PDA

View Full Version : Qld endorses new reef zones

jaybee
24-07-2004, 12:39 PM
ABC News
Last Update: Thursday, July 22, 2004. 6:43 PM (AEST)
The Queensland Government has endorsed new protection zones for the Great Barrier Reef but wants to keep rivers, creeks, estuaries and mangroves along Queensland's coastline open to fishing.
Queensland Environment Minister John Mickel has released his response to the Commonwealth's controversial new zones, which ban commercial fishing in a third of the Great Barrier Reef.
Mr Mickel has told a parliamentary budget estimates committee that his proposal is open for discussion but believes it is a balanced approach.
"It ensures the conservation benefits of the new Commonwealth zoning are secured in the intertidal areas," he said.
"It locks in the substantial gains for recreational fishers and the tourist industry, it provides certainty for commercial fishers."

nonibbles
24-07-2004, 04:43 PM
Qld endorses...? :o NO!!!!! If there were a truly representative referendum on the subject I'd be happy to accept a statement like the SE corner of queensland +/- out back queensland but I do believe that central, northern, far northern and gulf coastal areas would give a resounding NO! just because the elected voice of qld endorses it does not mean that all the people he represents does!

jaybee
24-07-2004, 04:56 PM
nibbles
Mr Mickel has told a parliamentary budget estimates committee that his proposal is open for discussion but believes it is a balanced approach he believes, what about all the rec fishos, what do they beleive. must be getting close to a federal election an someone wants a senate seat, maybe i'm wrong tho.
cheers
Joe