PDA

View Full Version : Award-winning scientist says Barrier Reef well man

jaybee
10-07-2004, 08:51 AM
A leading coral researcher honoured in Hobart today believes the Great Barrier Reef is being well managed.
Professor Terry Hughes from James Cook University has won the top annual award given by the Australian Marine Sciences Association.
His most recent work has made a link between over-fishing and an explosion of seaweed and algae, leading to coral decline.
Professor Hughes says the biggest challenge in the future is to anticipate climate change by maintaining healthy fish stocks in areas with abundant coral.
"Unfortunately the biggest thing we've learnt over the past 10 years is how to kill a coral reef," he said.
"It's a very simple recipe, you pollute it and you overfish it and then it changes in a way that's very hard to recover from."
Last Update: Wednesday, July 7, 2004. 12:49pm (AEST)
For the first time scientists have mapped the temperature of the sea surface around the whole of Australia going back 10 years.
The database has been set up by the CSIRO and charts changes in temperature and ocean currents.
Oceanographer David Griffin says it has pinpointed a unique stretch of coastline off the border of South Australia and Victoria.
He says this region has colder water in summer than in winter and is a high activity area for commercial fishing.
"The narrow stretch of coast there, the Bonney up, is the only part of Australia where this cold water comes to the surface," he said.
"There's such a contrast - Australia is such a contrast with the rest of the world where that happens in many places and is the basis of their fishing industries.
"In Australia we only have that tiny region of cold water and most of our fisheries do not rely on that sort of what we call a temperate ecosystem."

jockey
10-07-2004, 12:04 PM
It just occurred to me. Could this be responsible for the lower catch rates on the GBR compared to other reefs. I've heard many times that our coastline is comparitively very unproductive because of the lack of cold upwellings and other stuff. In that case lower comparitive catch rates on the GBR do not indicate 'underfishing.' I'm sure those who are pushing this information already know this.

Kerry
10-07-2004, 01:45 PM
Bloody hell what a rort, any weather forcaster worth their salt knows the basics about warm and cold currents and when they occur, like one has to be blind not to see the affects. Actually it's really quite simple if anybody actually knows anything about sea fog formation.

Cheers, Kerry.

jaybee
10-07-2004, 04:29 PM
so what does Professor Terry Hughes from James Cook University get out of this with the next fed election coming up. pathetic. Jobs for he boys eh
cheers
Joe

jockey
12-07-2004, 04:20 PM
The great barrier reef is extremely low in nutrients and is very 'closed off' compared to other reefs. That is why the catch rates are lower than other reefs overseas. To claim that we should allow more fishing on the reef because we aren't catching as much as more productive overseas reefs is just asking for disaster.

NQCairns
12-07-2004, 07:37 PM
Isnt that article/press release written well enought to misslead!
Now where does it say the GBR is overfished/poluted by us aussies? it just states "we" ie mankind. He cannot and does not state that the GBR is or was in jeopardy in any way. Just that some reefs somewhere must have been if the artice can be taken on face value
Sounds like more of the drivel 'we' ie the public, are used to from our asteemed scientific fellows and the media.Bloody press releases i wonder who/why it was designed to pander.nq

Kerry
13-07-2004, 04:01 AM
So why is it that nobody has any answers for the areas that have been so called "well managed" for the past 30 years and still the coral is dying.

How much more of this tree hugging dribble are people actually going to put up with? as it's quite easy to see how they are very quick to change tack "as required".

And still they brandy around statements that they really have no evidence to support and if the recipe is in fact "pollute" THEN "overfish" then obviously there needs to be some serious consideration into what they should actually be trying to solve, FIRST.

Really it's going to be quite interesting in another 30 years time when one will have to listen to all the lame brain excuses for why nothing has changed. But being true scientific types there will obviously be many excuses.

Cheers, Kerry.

jockey
13-07-2004, 06:50 AM
I think I've posted this elsewhere. Coral trout catch rates were sustainable at 1998 levels but have roughly doubled since then.

We are lucky here in Australia that we got more warning about how bad things can get if appropriate action isn't taken.