PDA

View Full Version : jack vs barra

CHRIS_aka_GWH
13-07-2004, 03:31 PM
sean's post in saltwater got me thinking - are barra as good as their rep has it - I've never caught one - look like a jew to me ::) - if you had a choice - which buzz would you take

propdinger
13-07-2004, 03:36 PM
for me it would be a jack no matter the size the fight great an i think taste better :o

cheers
jeff

vertico
13-07-2004, 04:13 PM
I think saltwater barra by far taste a shitload better to me.
But neither give me the biggest buzz , go catch a Tarpon on lightish gear
wholey f&ck ! hold on!

megafish71
14-07-2004, 04:11 AM
Definately a big saltwater barra from the big tidal rivers in the NT or northern WA. Nothing beats the intence strike of a metre plus hungry barra. As for the jacks these guys are dirty fighters but once you get them away from the structure that they have been living in the challenge is all over. Heres a tip jack are very territorial and have had my best success catching these with red lures. They tend to hit these even if their not hungry, perhaps they think its another smaller jack moving in on their piece of territory. Both are excellent eating.

NeilD
14-07-2004, 04:16 AM
Barra gets my nod because of their size. if Jacks would stay in the rivers until full grown then I would vote the other way. The Jacks being released into impoundments should make for some happy lure manufacturers in a few years time.

Neil

zedjack33
14-07-2004, 05:23 AM
Many anglers that purposely or mistakenly hooked up to a Jack, have been left weak at the knees resultant from the experience. If the angler has reflexes not matching the Jacks ferocity, the encounter is over before the angler knew what happened. It is not hard for the jack to win a season. I lost last season, with Lutjanus keeping more lures than I got fish. I hope to rectify this issue in the coming season.

I have caught both Barra and Jack in the NT and in QLD. I believe Jacks are the best pound for pound! Funny enough, if I catch a barra, it is by-catch.

Cheers, Zedjack33

BOMBER
14-07-2004, 11:48 AM
Would have to say Barra and particularly those that inhabit Peter faust dam they have been likened to New Guinea Bass when being caught in this impoundment let me tell you at times they make 50lb Bionic & 60 lb leader look very ordinary, extremely tight cover in very shallow water and at 1 meter plus these fish hammer. As for Jack biggest I have caught to date is 57 cm's and as a previous post said once away from structure are a little HO HUm in the fight department, have also found tidal Barra to be the same a little Ho Hum once away from structure thats why I am addicted to Faust Barra, BRING ON SEPTEMBER YYYYYYEEEEEEHHHHHAAAAAA

Regards,

THE BOMBER.