PDA

View Full Version : Escott Barra camp

landy1
20-07-2004, 06:33 AM
G'day all
Wow its been ages, im still trying to cram all my crap into the new house up here but im going away for some much needed R and R. A mate (Gypsea) and I are heading up to Escott Station Barra camp near Burketown in the middle of August. Im going to be waving the long wand around as much as i can, if all goes to plan. Ive got some fly lines inherited from Harro to try out. Trust me to go to a hot barra spot in the middle of winter but its better than working. Has anyone from the board been to Escott before (any hints from the peanut gallery ;D). On a crappier note two of my favourite rods were trashed by the removalists, good thing i insisted on carrying all my fly gear on the plane.
cheers
Mick

firetruck
20-07-2004, 09:17 AM
Mate i went there years ago.

Didn't do much fishing but from memory the river banks, some of the spots with heaps of snags are pretty thick with trees/ follage, don't know how you'll go with the fly gear.

I imagine you'll find some good spost. Enjoy it.

Jim_Tait
20-07-2004, 06:30 PM
Landy,

I used to live on Escott and my ol'man actually kicked off the lodge back in the 70's by flying a Cherokee full of keen fishers up there on a regular basis from the lower Burdekin. In my high school years I also did a bit of guiding on the place during school holidays and the memories of hot action are many, though winter can be hard fishing - although one of the best times I eber had was in August where we caught about 80 barra over a weekend. I caught my best barra there in 1979 (see attached) before the maximum size limit came in.

Do you have a boat? There is ample opportunity to wave the long wand and if the barra don't fire you can always go chasing a heap of the other species on offer including every thing down in the salt. If you really want to spoil yourself shed some $ on getting a local charter plane to drop you across at Sweers Island and go berserk on the Queenies and everything else!

On Escott I'd suggest the Five Mile (massive deepwater lagoon) either deep isolated snags centre channel or the braided channels right at the top of it (bit warmer water) - or the fresh though tidally influenced reaches of the Gin Arm (Warhaupe Camp & downstream).

Lets us know how you go

Regards and tight lines - Jim

landy1
21-07-2004, 08:44 AM
Cant ask for a better reply than that eh, Cheers Jim and yes i'll be draging the boat up (12ft edgetracker). Basically we just want to get into any fish and forget about life fora while but a barra would be damn nice ;). I love the look of the place, we dropped in from work one day and the huge croc skull on the wall of the bar had me hooked straight away. I also intend going back up to Burketown next march (wet season permitting) to get stuck into the barra then.
cheers
Mick