PDA

View Full Version : Best bait supplier on the Bayside?

MulletMan
18-07-2004, 03:57 PM
Budds Bait & Tackle used to have good squid and pillies but now everything is frozen solid and in packs of about twelve for $3-5.00 each!!!
Where can I buy bulk pillies that don't look like damn mullet and likewise fresh squid?
Thanks guys

-spiro-
18-07-2004, 04:17 PM
SQUID FROM MORGANS AT SCARBOUGH.

MulletMan
18-07-2004, 04:50 PM
Thanks Spiro, I should have said the southern Bayside as in Wellington Point and southwards.
Nothing of quality down here that I can find!

aido
18-07-2004, 05:02 PM
the missus usually goes down to the fresh seafood shop
next to the newsagent in wello point, fresh squid usually
about 9 bucks a kilo, pretty much what i end up paying for
frozen stuff.

Lucky_Phill
18-07-2004, 05:08 PM
If you get to know, Ian, from Aussies Seafood at Capalaba, he'll get you good fresh bait.

have Mullet for $10/ 3kg atm

I end up going to Morgans most times. It's worth the trip usually.

Morgans had Mullet for $1.50kg 3 weeks ago ( filleted )

Cuttle fish $3.99
Diver Whiting $2.99
Squid Small $ 5.99
Squid Large $6.99

Although, Budd's has bulk pillies in IQF form, and reasonable priced ( 15kg boxes )

Phill

Lucky_Phill
18-07-2004, 05:10 PM
Having said all that.

Every now and again I make special ' Bait " collecting trips.

for Yakka / Slimie I hit the new Arti off the Gold Coast.

You can even go specific Mullet fishing in your local creeks etc.

I have seen Squid and Cuttlefish in the Raby Bay Harbour in good numbers.

Buy some jigs etc.
Phill

adamleah
18-07-2004, 07:17 PM
The seafood shop near leisure marine always has fresh bay squid for around $6.99/kg , octupus, cuttlefish, slimies, and even sell pillies they are the cheapest in the Bayside by far......... Mullet fillets are 4kg/$10 at the moment ....

And then you walk across the street to the produce shop and pick up chicken pellets for the burley in 10kg bags for a steal....

Adam

MulletMan
18-07-2004, 07:21 PM
Thanks Adam, never even thought of those guys!
As you say, good fresh stuff, particularly the mullet
Ta

webby
19-07-2004, 05:03 AM
HI If anyone is interested, i can get slimies 15kg cartons for 7.50 at kilo. havent brought pillies for yonks, so dont know how that compares.
regards

bj
19-07-2004, 05:56 AM
There,s a fish van outside of the Redland Bay Amateur Fishing Club of a Thursday afternoon.They come over from Straddie.Although you have got to order your bait.Prices were very good the last time I bought there.

moondancer
20-07-2004, 01:37 PM
I'm with Adam - I often buy my bait straight from the sedafood house next to Leisure Marine - always good quality if fresh, although had a couple of ordinary experiences with some frozen gar and pillies - stick to fresh, better bait, better price. Also, check out Fishhead tackle shop at redland bay. Duncan runs a good little show there, and will suppply most baits, usually good quality, at a reasonable price.

Lawry

CHRIS_aka_GWH
20-07-2004, 02:01 PM
davy jones' locker is the place to go

buy a cast net $49.99
a squid jig $7.95
a bait jig $2.95

& go there - there always heaps & the price is right. ;D

then you'll start catching some fish #;)

chris

i do know what you mean - the quality of a lot of frozen currently is tripe.

ross_woody
20-07-2004, 04:58 PM
I grab my bait from the Seafood House, Good quality and size at a reasonble price

POWDER
21-07-2004, 03:53 PM
SAME HERE.AUSSIE SEAFOOD HOUSE.
ALWAYS A GOOD PRICE ON MULLET.TRY THERE FRESH BAY SQUID ABOUT $10 A KILO.PERFECT SIZE.THE SMALLER ONES FIT WHOLE ON A HOOK.PERFECT SNAPPER BAIT.
IF YOU ASK THEM THEY WILL EVEN GIVE YOU A FOAM BOX TO KEEP IT IN.KEEPS YOUR ESKY MANK FREE