PDA

View Full Version : How far north do I have to travel?

Sean
13-07-2004, 03:02 PM
I know there are pay lakes just north of brissy, but if I wanted to catch barra from my own boat how far north is the southernmost places where a barra is a real good chance, not a one off? Thanks Sean. :)

Peter_J
13-07-2004, 03:22 PM
Sean,

Try Fed Haigh near Gin Gin or Awoonga near Gladstone. There you'll be a good chance but you'll have to work for them ;D

PJ

Needmorerum
13-07-2004, 03:27 PM
Sean, I would love to say that Awoonga Dam is a sure thing, but, I haven't had much luck out there, but then others can nab one nearly every trip. Winter doesn't do much for them, but as it is stocked quite often, there should be a few there.
We had a sh!t load of rain at the start of last year that filled the dam up, this made the fishing harder as before hand with little water in there, they had not alot of hiding spots left. Now you have to work for your fish.
Others may be able to help a bit more for something closer to Brissy, Awoonga is just outside Gladstone which is about 51/2 hours north, once you hit the start of the freeway out of Brissy. Longer if taking it easy with a boat in tow.
I have read some pretty good write ups about the fishing at Cania Dam, but I don't believe that there is any barra there.

Hope this gives you something, although I'm not into freshwater fishing as much as I would like to be.

Corry

BOMBER
14-07-2004, 11:53 AM
WOuld have to say Awonga near Gladstone to stand a reasonable chance of catching a Barra approx 5 1/2 hours North of Brisbane Monduran is around the 4 1/2 hours North but has very few Barra stocked and it is now a very large body of water, if it were me Awonga for sure.

Regards,

THE BOMBER

Sean
14-07-2004, 12:57 PM
Cool, Thanks guys any more I would be happy to hear. :)

whitey73
15-07-2004, 04:09 PM
Do the proserpine trip(Peter Faust Dam) some time mate . U wont be dissapointed at all. Wait for summer and the building moons .

Local_Guy
15-07-2004, 06:33 PM
thre is always Catch-a-barra fishing park at Yeppoon.
it is fly fishing gear only, but u can pellet fish.
but thats still damn fishing, and it's also catch and release.

PM me if you want any more details.

krazyfisher
16-07-2004, 03:41 PM
teemburra and faust

Kev_McC
17-07-2004, 04:24 PM
If you're after impoundment barra then Callide Dam at Biloela is hard to beat, plenty of really good fish get caught there. The Fitzroy River in and downstream of Rockhampton is a very consistent producer of barra. Locals catch plenty of fish there year round but best times for me have been in the spring. Average size fish in the Fitzroy is relatively large but it is a massive system and can take some time to get wired.
look into it, you'll be glad you did