PDA

View Full Version : Sounder for Estuary - Impoundment Use

logans_hero
05-07-2004, 04:29 AM
Hi,

Just doing a bit of homework on a new depth sounder that would be suitable for Estuary/Impoundment. Would prefer one of the smaller models on the market if anyone has any ideas and a reputable dealer where I can purchase one. Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Neal

Gazza
05-07-2004, 04:48 AM
for the same reason bought a little 150sx awhile back ,due to shallow depths the res wasn't so important.......as its o.k.

would prefer the basic 240pixel job ,any brand, just to show just a little more detail ,on structure ,not some much bait schools or "fish"

All technolgy is good nowadays, even min.level stuff ;)

sir_noelus
06-07-2004, 12:38 PM
Have the small Raymarine on one of the boats. Bought from Bias in Sydney. For about $360 it's very good value. Use it in lakes and estuaries and very happy. Has all the features except temp and speed, and don't think they are very important for that type of work. Bought it because we have a bigger Ratheon ( same Co) on another boat. Happy with it too. Noel.

MY-TopEnder
06-07-2004, 06:04 PM
I've got a little Garmin FF120, its the higher res version of the base model, and also has a bigger screen. It seems to be pretty good for shallow use and generally shows up well. Fish I.D. i have since learned isn't the best though, you're better off using the raw data.

Price was around the $270 mark. Mounting hardware seems strong, and the transducer reads well.

bigbrian47
07-07-2004, 02:48 AM
neal i've been using a eagle ultra classic for years have found it great for the shallow reefs off moreton etc @ also have a portable unit with it that i've used on dories at the swains @
in the fresh at glenlyon @ leslie dams i think it's 240 x 160
pixel @ a very good screen
i'm currently updating to a more powerful unit but i will keep
the old one for it' portable use
recently @ mates sounder buggered up @ he borrowed mine @
was surprised how good it was
cheers brian

logans_hero
19-07-2004, 12:01 PM
Just dropped into BIAS (new one at Underwood) And think I might go with a Furuno. Anyone using the smaller Furuno models? It was about $450 and can have GPS added afterwards. This store has its grand opening next weekend and a sale.

NeilD
19-07-2004, 01:43 PM
I recently picked up a Lowrance X 125 for under $500.00 from Springwood. This is a very impressive unit. High powered, great resolution and dead simple to drive.

Neil

logans_hero
19-07-2004, 03:08 PM
Good price, looked at the X135 today think it was $640
Neal