PDA

View Full Version : Do Any Of You Know About This?

Dirty_Mole
23-07-2004, 02:39 PM
Rob (My_TopEnder) got a phone call today from EXTRA asking him if he would like to help out with a story about boat ramps in Brisbane. I mean i am his brother so i believe him but i don't know aye. It a bit wierd. ???

Cheers,Sam

MY-TopEnder
24-07-2004, 03:53 AM
haha sam ya shit ya beat me to it...

I'll give them a call today and sus out what they want... the general gist of the story was the condition of boat ramps in Brisbane from what the voicemail message said... would anyone else here be willing to help out talking to them about it?

bidkev
24-07-2004, 04:31 AM

I'll give them a call today and sus out what they want... the general gist of the story was the condition of boat ramps in Brisbane from what the voicemail message said... would anyone else here be willing to help out talking to them about it?

I'll Give 'em an earful about deepwater bend Rob.

bidkev
24-07-2004, 04:31 AM

I'll Give 'em an earful about deepwater bend Rob.

Touchy - R.I.P.
24-07-2004, 04:49 AM
Not much bloody good you talking too 'em with a stutter like that Kingtin,Better off you just go & have a green death (or two) & a good lie down.!! :P ;D ;D ;D ;D.Touchy.><> ><> ><>

Jeremy
24-07-2004, 05:24 AM
I think you'd be best off getting someone from the BIAQ to talk to them. I'd be prepared to talk to them, but I don't think I would be that well informed about the state of boat ramps in Brisbane in general. There must be plenty of others on here who are though....

If you do talk to them, memtion that there are not enough ramps on the Brisbane River - ie near the city there is no access from the Northside. Pinkenba would be the closest to the city that I know of.

Also for a satisfactory ramp, we need decent concrete well below the low tide level, a pontoon for boarding, tap on site for flushing and cleaning, sufficient parking, lighting for security at night. Anthing else I am missing?

Nudgee is the best ramp close to the city that I know of. Colmslie is good too.

Rambling now...

Jeremy

SeaHunt
24-07-2004, 05:56 AM
There is a ramp at St. Lucia , I suppose you could call it Nothside. Also one on Breaky creek, Jeremy. Nowhere to park your trailer once your in, no pontoon, just concrete.
Seen the odd guy use it.
Colmslie is not wide enough, and pontoon is too small.
Personally I would take a big patch of sand over a pontoon anyday.
One or two boats tie up to a pontoon and thats it, its full, and unfortunately some people tie up there and seem to just piss off to the shop or somewhere for an hour or so. >:(
But I agree, there should be more of them, any new ones should all be 4 lanes wide, access to fresh water to flush motor and hose down the boat and trailer before you go home would be ideal, even if they had some kind of metered system that gave you 10 minutes of water for $2 would improve my relations with the neighbours no end. ::)
Another thing they should look at for new ramps is the current , they often put ramps in where there is a strong cross current, where a ramp going in at an angle would have the current largely behind or in front of you. :)

nonibbles
24-07-2004, 07:26 AM
You guys have got pontoons at your boat ramps? You're lucky. We have crocs and have to stand in the water (+/- mud) holding the boat off the concrete while the trailer gets parked!

mackmauler
24-07-2004, 07:40 AM
This one needs some attention.....

SeaHunt
24-07-2004, 07:44 AM
Thats allright Rob, no crowds , plenty of sand, looks good to me. 8)

CHRIS_aka_GWH
24-07-2004, 08:05 AM
where is that anyway rob ? whats pancake ?

craigie
24-07-2004, 09:15 AM
Yer, and while we're at it, can I have my boatramps with hot & cold running blonds ;D ;D 8).
Cheers.

SeaHunt
24-07-2004, 10:03 AM
Pancake creek Chris, up in Agnes_Jack territory I believe. ;)

MTpockets
24-07-2004, 12:28 PM
Jacobs Well has 4 lanes and isn't a bad ramp at all. I would rather see some painted lines on it tho due to the morons who like to take up half the ramp to launch a dinghy :)
Plenty of sand there too, but can be a handfull on a busy afternoon. Ramp rage can be ticking at that time and when you are waiting in turn and some clown comes down and takes up half the ramp you can see the steam rising from everyone there. I would class it as one of the best I have seen so far :)
cheers
Les

Dug
24-07-2004, 01:48 PM
Have you seen the new ramp and jetty at lake Tinaroo?

They built the jetty when the dam was low when it is full you have to swim out to the dry end of the jetty [smiley=oops.gif]

bugman
24-07-2004, 01:53 PM
Rob,

The message wasn't from Rory O'Connor was it?

Bugman

MY-TopEnder
24-07-2004, 03:11 PM
Nah Brett Michelle Brady...

I didn't get a chance to call her back but i listened to the voice mail message again and it was about boat ramps and the condition they're in... so i'll call her on Monday.

Does anyone have anything they would like to say about the condition of boat ramps and what we'd like to see at ramps if something is put to air?

I'll get the little tacker to change the topic of this so it makes more sence.

Morlers
24-07-2004, 04:06 PM
It would be nice to have a pontoon and some sand and no drop off at low tide at our Burnett Heads ramp (Bundaberg). Wash down facilities would be good too. Oh well, at least its a 4 lane ramp even though a bit slippery. Any chance 'Bris Extra' would put in a good word for us? Please. ;D

:) :)

Morlers

GES
24-07-2004, 09:04 PM
What about the ramp at Toondah Harbour (Cleveland area in Redlands Shire).
They built the ramp not long ago ... and left a bloody great mud bank in front and you can't get in or out of the place when the tide drops.
There is nowhere ( no sand, no jetty, no pontoon ) to put your boat while you park the car.
The ferrys that turn and operate out of the passenger terminal there, create wash and your boat gets shoved up the ramp and damaged or leaves it high and dry up the ramp.

GES

bidkev
25-07-2004, 03:54 AM
Not much bloody good you talking too 'em with a stutter like that Kingtin,Better off you just go & have a green death (or two) & a good lie down.!! :P ;D ;D ;D ;D.Touchy.><> ><> ><>

[smiley=hammer.gif] [smiley=oops.gif] I get a bit jumpy on me trigger finger when I think there's a chance of having a go at mindless bureaucrats [smiley=rifle.gif]

cheers

kev

bungie
25-07-2004, 08:53 AM
The ramp at St Lucia/Long Pocket at the end of Myers Rd is only usable mid tide and up as there is no concrete below that point. Same with the one at Fig Tree Pocket. Have seen cars smoking at both ramps trying to get their trailer up and over the edge of the ramp.
There is a ramp closer to the city

jaybee
25-07-2004, 09:44 AM
MY-TopEnder
Does anyone have anything they would like to say about the condition of boat ramps and what we'd like to see at ramps
How bout less rocks/mud, more sand and secure parking. well while i'm at it, cleaning tables and a wash point, and i suppose if this were to happen we will be hit with a fishing license. ;D
cheers
Joe

oscar
25-07-2004, 11:55 AM
I wouldn't recommend Jacobs Well ramp as an ideal ramp to copy. But it is the busiest and most popular ramp in S.E.Qld. If going to the Pin I wouldn't go anywhere else.
1. It's too flat for F/G boats, you have to back your car in water to the diff. To avoid damage to the stern or bottom. (Watch the boats as they land on concrete.)
2. Sand is often over three of the lanes. I have been bogged in sand on the concrete ramp, and needed towing out.
3. There needs to be at least six lanes to handle the traffic, and as Les said they need to be painted.
4. You need someone to hold your boat to the trailer, in either a S/E or N/Easter.

At next month's M & G, watch the afternoon ramp rage, the antics are worth it. The council have even built a viewing platform, for watching the fights. They also built a shower and wash down area, but removed it when they found they didn't have a water supply at Jacobs Well.
oscar

Graham_N_Roberts
25-07-2004, 06:29 PM
??? I'm not a boatie, yet, but I can see a lot of problems with ramps in areas I've visited. Why do they have to be so ruddy steep, some are smooth, some rough, some with no car park, some washed out on approaches.....blah...blah and etc.

Just what is the qualification of one who designs a boat ramp? Fool, drongo or an ignoramus to ruddy silly to listen to people who use them. Council engineer perhaps! :-X

Almost puts me off the idea of getting a boat. :-[

aussiebasser
25-07-2004, 06:56 PM
Maybe someone could ask the question about what happened to our ramp that was to be replaced after Expo. There was one at the bottom of Kangaroo Point Cliffs that was closed for Expo, then was supposed to be returned to us. They musta forgot I suppose.