PDA

View Full Version : Don't you hate it when this happens

Dug
24-07-2004, 09:50 AM
Barracuda Bites Man on Fishing Boat

TYBEE ISLAND, Ga. (AP) - A 65-year-old man on a fishing trip along the Georgia coast was injured Wednesday when a 30-pound barracuda jumped into his boat.

Ziggy Zablotny was aboard a charter fishing boat about three miles off Tybee Island when the fish bit him, according to the Coast Guard.

``They were fishing for Spanish mackerel and had stopped the boat to re-adjust the lines when this fish jumped over 30 feet from the water into the salon and hit this guy in the hand,'' said Judy Helmey, owner of Miss Judy Charters. ``It broke his hand and cut his finger really badly.''

One of the adults on board contacted the Coast Guard and reported that Zablotny was bleeding heavily as a result of the bite. Zablotny was taken by ambulance to Memorial Health University Medical Center.

``We see them jumping all the time, but you never see them jump straight into the boat,'' Helmey said. ``It didn't have a hook in it or anything pulling it in. He was sailing like he had wings.''

Peter Fischel, a marine biologist at the Skidaway Institute of Oceanography, said that barracudas are not usually aggressive toward humans.

``It's quite a myth that they go out and attack people,'' Fischel said. ``Generally, it's a mistake by the fish when they bite someone.''

Information from: Savannah Morning News, http://www.savannahnow.com

I recall a guy being killed by a bluefin tuna on the NSW south coast, evidently when he went to hold the fish up for a photo it flipped piercing his heart with its fin, almost instant death, but lots of shark burley. :-X

Dr_Dan
24-07-2004, 09:57 AM
A bluefin tuna fin piercing his heart? Sounds a bit hard to believe???

IN Grants guide to fishes (the bible!), he talks about Wolfherring leaping out of the water, and piercing a guy in the neck with their forward pointing teeth, knocking him over the side of the boat with blood running from his neck.

firetruck
24-07-2004, 10:39 AM
It could only ever happen to a guy with the name Ziggy Zablotny ;D

SeaHunt
24-07-2004, 11:18 AM
Nice ring to it alright,
Along the same lines, when I was just a litlle guppy I found a dead fish on the beach, probably a bream looking back on it now. Anyway I picked it up and was trying to scare my sister with it and she took off up the beach screamimg so I chucked it at her and it stuck fair in the middle of her back. The dorsal fin had gone in about half an inch , like a dart. Lucky shot , I thought :o ::)
Till the old man got hold of me anyway. [smiley=stare.gif] [smiley=stare.gif][smiley=whip.gif] [smiley=whip.gif] [smiley=worried2.gif]
Took a lot to pull it out too, as I remember. [smiley=shout.gif]

jaybee
24-07-2004, 12:10 PM
Have read storie where a man was killed by a marlin thrashing around the boat his bill pierced his heart. I can remember a few years ago i bought my brother a really expensive knife, he was on hols and caught a big spaniard, no pacifier when he got it into the boat, he was on the fish and saw his thing go past his head, he jumped up and here was this razor sharp knife sinking to davey jones locker. :( could have been the end of him.
cheers
Joe
ps will try and find the page with some of these stories.

ba229
24-07-2004, 12:22 PM
i hate when i spit out the window off me car but then find the window is up ;D

jaybee
24-07-2004, 12:22 PM
how to remove a hook
http://www.esoxhunter.com/hooksout.html

jaybee
24-07-2004, 12:25 PM
Frozen fish kills man
27/05/2003 23:13 - (SA)
Ziegfried Ekron
Cape Town - A man from Delft died in a freak accident on Tuesday when a fish fell on his head.

Ismail de Klerk, 48, was helping to unload fish in the Table Bay harbour when the accident happened.

Captain Keith Blake of the Table Bay police said De Klerk was standing on a container about 13:45 while a crane was unloading the cargo of frozen fish from the trawler Eros.

Johanel Henkins, spokesperson for De Klerk's employer, Dock Masters, said when large fish were being unloaded, ropes were tied to their tail and cranes lowered them five at a time. "One of the ropes snapped and the frozen fish landed on De Klerk's head."

Blake said De Klerk died a few minutes later.

"I do not know what type of fish it was, since the head had already been removed. However, it was a large fish and it looked like a marlin," Blake said.

No foul play is suspected.

Dr_Dan
24-07-2004, 12:26 PM
I saw a piccie a while ago (maybe on this site) of a japanese diver that had a baracuda sticking out of his eye socket? Anyone else see this?

Also, there was the one wehre the womens silicone breast implant prevented a marlin bill penetrating her lung. What do you all reckon, breast implansts compulsory safety requiremetn on all boats now?

Hutcho
24-07-2004, 12:43 PM
oh!!!!! #;D ;D ;D I nearly blew snot out of me own nose with some of these posts they were so funny!!!!! I just had these images in my mind.......Sorry for the grose image. (wiping my nose....) SeaHunt and ba229 Classics.

Hutcho

ba229
24-07-2004, 12:49 PM
this is one tough way to go out

Man drowns in cat bowl
8/16/01
Wellington - A New Zealand man drowned in his cat's water bowl after slipping on an icy ramp outside his back door and hitting his head as he went to feed it, a newspaper reported on Thursday.

An inquest was told that Peter Robinson, 28, of Reefton was found by his mother unconscious in 4 centimetres of water in his pet kitten Piper's plastic bowl, the New Zealand Herald reported.

She said the ramp was covered in about 3 centimetres of ice after a week of heavy frosts. He apparently slipped on July 5, hit his head and fell headfirst into the bowl, breathing water into his lungs. - AFP

Dug
24-07-2004, 01:43 PM
BA229 "i hate when i spit out the window off me car but then find the window is up "

I have never done this but many years ago while in the RAAF we had American troops camping in tents below our 3 story barracks at Amber-field.

Being a little drunk and having a large thunder-flash is never good but at about 1am while drinking with friends I decided it would be a good idea to #drop the thunder-flash on the Yanks.

I lit the fuse and threw it out the window................................ only to realize we had fly screens.

# # # # # # # # # # # [smiley=stunned.gif]

The flash rolled back on the floor and drunks scrambled for the door, none of us made it, #I still have a ringing in my ears 25 years later. [smiley=oops.gif]

ba229
24-07-2004, 01:50 PM
lol thats really funny. would have loved to seen it videotaped.

philip_thomson
24-07-2004, 02:01 PM
lol dug i hate it when i do that lol ::) and ba229 love your new avatar these posts wouldn;t be as good without it

cheers philip

Burley_Boy
24-07-2004, 02:19 PM
Good one Dug, and to think you could probably have won some sort of TV video award and a car or something for that stunt. Maybe we should try a re-enactment and you get some more boom boom stuff ;D

Back to the fish stories though, I was surprised one night out fishing and passing the torch over the water made all these small fish start jumping, next thing I know I had baitfish jumping into the boat. Might be a fish thing.... see light .... :o we must sacrifice one of our own... ;D ;D ;D
Go through a lot of batteries collecting bait that way though so I've got a cast net these days. ;)

ba229
24-07-2004, 02:32 PM
philip, i thought my posts were pretty good. i don't just rely of sight gags for entertainment you know ;D ;D ;D ;D

hey burley boy read one of the all time classic threads

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/board/YaBB.cgi?board=General;action=display;num=10839152 39;start=

Captian_Zero
24-07-2004, 04:29 PM
Check out this link:

http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin1992-02.html

Regards

Chris

P.S. I love the concept of the darwin Awards "Named in honor of Charles Darwin, the father of evolution, Darwin Awards commemorate those who improve our gene pool by removing themselves from it."

Captian_Zero
24-07-2004, 04:35 PM
A few more darwin Awards:

Ljubljana, Slovenia - A passionate angler at an eastern Slovenian lake caught a fish so big that he drowned trying to reel it in, the state-run news agency reported Tuesday. Determined to land the sheatfish, a type of catfish, the 47-year-old fisherman walked into the lake after hooking it and refused to let go when it pulled him under, the STA news agency, quoted a friend of Franc Filipic as saying. The friend, who was not identified, said Filipic's last words before he drowned were: "Now I've got him!" Police and divers found his body after a two-day search. The fish was not found.

And this one:

In unincorporated Fox Lake, Illinois, 28-year-old Daniel Wyman drowned after he and a companion inadvertently blew a hole in the bottom of their boat with an M-250 firecracker. The M-250 firecracker is the equivalent of one-fourth of a stick of dynamite. Daniel Wyman and his friend threw the firecracker into the water near their 14-foot aluminum rowboat. The boat was caught by a gust of wind that pushed the boat over the explosive. The boat was not equipped with life preservers; Wyman, who could not swim, drowned when the boat sank. His companion swam to shore and was taken to Northern Illinois Medical Center in McHenry for observation.

Fox Lake Fire Capt. Thomas Preidis said that the device probably had floated back to the surface when it exploded; otherwise the cushion of water between the explosive and the boat probably would have prevented a breach of the hull. "We really don't know why it happened," Preidis said. "It's getting close to the 4th of July, and people like to blow off fireworks. When you throw an M-250 in the water it makes a nice big geyser. Then again, they may have been trying to scare fish to the surface."

And this is an absolute classic ;D:

25 May 1999, Ukraine) A fisherman in Kiev electrocuted himself while fishing in the river Tereblya. The 43-year-old man connected cables to the main power supply of his home, and trailed the end into the river. The electric shock killed the fish, which floated belly-up to the top of the water. The man waded in to collect his catch, neglecting to remove the live wire, and tragically suffered the same fate as the fish. In an ironic twist, the man was fishing for a mourning meal to commemorate the first anniversary of his mother-in-law's death.

Captian_Zero
24-07-2004, 04:38 PM
Here is the link. Some other non fishing related classics amongst them. Never try to break a windscreen with a loaded gun!!!

http://www.humormatters.com/darwin.htm

Dug
24-07-2004, 06:09 PM
My family used to live on a salt water creek and we were used to fisher-people visiting and camping. One day we were asked to call an ambulance for a poor guy concussed and covered in small cuts. He had climbed out on a branch overhanging the creek with a stick of gelignite and become overexcited when he saw a school of mullet coming up river on the tide.
MMMMM you guessed it!
Lights fuse, throws gelly, watches gelly and mullet float back up under tree with tide. Bang!
[smiley=dunce.gif]

Another I actually saw was a guy who caught a big toothy eel thing unfortunately he was in a plywood boat and for some reason had a small hatchet.
Large toothy creature + wooden boat + small hatchet + frightened fisherman = fast sinking boat with several holes chopped in hull.

It was like watching one of those cartoons of the person franticly rowing a sinking boat. We would have gone to help but we were laughing too hard.

Dug
24-07-2004, 06:26 PM
Boom Boom stuff? I was going to go into explosives but chose photography instead I still love blowing things up. If this photo loads OK it is a computer being hit by 6 shotguns :D It is part of a series, we blew up some computers with powergel, we burned some with avgas and we shot some with shotguns. Everyone should do this sometime the video is available too but I dont think it should go on TV.

el_carpo
24-07-2004, 09:34 PM
Hahaha! Who hasn't wanted to shoot their computer at one time or another? Error message eh? Well, take this! BOOM! ;D

As for the barracuda story, something similar happened to an uncle of mine. He was swimming in Florida when he saw a huge 'cuda come right for him. He figures it was either the fact that he was wearing a silver watch at the time ('cuda mistook it for a fish) or the fact that he was wearing red and white swim shorts (a very popular color combo on "Daredevil" spoon lures.) ;D Either way, he said he's never swam so fast in all his life. ;) Didn't stop until he was fifty feet up the beach! ;D

GES
24-07-2004, 09:34 PM
I had a Fisheries Officer mate who was on patrol in one of the Central Queensland rivers a few years ago.
It was night time and there were two officers travelling along in the dinghy. One was on the stearing tiller and my mate was in the front end with a spot light which he turned on every now and then to light up the areas of the river where a net was likely to be set.
Everyone knows that mullet jump when they are suddenly hit with a light and a large 4 pounder jumped at the crucial moment and sailed into the dinghy, hitting my mate right in the solar plexis. He fell off the seat onto the floor of the dinghy groaning like he was going to die and rolled around for a while with the wind knocked complelely out of him.
He got shiaked for ages about whether his method of catching mullet at night was legal or not.

GES

bidkev
25-07-2004, 04:01 AM
Frozen fish kills man
27/05/2003 23:13 #- (

<snip>

No foul play is suspected.

Only applicable if killed by a frozen chicken? :-)

jaybee
25-07-2004, 04:17 AM
Managed to find one page still looking for the other.

http://www.sea-ex.com/fishospeak/swordfis.htm

Dug
25-07-2004, 05:22 AM
That proves it fish are evil we must kill them ;D

You do realize that fishing is the most dangerous sport in the world? More people die fishing each year than any other sport including mountain climbing, parachuting, bungy jumping, etc.

Most are either swept out ot sea from rocks or in boating accidents. So never take it for granted, enjoy, but stay safe.

philip_thomson
25-07-2004, 09:43 AM
roflmao at kingtins comment. ;D ::) ;D ::)

Burley_Boy
25-07-2004, 03:34 PM
You guys crack me up. ;D ;D ;D

Don't know about that Darwin award for a guy who was catching fish by electrocuting them and then walked into the water. Can't see how that would work any more than birds on a high power line. But if he still managed to kill himself it was probably for the best, I doubt if he'd get any fish though but I'm open to suggestions there. I guess that if he got an award then it must be true. ;D ;D

Dug
25-07-2004, 06:29 PM
simply EARTH !! you need an earth to complete the current, water works really well many people have found this out during storms when power lines come down on flooded country. I hope you all have earth leakage installed in you homes. I watched a young sparky die when he drilled through a power cord.

On a lighter note Have you seen an awful movie called "The Ice Storm"?
Do you watch "South Park"
In the movie a kid in a orange parker is electrocuted in a storm in a most horrible and tragic manner.

I believe this was the birth of the "Kenny" character from South Park.