PDA

View Full Version : Closing the beaches????????????

agnes_jack
25-07-2004, 10:12 AM
Does anybody have any info on the latest suggestion that the qld gov have decided to close to fishing up to 600km of qld beaches? I am totally confused about this and cant seem to find any info.
I have had quite a few people telling me that they have heard a rumor to this effect, but no one seems to know exactly what this latest is all about.
Help please

Regards, Tony ??? ??? :-/

mackmauler
25-07-2004, 10:25 AM
Hey Tony, there was something in the paper about it this morn a few pages in...sorry cant help any further didnt make much sense :-/

Rob

agnes_jack
25-07-2004, 10:54 AM
Gday Rob
Yeah mate there was a few lines in the Bundaberg newsmail this morning, but it didnt say whether it was pro,rec, where, why, whatfor or anything else for that matter.
Maybe thier new tactics are to worry us to death?????

Whatever is behind it I am sure of one thing, its gunna suck for someone!

Regards, Tony ???

mackmauler
25-07-2004, 11:05 AM
Tony, this is the article.
Rob

mackmauler
a

mackmauler
b

agnes_jack
25-07-2004, 11:08 AM
An article in this mornings Bundy newsmail.
"FISHING BAN OUTRAGE"
Fishing on beaches north of Baffle Creek between the high and low tides and opposite a green zone in the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park could be banned under a state government plan.
Environment Minister John Mickel has outraged fishers already bruised by battles over the marine park's zonings with his announcement.

Queensland Seafood Industry Association president John Olsen called the proposal "lazy bureaucracy".

Minister for Fisheries Ian MacDonald said the Queensland Government plan was "dishonest" because it encouraged fishers to seek federal government compensation for a state government decision.

Mr Mickel insisted the proposal would not affect fishers in rivers, creeks, channels, estuaries and mangroves.

??? :-/ ??? ??? ??? :-/ :-/ ???

Burley_Boy
25-07-2004, 03:00 PM
Sounds like someone with too much power would rather act than think. If people started considering what would achieve tangible effective results rather than using a bulldozer approach we'd all be a lot better off. :(

Some pollies and govt employees would be more effective as berley....
;D

Dug
26-07-2004, 04:09 AM
I don't know I think it is about time that we made more Non Fishing zones to give the fish stocks a chance to recover I'm willing to put up with the inconvenience if I know I will catch a fish somewhere. It worked in NZ in-spite of huge criticism by Pros and amateurs.

Imagine if ever second river system in Queensland was closed to netting?

agnes_jack
26-07-2004, 04:32 AM
Dug
There would be good reason to close rivers to netting. I'm all for protection where warranted in areas of importance. Any idea what they are trying to protect by closing miles of beaches? There was no shortage of dart last time I had a beach fish! ;D

Regards, Tony

blaze
26-07-2004, 05:11 AM
Hi Tony
In Tassie we have closed off a lot of eustaries to all forms of netting, not sure on the nets used up there, but down here the nets were a drag net used and they we dragged over the sea grass etc and ruined the breeding habatat. you only need to walk the shallows at night to see the little fish in amounst the grasses. I dont think it will be many years before all amature netting is banned in tassie and there seems to be no great effort to stop it happening, nets catch or kill all sorts of non target species. I hate them. I would like to see a total netting ban 5km from any land mass/islands in tassie and the pros with there bigger boats can fish outside that limit.
cheers
blaze

agnes_jack
26-07-2004, 05:49 AM
Gday Blaze
I get the immpression that these new closures are to all forms of fishing not just netting. If it was just netting I'd have no probs with it at all :D
I find it hard to believe that they can justify stopping mum, dad and the kids from catching a few dart and whiting etc on a sunday arvo. I could be jumping the gun a bit too, I have no idea what areas etc they are talking about. Had one suggestion made that this may only be to close a loop hole where gbrmpa only has duristiction to the low water mark, Where there is a green zone on the coast, one could technically go to the beach at high tide and fish as far out as the low tide line, without breaking the rules. In southern areas this would be ridiculous as the difference between high and low is only say-20m, but in areas up north this may allow you to fish for hundreds of metres into a green zone. (if ya get me drift) Just trying to clarify what its all about.

Regards Tony :-/

Dug
26-07-2004, 08:11 AM
There was a big ad in the sunday paper about this this is the link to look at sounds like a good idea and a chance to have a say. If anyone listens is another thing.

http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/parks_and_forests/marine_parks/proposed_gbr_zoning/

agnes_jack
26-07-2004, 09:17 AM
Thanks for that dug
Thats what I was after just to clarify the issue. Doesnt appear to be any new areas other than what has just been brought in with the green zones, but closes that loophole between high and low water. May stop some of the netting. cool!

Thanks, Tony

Dug
26-07-2004, 09:47 AM
I think we should go for a netting ban on all beaches! Say a 5km zone from the high tide mark? and every second river system up the coastline banned from pro netting ?

I cant throw a cast net for shit anyway ;D