon grease or graphite powder will ensure that they continue to operate smoothly.

Did you Know.
That a flatheads gill rake is covered in a mucus which is both toxin and anti-colaguent.
An old wives tale, is that if you rub some of the belly slime on the wound it will releive the pain. Believe it or not.

Did you Know.
The age of fish can be calculated by a build-up of calcium salts evident in their innner ear, fin spines, vertebrae and other bones. Counting the annuli, or rings of calcium, is considered a good guide ot how old a fish is. Generally one ring represents a year, however in very young fish, a daily rate can sometimes be assessed.

Handy Hints.
Avoid casting a bait into the bend on a sandbar, but try to cast to the down stream end where the force of the curent forms a backwater. This is where baitfish are swept down to, and where larger predators lie in wait.

Handy Hints.
When keeping live bait in a tank, make sure if you are using different varieties that they are compatible. For eg slimies and yakkas do not mix well in a tank, yakkas are a hardy fish, but slimeys are highly strung and will die if thee are too many yakkas placed in the tank with them,
The colour of the tank also has a effect on them, colour such as white or black have little effect on most bait, but if your tanks is brighly coloured, you may find your fish suddenly swimming around belly up.

Theres a few so add yours to the list, never no it may help some one out.
regards

Big_Kev
07-07-2004, 03:26 AM
I never knew that about Slimies and Yakkas Webby. Thanks.

NQCairns
07-07-2004, 04:13 AM
Tip: Acylic floor wax is a quality and cheap alternative to Marine acrylic wax for shining and protecting your gel coat.

Tip: Use frozen 2litre Coke bottles instead of bought ice
for all you cooling needs, lasts, is less messy and works better lb for lb. Good for a cool drink as well.

Hint:Use a small amount of clove oil in your live tank (with the system closed) to help stock differing species or to overstock a tank. Warning takes some trial and error to get proficient.

Hint: Dip any bait,lure etc in aniseed oil and your catch rate will improve also add to burley (oldie but a goodie).

NB. check your local regulations before using aniseed or clove oil.

stu68
07-07-2004, 04:42 AM
Never mix your whites with your colours then you do the washing.
I was just trying to help out a bit more around the house. ??? ???
You no score some browney points ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

MTpockets
07-07-2004, 05:45 AM
Old fishermans advice
When the tide is high, bream and other schooling fish scatter anywhere.
When the tide is low, they will head for deep water. Thats why they bite either side of the tide. A very old fisherman told me that many years ago, and I am yet to prove him wrong.
cheers
Les

baldyhead
07-07-2004, 07:08 AM
TIP 1; fill empty space in your ice box with plenty of bubble pack or even a couple of spud bags placed on top of a single piece of bubble pack,placed on top of the contents. You are then not trying to cool all that empty space! I do this all the time and my ice lasts 3times as long especially on a long trip.
TIP 2: put plenty of broken ice into your kill box and add a couple of buckets of sea water in and when u catch and spike & bleed fish put into your brine and you can definitely taste the difference. I usually spike & cut gill raker then put fish straight in, transferring the fish to the ice box for journey home & tipping used brine overboard.

Baldy 217TFP

bugman
07-07-2004, 09:56 AM
Tip:

Never trust anyone called Peter from Fisheries who calls your home and says you've broken the regulations regarding green zones at Flat Rock and upsets your misses [smiley=angryfire.gif]

Gazza
07-07-2004, 10:07 AM
Tip: Muddies..........twist off one of the bottom segments of the normal crableg and push into the closed(use fingers) crabclaw top joint.
(right 'size' for itself automatically)

Now can't 'bite' you or any crab 'fights' damage...... ;)

Hint: use same for getting crabmeat out of body segments, no waste!!

Now I'm hungry, will somebody please get me a beer and a crabclaw......NOW ;D :D :D :D

Sportfish_5
07-07-2004, 11:10 AM
Bugman - What happened regarding Fisheries ????

Greg

Brissyguy
07-07-2004, 11:27 AM
I will be out of the office starting #05/07/2004 and will not return until
26/07/2004.

I will be on annual leave commencing Monday 5th July and will return to
work on Monday 26th July.

Take holidays more often ......

Greg are you going to Fiji for PPA conference ???

Cheers,
# # # # Rich.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
07-07-2004, 12:20 PM
if you want to keep a tailor whole but kill it so you can lie it flat & retain the blood in its flesh squeeze up on the bridge at the base of the gills until you see the mouth pop open slightly.

Drop_Bear
07-07-2004, 01:20 PM
ok not a tip but a question, if you spray lanolin onto lures and hooks to prevent them from rusting, do fish hate the smell? Is there a better alternative?

SeaHunt
07-07-2004, 01:36 PM
Chris , why do you want to keep the blood in the tailor?

peterbo3
07-07-2004, 01:47 PM
DB,
Cooking oil in the spray cans is great for keeping the rust out of hooks, lures, etc. No residual smell or mess. Lasts a long time too.

mick
07-07-2004, 01:52 PM
Dont piss into the wind.

Seasick = Burley

If you Bring Your Misses She'll Winge

Keep Hooks Out Of Your Fingers

Being Pre-occupied Will Make The Fish Bite

A synthetic pillow soaked in quick drying Epoxy is excelent for making emergency on water repairs to a glass hull.

The moister absorbant pouch from some food products can be reused in places like tackle boxes during storage

put your money on the blues because the canetoads dont have a chance

In deep water, The stretch and bow in your line can make setting a hook impossible. #try using an oversized, fixed sinker below your hook. #The weight of the sinker will set the hook for you.

chow

easyrider525
07-07-2004, 01:54 PM
try using tuna oil on your hooks and lures. lasts just as long and has the added benefit that fish like the taste

craigie
07-07-2004, 01:56 PM
Brett,

Would "Peter from Fisheries" own a white Riptide with a new Donk ??? or was it the ex. Deputy Director General of Fisheries as his name was Peter as well ???

My Fishing tip is, Don't target Snapper !!! It'll F#@ken destroy you :P :'( ;D!!!

My next tip is to alleviate the pain this causes. On those cold nights out on the Brinney waiting for "Old Man Snapper", shelter into a corner of your boat and find yourself a small waterproof container, one third fill with Ice, add a couple of monster splashes of "Bundy's finest", then round off with a serving of Coke till the container is full. Yep, all part of a "Moreton Bay" survival kit ;D
(I don't condone excessive drinking at sea, but there are times when preventative measures need to be taken against hyperthermia ;D ;D)

Cheers
Craig.

PinHead
07-07-2004, 02:32 PM
" TIP
Just to add a little about ice. If you add a little table salt to the ice cubes / water it will freeze 30% faster."

I hate to say it but this one will not work. The addition of salt creates a saline solution which has a lower freezing temp than plain old water hence it will take longer to freeze.

Barrymundi
07-07-2004, 03:38 PM
Spray bottle with fresh water on boat for cleaning sunglasses and sounder screen

Clear Safety glasses for night time travelling to stop the wind from drying out the eyes.

Spud Sacks - I lay them on the back of the boat to help protect the gelcoat from sinkers and general mess. Just drop them in the kill tank with clean water on the way home for cleaning. Good to cover ice in esky on the way out or to put fish in.

Polishing the gelcoat regularly makes it easier to clean.

Always back Queensland.........

Al

CHRIS_aka_GWH
07-07-2004, 03:42 PM
Chris , why do you want to keep the blood in the tailor?

tailor are not only a decent table fish but also one of the important bait fish species responsible for the movement of many pelagic species up our coastline.

A well preserved tailor makes an excellent trolling bait, fresh fillets make excellent jew & reef baits. If you bleed them you lose a lot of the natural scent. If you allow then to live & thrash around they'll bruise & soften themselves & usually end up dying in a curved position. Popping the neck, then lay them out, you get a perfect bait.

I was shown it last year at the straddie classic - it is instant death - its remarkable they just.... stop!

chris

philip_thomson
07-07-2004, 03:58 PM
i know that when using the "antidote" on the flatheads belly does work. i use it all the time when i get spiked and there is a difference in healing time and the pain between using the antidote and note using it.

handy hint: avoid eating 1kg of plums before going offshore it casues sea sickness

handy hint: don;t get fish bait on people bait it also causes sea sickness

handy hint: the best cure for sea sickness is to find a hot girl on the beach and concentrate on her ;D

so that is why my white school shirt is now light blue with a bit of pink and green becasue the colours and whites were put together ill remember that

cheers philip

Captian_Zero
07-07-2004, 04:17 PM
Never eat yellow snow ;D

el_carpo
08-07-2004, 12:49 AM
I put a strip of tape on the rod at size limit marks for local fish species. For example, bass must be 14 inches to keep (here) so I measure out 14 inches from the rod handle and place a piece of tape at 14 inches. It's a fast way to tell if your fish is legal or not. Just hold it up to your measurment marks. By the way, I don't keep bass unless they're gut hooked and will die anyway. Catch and release almost exclusively.

One more note. I know it was only a joke about the booze warming you up, but seriously, that is the worst thing you can do. Alchohol thins your blood and the cold will freeze your skin and innards MUCH quicker. I'd stick to hot coffee, chocolate or tea. Trust me, I know all about cold weather here. It is not uncommon for it to reach minus 20 degrees F with wind chill factors in the winter here. Drinking is a HUGE no-no in icy conditions. Dress in layers, it can save your life.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
08-07-2004, 01:12 AM
while on the subject of cold - head & neck coverage will do more to preserve body warmth than a third layer on the chest.

I use a neck sock on the beach in winter - its like a beanie with no top, Teamed with a beanie you have an adjustable balaclava.

another hint

NEVER EVER tell your wife the truth when she asks if those jeans make her arse look fat ! Just run & don't turn back - there is no satisfactory answer.

PinHead
08-07-2004, 01:44 AM
"NEVER EVER tell your wife the truth when she asks if those jeans make her arse look fat ! Just run & don't turn back - there is no satisfactory answer."

LOL...I asked my wife where the "WIDE LOAD" sign was once...won't do that again in a hurry...it was not a pretty sight.

Mudcrab
08-07-2004, 04:09 AM
It has been scientifically proven that adding fresh (not salt) water to your party ice in a 2:1 ratio significently increases the cooling effect on the contents and will last about 25% longer than ice by itself. The "slurry" is better as it covers all of the fish, tinnies etc. rather than them sitting on top of ordinary ice. The best I have done so far with tinnies in an esky after a Barbie is seven days and still a touch of ice still showing.

Underneath a flathead near the top of the ribcage is an obvious "dent" in the belly. Once you get him on his back, press your knuckle firmly into this dent for about ten seconds. The flattie promptly goes to sleep allowing you time to dehook him without getting stabbed. Actually getting him to cooperate and lie on his back is another problem...............

Cover your hooks in baby powder. It absorbs moisture and keeps them nice and clean.

If your prop is "cupped" or "super cupped" for added performance, it should be redone every couple of years as the slight twist on the leading edge flattens out after prolonged use. Even S/S ones lose this feature eventually.

A 10:1 mixture of kerosine and engine oil in a spray bottle provides an excellent and long lasting rust preventitive when liberally sprayed all over the powerhead and accessories of your outboard motor. A kept an old Merc Blueband 115 hp totally rust free in the tropics of PNG for 13 years using this mix.

Donating $50 to VMR Victoria Point gives you a warm feeling all over!

MTpockets
08-07-2004, 05:51 AM
" TIP
Just to add a little about ice. If you add a little table salt to the ice cubes / water it will freeze 30% faster."

I hate to say it but this one will not work. The addition of salt creates a saline solution which has a lower freezing temp than plain old water hence it will take longer to freeze.

I learned this on Totally Wild on TV. What you are saying makes sense, so what are these people teaching kids then??
Dont answer that, it may make sense and I could end up understanding my kids...... nup, that wont happen :)
cheers
Les

Maria
08-07-2004, 05:54 AM
NEVER EVER tell your wife the truth when she asks if those jeans make her arse look fat ! Just run & don't turn back - there is no satisfactory answer.

Nah....when she asks if the jeans make her ass look fat, tell it's the mud cake, chocolates, sweets etc that do it - she'll love you. ;D

Ben

CHRIS_aka_GWH
08-07-2004, 07:01 AM
I learned this on Totally Wild on TV. What you are saying makes sense, so what are these people teaching kids then??
Dont answer that, it may make sense and I could end up understanding my kids...... nup, that wont happen :)
cheers
Les

the addittion of salt changes the latent heat involved in the change of state, more heat must be extracted for the solution to freeze - therefore frozen salty cubes are actually colder than frozen normal ones - BUT WITHOUT RESEARCHING THE SUBJECT - be very careful before saying this doesn't happen quicker - it may well at a lower temp (your freezer is lower than zero degrees C you see) - latent heat & the effect of ionic solutions on the gradient of heat exchange is a funny thing.

The only truly correct statement i can tell you if without looking into a chemistry book is that at zero degrees celcius water is a solid - salty water is still liquid.

hoge
08-07-2004, 07:29 AM
[quote author=CHRIS_aka_GWH link=board=General;num=1089031751;start=20#28 date=07/07/04 at 11:01:15]

The only truly correct statement i can tell you if without looking into a chemistry book is that at zero degrees celcius water is a solid

Chris, correct me if im wrong but I thought the freezing point of water would be lower than zero if we were experiencing a low pressure system.

mick

blaze
08-07-2004, 07:42 AM
Handy hint
Just enjoy your life and have shit loads of fun while ya can, cause ya dont know whats around the corner
cheers
blaze

CHRIS_aka_GWH
08-07-2004, 07:43 AM
[smiley=wut.gif]ahhhh mick, you were that annoying kid at school with ya hand up all the time weren't you

OK

assume our freezer is at 1 atmosphere air pressure (1.01x10 5 PA) - assume also the water is pure

Gazza
08-07-2004, 07:48 AM
While we're into the meaning of life ,and at what temperature water 'solidifies' #;D
Salt lowers it , Sugar raises it , but to be the 'same' temperature, the same amount of heat is taken out , or put back in ,by melting #;) (Insulation is the key)

HINT for the spirit drinkers: #;D :D :D :D
Put it in the freezer ,and it WONT solidify.....
IF you do find a bit of 'ice' in it ,kill the barstool who stole some ,and "topped it up" with water #>:( >:(

el_carpo
08-07-2004, 08:29 AM
Heh, fishermen never argue over the meaning of life with eachother. I think we're all in complete agreement over that one. ;)

caloundra
08-07-2004, 08:55 AM
HANDY HINT move on from this water freezing topic

HANDY HINT fat people make my boat go slow.

HANDY HINT new edition of beacon to beacon due in time for fathers day HINT HINT

SeaHunt
08-07-2004, 10:01 AM
Sorry not moving on, Adding salt means it takes longer to freeze solid , as someone said water freezes at 0 degrees c, sea water doesn't it has to be colder.
So frozen salty water is colder and will last longer in the esky.

caloundra
08-07-2004, 11:44 AM
water with 10% salt freezes at -6
water with 20% salt freezes at -16

salt water is denser than fresh water so when the ice starts to melt the salt consentrates on the bottom pushing the fresher water on the top (which is colder) keeping the ice frozen for longer periods.

Maria
08-07-2004, 11:47 AM
Phill,
lmao...sorry to be the one to tell you mate, but 1kg of plums on the best of days will give you crook guts, boating or not.

Ben

SeaHunt
08-07-2004, 12:10 PM
Thats right Ben, anyway real men don't eat that fruit and vege womens crap.
We eat cows and chooks and fish and wash it down with Bundy or beer. ;D ;D

Robbo_Townsville
08-07-2004, 02:08 PM
Measure your hand spand. OK we have all heard those stories. Mine is 23cm exactly, good for bream and whiting.

If you ever get the spine of a Catfish in you, squash the eye of the fish and rub on the wound. Good to relieve the pain and plus you kill the fu**in thing that hurt you. Hey, the old boy swears it is true.

bugman
08-07-2004, 02:31 PM
For all those concerned about my run in with Fisheries ...

Maybe you should adress your questions to the person who started this thread [smiley=whip.gif]

Heath
08-07-2004, 07:24 PM
While subject of freezing water is not dead.

We make our ice from saltwater in summer. Just fill both livewells on the way home. Yep it lasts a hell of a lot longer than normal fresh water ice.

On the subject of the time it takes to freeze. Could it be, that the time it takes could in fact be sped up, due to the increased rate of heat transfer? As the water cools down it has a snow ball effect, thus the last half of a container of water freezes faster than the first half ( talking volume here )

I had actually been told that hot water will freeze solid faster than room temperature water due to this exact theory.

Hmmmm, something to try on a wet windy day ;D

PinHead
09-07-2004, 01:01 AM
"On the subject of the time it takes to freeze. Could it be, that the time it takes could in fact be sped up, due to the increased rate of heat transfer? As the water cools down it has a snow ball effect, thus the last half of a container of water freezes faster than the first half ( talking volume here )

I had actually been told that hot water will freeze solid faster than room temperature water due to this exact theory."

The freezing of water (or brine) is all dependent upon the specific heat and the latent heat of fusion. In laymans terms - latent heat is the heat removal to make a change of state (liquid to solid) - there is no temperature change whilst the change of state is occuring. Therefore once water reaches 0C and the change of state begins there is no temperature change until ALL liquid becomes solid. Once it is solid then the temperature can be lowered.

baldyhead
09-07-2004, 01:56 PM
here's an experiment for yuhs to try.
Into 1/2 a glass of yuh favorite spirits put a piece of string making sure that the string goes right to the bottom of the glass.
Put this brew into the freezer and freeze. The alcohol will not freeze but the water it contains will. Grab the string with the frozen water attached and throw it out and drink wots left.
The sign of a true alcoholic hahahahah

ba229
09-07-2004, 02:11 PM
thats the best tip yet baldy :-)

MY-TopEnder
09-07-2004, 02:41 PM
Interesting that...

I had a Carlton Mid in the freezer to cool down quicker and i forgot it was there. Anyway it sorta froze and popped the cap off in the old girls freezer so she was pissed about that but gees it tasted like crap when i ate it like an ice block.