PDA

View Full Version : FRAUD

straddie
18-07-2004, 07:52 AM
Hi all, just thought I would post a general warning about emails from "banks". They are NOT real, they are fraudsters scamming your credit card details and are becoming very sophisticated in their approach, even giving very detailed information warning about fraud and telling you this is why they need your details.

The emails look very real and links even appear to go to the banks real website, but real banks do not need you to give them information that they already have.

If you think it may be a real email (which it won't be) phone your bank and confirm the request, it will save you being ripped off.

PinHead
18-07-2004, 11:31 AM
Straddie..banks do not send emails to customers at all.
I do most of my banking online but I keep passwords etc well protected and never let anyone know them or keep them on the computer.

straddie
18-07-2004, 02:04 PM
Heya Pinhead, that's good practice.
I was going to post about this last week as a guy I know that I thought had seen it all and couldn't get caught was 99% convinced it was real and mentioned it to me. I just told him outright it was a scam, and he eventually did what I said and rang the bank to be told it was a scam.

Then I got an email today which I picked straight away but actually took the time to read rather than just delete like I always do. It was a very good con and I can see that a lot of people are going to get caught by this one, so just thought I would give everyone here a heads up.

bungie
18-07-2004, 02:22 PM
Its not just banks either, theres one floating around that claims to be from paypal too.

NQCairns
19-07-2004, 03:02 AM
People must be getting done left right and centre, someone I know had $5000 taken from her account via the net. The fed police and the bank were in wait, this thief also hit may others at the same time.
The thing is this lady didn't reply to any emails nor did she give any details out whatsoever but she still got robbed becaiuse of net banking. Bank paid up in 10 days, no compensation for loss weight caused by starvation and living on the street while waiting for her money though! May electricity keep running forerver. nq

PinHead
19-07-2004, 08:16 AM
"The thing is this lady didn't reply to any emails nor did she give any details out whatsoever but she still got robbed becaiuse of net banking"

How did they get the password etc if she did not give it out ????
Unless she had no protection on her computer which would not be a real bright thing to do...I think the hacking into computers is quite rare ..think about the numbers of computers and how unlucky you would have to be to be hit. I have never had anyone attempt to hack into mine in 6 years.

Net banking is as safe as houses as far as I am concerned..no different to going to a branch or an ATM.

Fitzy
19-07-2004, 03:34 PM
There's also a phone scam running where they actually ring you pretending to be your bank & then tell you they think you're card has been fraudulently used. They ask you to verify your name, address, DOB etc The punch line is when they ask for proof that you are still in possession of your card they ask you to read the 4 digit code on the back of the card, within minutes they nail your account for $495.oo.
DO NOT GIVE THE CODE ON THE BACK OF YOUR CARD TO ANYONE OVER THE PHONE.
This is nothing to do with internet stuff, somone has obviously gotten into (or hacked) some files they shouldnt have & got the basic info on ppl.
You can of course challenge it & but as they have the secuity code, that is as good as a signature. Not sure if you'll get your $$ back, but I know of one person who succesfully has.

fitzy..

bungie
19-07-2004, 03:57 PM
Pinhead,
If you have never had anybody attempt to hack your machine in 6 years you need to get new fire wall software, I get "probed" between 15 - 20 times a day

PinHead
19-07-2004, 04:02 PM
My firewall is up to date and never had an attempt at all

el_carpo
19-07-2004, 11:17 PM
Good post!

The way that the crooks get your passwords even though you don't give them out involves a virus. I don't know what it was called, but this particular one would infect your computer just by you opening it (no replying involved). What it did was it keeps track of every single button stroke you make on the keyboard! :o The thieves scan your keyboard history looking for anything that looks like a password or anything else that may give them access to things you would rather they did not have. When they find it, you're in trouble. I don't do anything over the internet moneywise. No credit card numbers, no shopping, no real private information, no anything.

Something else to give you nightmares. When you throw out junk mail (physical paper stuff here not computer) make absolutely sure your name, address, account numbers have all been shredded or blanked out before you throw them in the trash. In fact, shred all of your junk mail and "special offers" that come in the mail box. Identity thieves actually pull out garbage bags and sort through them here looking for goodies that will enrich themselves while ruining your life. I've seen it done to my neighbor. A guy was out trash hunting in his bins. I called out, "If you're trying to find stuff to steal identities in there you're wasting your time. We shred all that stuff!" He ran away. He was no scrapper. He was an identity thief! >:(

What is really fun is when the banks throw out their papers. For a while, they didn't think about shredding their old papers before they threw them out. It was a varitable treasure trove for the identity thieves. Pin numbers, names, account numbers, social security numbers, addresses, phone numbers, everything they could possibly hope for was right there for them. Finally, the banks caught on and are now required to shred everything they throw out. I only hope they do!

Stinkin' thieves! >:(