PDA

View Full Version : Fishing mechanism

max
22-07-2004, 07:18 PM
This is something a bit different to throw around with feed back. I have designed a fishing device that fits onto the rod and works like a mouse trap in the line. The basic concept of this device is to trigger a mechanism that eliminates the time it takes to set the hook into the fish. The rod and reel work normal at all times. Fully adjustable for sensability.I have given it a good trial and it works well. Need feed back on where to go with it or if anyone is interested in taking it further.
Max

Maria
22-07-2004, 07:41 PM
More detailed info and maybe some pics would help mate.

Ben

max
22-07-2004, 07:54 PM
Sorry no pics or description of working mechanism till patent taken.
max

Black_Rat
22-07-2004, 07:59 PM
bqmax

must be fast as after a recent trip to a top Indian resturant............. the next morning was quicker than a bolt of lightinging......shhhhhheeeeeeezzzzeee !!!!!

Jeremy
23-07-2004, 04:18 AM
Put it in the bin mate. I want to hook and fight my own fish, not let some automated device do it for me. The more direct contact and control I have the better. Also anything that makes it less sporting just ain't cricket.

Anyway, most fish I catch you need to let run with the bait before setting the hook. Stiking when you feel the first bite is a sure way to miss them.

The only use I can see for automated devices like this are for the disabled, but then if they are disabled, they won't be able to work a normal rod and reel anyway.

Jeremy

mackmauler
23-07-2004, 05:22 AM
dont tell me you have cloned webbys right arm ::) ;D

DaneCross
23-07-2004, 05:41 AM
Ahh Jeremy as a disabled angler myself who uses a 'normal' rod and reel I'll be first to open your eyes. A couple of slight reel mods has me on my way http://www.danecross.com/fishings%20mods.htm
Max, I'm extremely interested in what you have designed. As I've mentioned, as a disabled angler myself, the device you've described may help a fair bit - don't go throwing it in the bin as Jeremy has suggested ::)

CHRIS_aka_GWH
23-07-2004, 05:45 AM
dont tell me you have cloned webbys right arm ::) ;D

maybe ... does it automatically drink rum too ?

max,

it would only be suitable for shallow water unless it can pull a lot of line quick - in deep water a third of the line out can be the bow in the line.

Automated fishing devices fail in the market place. There was a sprung loaded hook set up I remember, that sent a set of clamps into the fishes head.

As jeremy said - fishing appeals to the hunter in us & that hunters ego - if it was just about fish for food we'd buy it (in the long run it would be cheaper) - if it was just about the scenery we'd go boating rather than staring at a rod tip for hours.

I reckon its all about the hunt & then the fight. Dane has opened the door to your inventive mind.

There is a big market to assist the achievement of that process in a large segment of society who are not catered for with the traditional equipment. I think that market would dwarf by comparison those who go fishing but want a device to hook the fish for them

It is important to understands the reason why people are attracted to an activity before marketing to it. Their basic motivation.

I also think that any device that responds to the first take will pull the bait away from 90% of fish.

Dane,

are you attracted to the idea of the device simply because the current design of rods & reels makes it awkward for you to hook a fish. If those interfaces could be improved would you find that more desireable than having the fish hooked for you?

chris

jaybee
23-07-2004, 06:28 AM
Dc did you design the mods yourself? if so have you thought of contacting disability support agencies, i'm a support worker and there is a lot of people out there that could use those types of mods. Bg you could probably do the same thing, so you can say you have trialled them.
Cheers
Joe.

DaneCross
23-07-2004, 06:51 AM
Gday Joe,
I got the original idea from somewhere on the net but I made my own improvements on that. I have shared my design with a number of people in my situation, but havn't formally approached any support agencies as such. I attended a disablity fishing day conducted by Sunfish recently and 'showed off' the mods to the people there. Feel free to pass on the link from my website to anyone who you think may benefit from it.
Dane

MulletMan
23-07-2004, 06:59 AM
Gotta agree with Jeremy mate!
Half the fun of fishing is the skill in setting up the right rig, the right bait, the best spots, and the thrill of setting the hook at the right moment!

jaybee
23-07-2004, 07:14 AM
Thanks dane have bookmarked it.
cheers
Joe

Kerry
23-07-2004, 07:19 AM
Sounds like something that was around 30 odd years ago and sounds similar to what's used today on deep sea automatic electric/hydraulic line reels.

Cheers, Kerry.

max
23-07-2004, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the feed back.
True it only suits a certain group of people. There are a lot of people out there though that do not have the latest expensive rod, reel, sounder, braided line and all the gear to catch more fish or even the reflexes to respond to the fish biting.
This device only changes the response time from feeling the bite to setting the hook, every thing else is the same.
Operates well on the department store $10 rod and reel which is definiately no threat to the serious fisher.
As Jeremy said some fish nibble and some run with the bait. When I first tried this catching brim with a prawn I had no luck after peeling the prawn and only using 1/3 of the prawn I caught 5 fish without loosing the bait. Might I add there were 5 fishing on the rock wall and I was the only one to cath fish and I am definiately not a fisherman. As I said earlier it only suits the person who wants to sit back on the grassy bank and have a beer while fishing.
Great feedback and as stated will probably end up staying in my basic fishing box.