PDA

View Full Version : Innisfail man convicted on fish-farm bird killings

Derek Bullock
20-07-2004, 03:32 PM
Dont some people give you the s---s. For those who dont know the masked lapwing is a common plover and they don't even eat fish.

Derek

An Innisfail man has been convicted and given a one-month suspended sentence today after admitting killing up to 2000 native birds in the course of his employment at a fish farm at Cowley, near Innisfail, north Queensland.

Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Regional Director Dr Margaret Card said the man, 42, a former labourer at the farm, was charged under Section 88 of the Nature Conservation Act 1992 and pleaded guilty to the charge in Cairns Magistrates Court.

“The magistrate imposed a one-month custodial sentence, wholly suspended for six months, and a conviction was recorded,” Dr Card said.

“The man admitted that between June 2002 and August 2003, he shot birds at the Barramundi Waters fish farm operated by Nino Pty Ltd.

“The birds killed included pelicans, striated herons, masked lapwings and jabirus.

“Nino Pty Ltd, one of its directors and another four people are facing charges arising out of the EPA investigation into these matters.

“In Queensland, all native birds are protected under the Nature Conservation Act.

“We want to ensure that any taking of wildlife is in accordance with the law,” Dr Card said.

Released by: Environmental Protection Agency

caveman
20-07-2004, 03:43 PM
what ajoke derek a 1 month sentence for all those birds, a farmer where i used to shoot on had a nest of the plovers in the middle of his access road(gravel) to his house, he put a steel picket in the middle of the rd so we had to drive around the nest,

Derek Bullock
20-07-2004, 03:54 PM
“The magistrate imposed a one-month custodial sentence, wholly suspended for six months, and a conviction was recorded,” Dr Card said.[/i]

Nope, thats not a one month sentence. What that means is that if he doesnt behave for six months he could go to jail for a month.

I agree, it's a joke alright.

Derek

bakes
20-07-2004, 04:31 PM
yeh i agree it is a bit of a joke
bakes

Lucky_Phill
20-07-2004, 05:25 PM
It is unbelieveable when you consider the justice handed out to a couple of Drunks that bit off a mouses tail in a pub game !

Please forward to me the name and address of the clown that makes the rules and sets the penalties !

Phill

Gazza
20-07-2004, 06:27 PM
I've read that native birds are 'killed' on tourist pontoons......on the reef :o

Same fine for those responsible ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
Repeat offenders ,what do they get ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

thargor
20-07-2004, 06:31 PM
He was just doing what he was told to do. Probably told that it was fine etc etc.

Better if they go hard on the manager who gave direction.

Although ignorance of the law is no excuse...

kc
20-07-2004, 09:18 PM
Hmmm! Time marches on. This is no doubt the same Dr Margret Card who used to work for Great Adventures/Dreamworld Corporation who strung nets up around the Moore Reef pontoon to keep the birds off and whose staff used to pick out the dead birds and chuck them off the pontoon before the tourists were allowed to disembark the vessel for the day. Used to be half a good sort too!! Funny how memories fade and time changes things. In my days with GA I was a bit sweet on her............now she is part of the enemy.

Regards

KC

el_carpo
20-07-2004, 10:37 PM
Thargor, I agree with you. #It says he worked at the farm. #Was shooting the birds part of his job? #If so, the owner/manager should be in as much, if not more, trouble than him. #I'm not saying let him go but he wasn't alone in this. #This is a horrible story. #All of those birds killed for no reason. #If they wanted to keep them away, they should have just done what the airports do. #Set off loud noises. #Fireworks or recordings of them. #Really sad. :'(