PDA

View Full Version : catch report from singapore

catalyst
27-07-2004, 10:32 PM
hi guys juz to share some of my catches on 24-07-04, went to the local freshwater ground in the morning.
tackle use:
daiwa CV-X103A,Shimano exgage XT 4-12 LBS, 10Lbs fireline, lure Furry popper.
1st & 2nd species: Haruan "Channa Striata"
3rd species:Toman "Channa mircopeltes"

Family Channidae
Africa, Asia. The snakeheads are characterised by their torpedo-shaped body, large, scale-plated head, and long dorsal and anal fins. Their accessory breathing organ which enables them to breathe atmospheric air, is situated in the upper part of the gill-chamber.
Many of the species do not hunt actively, but wait patiently for small animals like fish, frogs or shrimps to come within close range, and then literally suck these into the mouth. Their jaws and teeth are formidable. Snakeheads usually lavish parental care on their brood, daring to challenge large animals (even man) when their young are threatened. There have been reports of humans being badly injured by the larger species as a result of this. In Singapore, the toman, largest of all the world's snakeheads, is cultured in fish ponds and reservoirs, and is an esteemed game fish, for it is a strong fighter when hooked, as well as being an excellent food fish. In some reservoirs and ponds, they can become pests. This large snakehead is to some extent gregarious, sometimes travelling in small packs. The juveniles are highly prone to school and gather into a tight shoal near their parents. The fish is coloured and patterned differently in the various growth stages. Small examples are sometimes kept in aquaria.

catalyst
27-07-2004, 10:32 PM
pics

catalyst
27-07-2004, 10:33 PM
last pics

jaybee
28-07-2004, 04:17 AM
thanks for the report cat very interesting, can you eat them?
cheers
Joe

lordy
28-07-2004, 04:50 AM
I believe they are a worrying pest in North America. Shame. A great fish in its natural enviroment though.

Mr.Ocean
28-07-2004, 08:15 AM
Hi

Wow! that's big snakeheads , keep coming mate.

Cheers

snappa
28-07-2004, 09:55 AM
mr ocean
just came back from K.L.
no fishing just bloody shopping ;)
coming your way soon ;D

el_carpo
28-07-2004, 11:33 AM
That's true Lordy. Some were caught in the south eastern states and alerts were sent out all over. They are worried that they will overrun the native species. It was neat to see one. Thanks for posting it catalyst.

catalyst
28-07-2004, 10:43 PM
hi guys the fishes were C&R, that wat i normally do hehheeh to preserve the stock back here.

to jaybee the fishes can be eaten, they have firm white flesh juz like barra in aus.

as for some country, they are consider pest but back here they do help to keep the population of tilapia down. i reckon they fight better than any largemouth bass or peacook bass due to their never say die attitude. imagine a mangrove jack with more set of teeth. they will head for the nearest snag. in singapore the normal size 3-6kg sometime if u are lucky a monstor will come by 15kg.... hahahaahh i wish for that day
hope to post more report from singapore in the future...
tight lines guys!!!!!!!!!!

Jewmaster
29-07-2004, 02:13 PM
Good to hear from you keep the pics coming.