PDA

View Full Version : HMAS Brisbane to be scuttled

stark
07-07-2004, 05:01 PM
Well it may finally happen.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,10058667%255E1702,00.html

HMAS Brisbane to be scuttled

July 06, 2004
THE decommissioned warship HMAS Brisbane will soon be sunk off Queensland's Sunshine Coast to be used as a dive wreck, Premier Peter Beattie said today.

He said the Federal and Queensland Governments had reached agreement on the transfer of the destroyer as a gift from the commonwealth to Queensland.

The ship has sat for the past three years in a naval dock in Sydney at a cost of $11,000 a week, while the two governments squabbled over the conditions of the gift.

Mr Beattie said he was grateful to Defence Minister Robert Hill for the agreement.

"The deal's been done, now we've just got to get it here. I anticipate that we will have it in Queensland waters by the end of this month with a bit of luck," he said.

"It's going to be fantastic for the Sunshine Coast and for all of the tourism industry because you'll get people coming into Cairns, the Gold Coast, Brisbane who'll want to dive off the Sunshine Coast.

"It will become an international diving wreck. Divers love to dive on wrecks like this, particularly former warships. This is going to be a magnet for international diving."

In late May, Mr Beattie accepted an offer from the Federal Government after seeking changes to the deed of gift from the commonwealth.

In October 2001, the Federal Government gave the Queensland Government the ship and agreed to pay the state $3 million to have it towed and sunk off Mooloolaba.

The State Government refused to pay any future costs or liabilities incurred by the ship, despite requests for the vessel from other states.

Cheech
07-07-2004, 05:03 PM
As it is being discussed as a dive wreck, will that mean that you will not be able to fish it?

Hagar
07-07-2004, 06:01 PM
Good point Cheech
If that is going to be the case could I suggest they make it a bloody grey nurse shark haven and relocate a them all there so some of the traditional pelagic grounds can be re-opened to others than divers ( of which I was one for twenty years ).

Chris

jaybee
08-07-2004, 03:44 AM
From what i have read on previous discussions, it will Definitely be a dive only site, no fishing. Unless the Qld government changes it mind.
cheers
Joe

oscar
08-07-2004, 04:06 AM
Courier Mail Wednesday 7th, page 16,
"It will become an international diving wreck. Divers love to dive on wrecks like this." by our Premier.
Maybe someone should take this guy fishing, so he can find out what fishermen like.
oscar

jockey
10-07-2004, 07:04 AM
Perhaps if we had some way of pooling our resources we could get stuff like this for ourselves too.

vertico
12-07-2004, 08:50 AM
lets go buy a few $100 or 200 cars from the trading post and make our own artificial wreck, all we need is a barge to take them all out and drop them off

polydriver
12-07-2004, 03:03 PM
I think we should gather all the Fords and make an atificial reef out of them.

Most people will be happy to see them doing something useful for a change

;D

MY-TopEnder
12-07-2004, 04:02 PM
How many Sigma's do ya want? i can get as many wrecks as ya want...

where_is_dave
14-07-2004, 03:44 AM
Brisbane gave 34 years' of service to the RAN and served in both the Vietnam and Gulf Wars. The ship won numerous awards, including the Australian Meritorious Unit Citation for service in the 1991 Gulf War.
Brisbane was decommissioned in Sydney on 19 October 2001. She was the last steam- powered ship to serve in the RAN.
Later this week Brisbane will be towed out of Sydney Harbour for her final journey to Queensland, where she will be sunk off Mooloolaba as a diving wreck.

jaybee
14-07-2004, 05:51 PM
Premier & Trade, Peter Beattie

13/07/04

Beattie Accepts HMAS Brisbane

SYDNEY: It is estimated HMAS Brisbane will create up to 200 jobs as a Sunshine Coast dive attraction and bring an extra 25,000 tourists to the region, Queensland Premier Peter Beattie said today.

The Premier and State Emergency Services Minister, Member for Kawana, Chris Cummins, were on hand today to formally accept HMAS Brisbane in Sydney.

"Queensland is honoured to accept one of the nation's great fighting ships - especially one that has borne our State capital's name in 34 years' service," he said.

The decommissioned HMAS Brisbane was handed over to the Premier by Defence Minister Senator Robert Hill in a ceremony at Garden Island Naval Base.

"In her new role as a dive site off the Sunshine Coast she will be a magnet for local and international divers. It is fitting that in her new role she will continue to serve a worthy purpose.

"Her final resting place will not only be a dive site - but it will also be a permanent symbol or marker for all 7000 who served on her.

"She saw service in two wars (Vietnam and Gulf) and was home and training station for some of the nation's finest naval officers and crew."

Brisbane is the second ship in the Australian Navy to carry the name.

"It is good that our Brisbane will be sunk off Queensland - as the first ended life sold off to a Sheffield scrap yard in England in 1935," said Mr Beattie.

"Already Tourism Sunshine Coast estimates that, as a dive attraction, Brisbane will create up to 200 jobs and bring an extra 25,000 tourists to the region."

HMAS Brisbane's final resting place will be 2.9 nautical miles east of Mudjimba Island in about 28 metres with a sandy bottom.

"We have chosen a site well clear of fishing and trawling grounds and one that complies with the requirements of the Environmental Protection Agency," he said.

HMAS BRISBANE (DDG-41) - the third of the RAN's American-built "Charles F. Adams" class guided-missile destroyers - was decommissioned in October 2001, ending the age of steam for the Royal Australian Navy.

"Her arrival next week in Brisbane might not be as triumphant as her past visits - especially her farewell visit in August 2001 - but she will be most welcome and we look forward to her safe arrival," said Mr Beattie.

"I want to thank all involved in this ceremony and all who have made this gift possible," he said.

July 13 2004
Media contact: Steve Keating 07 3224 4500