PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Inspectors - Gold Coast Area

flathead40
31-07-2004, 04:37 PM
Does anyone know how many fishing inspectors cover the Gold Coast region?
I fish this region often and have never been inspected. This is probably because I fish only at dawn and dusk and therefore
have missed them (9 to 5ers?).
I am land based and maybe they have bigger fish to fry. I know from my boating friends that the inspectors are out on the water.
However, as you are all aware, unfortunately undersize fish get taken all the time, by all nationalities Aussies included.
I have never heard of your average landbased fisherman being fined or having their gear confiscated for having undersize fish.
There was one unusual case of some guy catching undersize whiting to feed to a pelican but that is all I know about.
I have put that Fishwatch 1800 number on my mobile but I am not very enthusiastic about it as I never see any convictions.
Good fishing everybody,
Neil

fbeen

joeT
31-07-2004, 06:57 PM
I've been inspected once land based at Southport about 5 years ago.

ba229
31-07-2004, 07:47 PM
simple answer to Qld and NSW is there aren't enough inspectors for the people who do the right thing. The only people who don't want to see more is the people who break the (fair) laws.

polydriver
01-08-2004, 04:15 PM
If you check out the DPI web site there are 120 Boating and Fisheries Officers in Queensland. No where near enough for the amount of water we have. When the latest Stats say there is one boat registered for every 22 people, you would have to be very unlucky to get inspected and/or caught.

Richo1
01-08-2004, 06:26 PM
Have been pulled over 4 times in 25 years and never asked to even open the esky,and I have never been pulled over at work on commercial vessels in 11years.
Cheers